Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2 Pre-Announcement Thread

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
From posts here I'm getting the feeling people are expecting the sequel to be set in a warmer climate, but there is evidence to the contrary, that's at least if Josh isn't planning to subvert his own lore.

From the strategy guide:
The Eastern Reach is a region in the southern hemisphere, named so by Aedyran colonists. It is the part of Eora in which Pillars of Eternity takes place, an area maybe a little smaller than real-world Spain.

We don't know the size of the planet or its distance from the Sun, but if it's comparable to Earth's, as you go south, it should be quickly getting colder, not warmer.

When I was at school, they used to teach us that for a picture to be called a map, it has to have two things - a scale, and a sign which way is North. PoE's official map does not have a scale. Sloppy as usual.

I made a selection of the Eastern Reach, slapped it on top of a Spain map where the scale had been noted, and resized and turned, until it was relatively fitting to the scale of Spain. Then I measured the width of one of the little house symbols designating a city/town. It was equal to about 20 km. I used this as a measure, to know how much 20 km would be on the original unresized map of The Eastern Reach. Long story short, the distance by air from Defiance Bay to Revua should be around 624 miles or around 1005 km. That's just about the distance from Washington to Quebec City. That's roughly how much colder it should be, if we disregard other variables determining the climate or consider them roughly equal.

I've also asked Josh on his tumblr, to see what distance he will give.

http://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/141860196656/hi-josh-whats-the-aerial-distance-from-defiance

marmot01 asked: Hi Josh! What's the aerial distance from Defiance Bay to Revua, in US miles, or in km? I made some calculations and I want to check if they were right. Thanks!

We’ve never defined a precise scale for that map so I’m reluctant to say anything definitive, but somewhere in the 300-600 mile range, probably. I know that’s a large range and vague.

I thought somebody asked this question as an oblique way of getting Josh to say something about PoE2, until I saw your post. :M

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
There's still a respectable amount of quest, item and ability bugs in the game, so it'll probably take a while before the final patch comes out.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
There's still a respectable amount of quest, item and ability bugs in the game, so it'll probably take a while before the final patch comes out.

Take a gander at the huge changelogs for the unofficial BG/BG2 patches. Those bugs are never getting fixed.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
In case it wasn't obvious, Adam Brennecke is also on this: https://www.linkedin.com/in/jabby

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/83320-project-louisiana-not-fallout-related/?p=1795107

Adam Brennecke said:
getlost.gif

Theldaran

Liturgist
Isn't "Lovecraftian tone" too much to ask for PoE's sequel, considering the run-of-the-mill setting of the first part? I mean, they had some cool ideas, but they were all drowned amidst the sheer blandness of the Dyrwood. Probably, said blandness was derived from the need to appeal to IE gamers, so the general feel was similar -but dulled.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
PoE does tackle question fundamental to religion in own fantasy settings. I had in mind using elements Lovecraft thought lie outside of our knowledge and are difficult to comprehend.
Soul, god that makes life end in death, hopelessness, pilgrimage for pursuing your own faith, etc., are in this unknown category which you try to grasp when exploring the story.
Lovecraft wrote about cosmic horror and gods fallen into a deathlike sleep. Again, in PoE there is Death Godlike class which could be an worshipers of ancient gods.

H.P. L. does include connection with space and sci-fi at some point but also points to human belief and unknown of faith. Elements of it could be adapted to a great lore ideas even for this fantasy genre.

Theldaran

Liturgist
But the thing is... will it sell that way? Everyone wants the next Fallout 4. In this regard, the more generic the better. You don't want to appeal to the small niche of people who would like Lovecraftian horror on their game.

Trashos

Arcane
But the thing is... will it sell that way? Everyone wants the next Fallout 4. In this regard, the more generic the better. You don't want to appeal to the small niche of people who would like Lovecraftian horror on their game.

It seems to me that the most famous settings first appealed to niche audiences and only later they were reduced to appeal to the lowest common denomintor. Fallout is certainly a good example of that. Maybe it is because the setting was given the appropriate attention in its childhood or maybe it is because casuals feel upgraded when something also appeals to niche audiences. It is a game of prestige, to some extent.

Generic settings look safe, but certainly they are not the best one can do. If Obsidian wants a slice of Bethesda's or Bioware's pie, they have to do significantly better than Bethesda/Bioware. The challenger always has more work to do than the defending champion.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Well the biodrone crowd is a force to be reckoned with, and Bethesda reigns supreme, but Obsidian has its fair share of fanbois. So in a way they have something to build upon. But, generally no one today wants niche products. Their aim is grand sales. And to do it better than those... well, the starting point is to do something *different*. And in a way, they already do.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Where's the scale, damn you. WHERE'S THE SCALE?!?

720802EDA81BB7E4BAE0ADA06233B620BB089AE4

You shouldn't be putting so much effort into drawing conclusions from a CRPG map which probably isn't scaled particularly consistently to begin with.

Oh please. Contrary to popular belief BGII isn't sacrosanct. Civilization in the 1990s was already advanced enough for people to know how to draw maps:
ZZr89xl.jpg
(TSR 1031 Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting 1st Edition) Not that hard, is it?

Anyway, I was thinking about something else - if this is the southern hemisphere, and Vailia is to the south of Aedyr, this must mean some very weird migrations of populaces throughout Eora have taken place. I see no other non-magical (and fitting the setting) way for the Vailians to be sporting such levels of melanine. It's curious that the darker-skinned people should live closer to the pole than the white.

Fry

Arcane
Oh please. Contrary to popular belief BGII isn't sacrosanct.

Ssssh! They'll hear you!

Anyway, I was thinking about something else - if this is the southern hemisphere, and Vailia is to the south of Aedyr, this must mean some very weird migrations of populaces throughout Eora have taken place. I see no other non-magical (and fitting the setting) way for the Vailians to be sporting such levels of melanine. It's curious that the darker-skinned people should live closer to the pole than the white.

If you want to get all scientific, there are other factors in involved. Compare native Alaskans to Norwegians. The former get about the same if not less sun, but they have darker skin. Why? The lightening of skin in darker climates is almost certainly an evolutionary response to vitamin D deficiency. Vitamin D is produced naturally by the body when exposed to sunlight. Less sunlight = less vitamin D to the point where diseases like rickets become endemic and have a noticeable reproductive impact on the population. This creates evolutionary pressure encouraging skin lightening...unless vitamin D is coming from other sources. Native Alaskans have (or had) a diet very high in meat and fat, both of which contain a lot of vitamin D. The original migrants to Northern Europe, on the other hand, probably had a diet fairly low in meat products, so there was evolutionary pressure to lighten the skin in order to collect as much vitamin D from the sun as possible.

Or it could just be that not wandering around with exposed skin in a sunny place meant that there was no evolutionary pressure to maintain dark skin, so a series of random mutations which happened to lighten skin weren't punished by early life skin cancer and light skin became fixed more or less by chance.

Or... no one really thought about it. Ask Sawyer again. :M

Fry

Arcane
I think you're forgetting that the Arctic is essentially dark most of the day in winter.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Are you really going to argue about this stuff after I already posted a link to an explanation

Originally from the far north and migrated south over thousands of years.[2]

Originally lived near the equator for many millennia, the true meaning of the name is "warm ring" but to most they are known as "Ocean folk".[2]

The real question is where are the Azn people in Eora. :P

Neanderthal

Arcane
Been talkin wi a few backers on Obs forums via PMs lately, an its surprisin how many say they wunt back Poe 2 based on first game, specially high level backers who thought they were shit on. As one lad said "I donated over $500 and yet a retarded fat Tranny gets to decide what goes in the game, whereas I am ignored and my backer content was poorly implemented (utterly changed) to say the least" which I can't fuckin argue wi, as we all know backer stuff were shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom