Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2 Pre-Announcement Thread

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
I would like more darker gothic fantasy tone with all political schemes as start for the conflict. As a twist, the main focus of the story would involve deep and profound narration coated with dark fantasy genre.

Seari

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm glad The Black Hound didn't happen, it would've been shit. It has fuck all to do with Baldur's Gate.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'm glad The Black Hound didn't happen, it would've been shit. It has fuck all to do with Baldur's Gate.
Neither does any other game with the title Baldur's Gate other than the first.

Theldaran

Liturgist
I was looking for a good game, Baldur's Gate tag or not. The question was (and is, with Obsidian) - could they keep delivering great games? The Baldur's Gate tag attracts a lot of attention... and budget.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I would like more darker gothic fantasy tone with all political schemes as start for the conflict. As a twist, the main focus of the story would involve deep and profound narration coated with dark fantasy genre.
Going by recent information gathered by Infinitron, PoE 2 will definitely be the darkest fantasy you've ever seen. :M

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Going by recent information gathered by Infinitron, PoE 2 will definitely be the darkest fantasy you've ever seen. :M

:lol: When they show us that first screenshot it's going to make the Codex's reaction to the Torment companion portraits look like Tumblr.

I feel like everything is dark tainted darkness in edgy darktown, these days. Maybe inaccurate, but from my knowledge there really hasn't been many mainstream rpg's with the setting being light and bright on the good side and that area actually being a good place. Also gone is the western-movie style good vs. evil and the heroes that are really virtuous heroes, as opposed to conflicted characters, mixed characters, or anti-heroes. But I also think the concept of virtue has been 95% abandoned by the West, so I've got a real bias here.

Sannom

Augur
Project Louisiana confirmed to be Pillars of Eternity 2, set in the Vailian Republics city of Revua?
If that's the case, I'm expecting an Effigy to come up and fuck shit up at some point.

I was hoping to leave the Eastern Reach myself, but Vailian Republics is fine. With all the Readceras stuff in TWM I was sort of dreading that they might set it there, which would have been a shame considering how similar it sounds to the Dyrwood.
Readceras is a conservative theocracy with rigid rules of conduct for everyone and a place for every man, woman and child in the work for the greater good. It does not sound like the Dyrwood at all.

You guys mean Cultural Appropriation™ African Italy Edition?
Apparently.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Vallia will only be fun if we get to be involved in politics and all that. I want factions to mean something in this game. Be it political parties, important figuerheads, trading companies or whatever. If that's in, I don't care what they do for the main plot.
Do you really want even more walls of Sawyer approved text in a PoE sequel?

Rake

Arcane
Vallia will only be fun if we get to be involved in politics and all that. I want factions to mean something in this game. Be it political parties, important figuerheads, trading companies or whatever. If that's in, I don't care what they do for the main plot.
Better than tons of Sawyer approved combat in a PoE sequel

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Maybe Sawyer will get lured away to Beamdog too. They do need somebody to make Baldur's Gate 3 for them...

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I was hoping to leave the Eastern Reach myself, but Vailian Republics is fine. With all the Readceras stuff in TWM I was sort of dreading that they might set it there, which would have been a shame considering how similar it sounds to the Dyrwood.
Readceras is a conservative theocracy with rigid rules of conduct for everyone and a place for every man, woman and child in the work for the greater good. It does not sound like the Dyrwood at all.
I meant appearance-wise. Former Aedyran colony, likely similar architecture, small farming towns, meadows and forests.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Revua
Project Louisiana confirmed to be Pillars of Eternity 2, set in the Vailian Republics city of Revua?

If he wrote he's travelling south-SE from current postion in Revua, does that mean POE2 won't be set in Vailian republic but in never seen locations of Eora yet ?

Btw, is Josh Sawyer lurking on this forums?
I would like and I would suggest that in POE2 we see along what Rivmusique said:
  1. huge underground and underwater cities, ruins, complexes
  2. strange architecture
  3. lovedraftian tone of game
  4. darker forests with gigantic trees
  5. compelling story

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't mind. Just make it more interesting than the first game. I've never had issues with walls of text.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
From posts here I'm getting the feeling people are expecting the sequel to be set in a warmer climate, but there is evidence to the contrary, that's at least if Josh isn't planning to subvert his own lore.

From the strategy guide:
The Eastern Reach is a region in the southern hemisphere, named so by Aedyran colonists. It is the part of Eora in which Pillars of Eternity takes place, an area maybe a little smaller than real-world Spain.

We don't know the size of the planet or its distance from the Sun, but if it's comparable to Earth's, as you go south, it should be quickly getting colder, not warmer.

When I was at school, they used to teach us that for a picture to be called a map, it has to have two things - a scale, and a sign which way is North. PoE's official map does not have a scale. Sloppy as usual.

I made a selection of the Eastern Reach, slapped it on top of a Spain map where the scale had been noted, and resized and turned, until it was relatively fitting to the scale of Spain. Then I measured the width of one of the little house symbols designating a city/town. It was equal to about 20 km. I used this as a measure, to know how much 20 km would be on the original unresized map of The Eastern Reach. Long story short, the distance by air from Defiance Bay to Revua should be around 624 miles or around 1005 km. That's just about the distance from Washington to Quebec City. That's roughly how much colder it should be, if we disregard other variables determining the climate or consider them roughly equal.

I've also asked Josh on his tumblr, to see what distance he will give.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Please, post it what he'll respond.
What to you think about idea of venturing to other realms though portals in Eora ?
Are other planes consistent and permittable by Eora lore?
This could lead to wild locations and environment.

Fry

Arcane
Where's the scale, damn you. WHERE'S THE SCALE?!?

720802EDA81BB7E4BAE0ADA06233B620BB089AE4

You shouldn't be putting so much effort into drawing conclusions from a CRPG map which probably isn't scaled particularly consistently to begin with.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Throne of Bhaal was in an outright desert. :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom