Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Beta Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Dunno, a lot of the changes made to the game (floating damage, etc) and all that make it completely possible to play without it, so it wouldn't surprise me. At least they have started putting a bit more effort into how things are pasted into the log now.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
The enemies targetting the pet was a bit odd, that probably shouldn't happen.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, the pig pet (Piggly) won me a couple battles because 1-2 mobs would target him instead of my party. Better than the ranger pet.

Metal Hurlant

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Going through the first 25 backer updates. There's surprisingly a lot of updates from Tim Cain. Looks like they didn't listen to him.

Update 7 - Non-Combat Abilities with Tim Cain said said:
Design Goals
- Non-combat skills are gained separately from combat skills. You shouldn't have to choose between Magic Missile and Herbalism. They should be separate types of abilities, and you should spend different points to get each one.
- Avoiding combat does not lead to less experience gain. You shouldn't go up levels any slower by using your non-combat skills rather than your combat skills. We plan to reward you for your accomplishments, not for your body count.

We're seeing in the current beta, combat and non-combat skills put in together.

Bestiary XP is all about body count to get those bestiary pages and rewards for killing.

Update 12 - Reddit Q&A with Tim Cain said said:
we are considering adding multi-classing to the game. A better way to put this answer is that we are not ruling them out at this time. If they work well with our final system, we will offer them.

While not a confirmation, I wonder if they really tried to put multi-classing in.

Update 20 - Big Cities with Josh Sawyer said said:
Baldur's Gate and Athkatla are big cities. Spanning multiple large maps with a ton of interiors, characters and quests, big cities are a lot of fun. Like strongholds, they also take a lot of work to do well. We're going to have one big city in Project Eternity. Would you like two? If you take us on an exciting adventure to $3.5 Million, we will take you on an exciting adventure to another big city.

Comparisons to the cities of Baldur's Gate and Athkatla. Going by Sensuki who has seen all the maps in the source code, he's said the cities are VERY small. While the big cities in PoE might span over multiple maps, those maps are going to be small according to Sensuki.

Dyrford only has one inn. In BG1, small towns like Nashkel had maps that were still big and had two inns. When you look at IWD1, the maps like Easthaven, Kuldaher and Lonleywood only have one inn and maps were generally smaller. PoE seems to be taking more from IWD than BG1/BG2 despite the original comparison to BG1/BG2 with its Big Cities.

Update 22 - Q&A with Tim Cain said said:
We will certainly be adding animations to our backgrounds. The trees should sway, there will be birds or butterflies or insect clouds, depending on where you are, and the water in rivers and waterfalls will flow.

Q. Will there be low intelligence/charisma dialog?

Tim Cain: Yes, we will have these dialogs. They are a great deal of work, since it means writing two versions of every dialog in the game, but I am sure that our wonderful writers are up to it. I really want these dialogs too! I find it fun to replay the game with a low intelligence character, just to see how the NPC's react to my slow-witted attempts to help them.

Trees should be swaying. (also mentioned more and actual video footage in Update 49)

Low intelligence dialogue confirmed. And the big one. TWO versions of every dialogue in the game.
yes.gif

Update 23 - Feargus Urquhart talks about the Documentary said said:
So, we are happy to announce that we are going to include a stream, download, or physical copy of the documentary in all of our Kickstarter reward tiers. At the $20/$25 level you will be able to stream it, at the $35 level you will be able to download it, and at the $140 level (and physical tiers above) we will include a DVD / Blu-ray.

No more physical copy. Instead the high tier backers get a notepad. LOL.

Update 24 - Josh Sawyer on Stamina and Health said said:
The priests of the Forgotten Realms run around with boatloads of cure x wounds spells, the ability to banish disease, and even the power to bring the dead back to life.

In Project Eternity, prospects are not so bright.

Unlike many fantasy settings, there is very little access to curative magic. Remedies for health problems often have only a palliative or placebo effect at best.

New talents introduced can now cure health. So lets STILL ignore magic. The talent itself of putting a Band-Aid on your profusely bleeding arm now cures your health. This is more than a placebo effect!

Overall: A lot of promises during the Kickstarter campaign and it comes across as throwing things out there and not realising the implications of what they were saying and not being able to back up those things.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Comparisons to the cities of Baldur's Gate and Athkatla. Going by Sensuki who has seen all the maps in the source code, he's said the cities are VERY small. While the big cities in PoE might span over multiple maps, those maps are going to be small according to Sensuki.

Seen small images of the maps in the game files. You can see in the stream that Copperlane is a good size, nice and big. Ondra's Gift is also big - it's very similar to BG2 Docks area and very clearly inspired by it. Brackenbury and First Fires are small, and Heratige Hill is um, maybe half way in between.

Twin Elms isn't really a big city. There's like one city area. The others are not really part of the city and they're not 'city maps'.

Still, they did end up with a larger game than BG1 going by map size, even if the cities are smaller. I can only hope that they get enough funding to do a sequel that can compete with BG2 size.

mastroego

Arcane
Overall: A lot of promises during the Kickstarter campaign and it comes across as throwing things out there and not realising the implications of what they were saying and not being able to back up those things.

You'd expect a project put in the hands of a no-fun oriented know-it-all overlord to at least succeed on the technical and operational side.
What a wasted opportunity.
Then again, it probably never was a real opportunity.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ah okay. You're now comparing Obsidian to every other developer, person, noob, etc that's put a project on Kickstarter. Gotcha.

Yes, including their peers such as inXile Entertainment, Harebrained Schemes, and Larian Studios, the latter of which released a game with a fuckton of broken promises that is nevertheless immensely popular. So why are we talking about this again?

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Did the PoE kickstarter promise something that the game isn't delivering, like Larian did with the mega dungeon?

polo

Magister
Yes, including their peers such as inXile Entertainment, Harebrained Schemes, and Larian Studios, the latter of which released a (TB) game with a fuckton of broken promises that is nevertheless immensely popular. So why are we talking about this again?

:troll:

Metal Hurlant

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Yes, including their peers such as inXile Entertainment, Harebrained Schemes, and Larian Studios, the latter of which has made a game with a fuckton of broken promises that is nevertheless immensely popular. So why are we talking about this?

And also comparing Obsidian to people who have never developed a game in their life. And comparing Obsidian to Omnicorp, the makers of the fake Grimoire. That's a great comparison by lowering Obsidian to the standard of Omnicorp.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Did the PoE kickstarter promise something that the game isn't delivering, like Larian did with the mega dungeon?
An IE-like game.

Yes, we will have these dialogs. They are a great deal of work, since it means writing two versions of every dialog in the game, but I am sure that our wonderful writers are up to it.
Wow, what a slap in their writers' face. They really weren't up to it. So apparently even their writers are showing signs of decline.

Weasel
Yes, including their peers such as inXile Entertainment, Harebrained Schemes, and Larian Studios, the latter of which released a game with a fuckton of broken promises that is nevertheless immensely popular. So why are we talking about this again?

Well, we did discuss this with all those other devs so why not with Obsidian? Does it have special favoured-dev status or something?

Sensuki

Arcane
One guy that doesn't like me isn't gonna put me off from giving feedback on a game I want to be good (well, there's lots of people that have said stuff like that but at least on the official boards there's a lot more people that agree than disagree usually). Something Awful is a different story usually.

LizardWizard

Cipher
Going through the first 25 backer updates. There's surprisingly a lot of updates from Tim Cain. Looks like they didn't listen to him.

Game would have been an epic spergfest with Timothy as lead.. could have been amazing. I also liked what I read about the crafting/degrade system until SA cried that one away

Duraframe300

Arcane
Game would have been an epic spergfest with Timothy as lead.. could have been amazing. I also liked what I read about the crafting/degrade system until SA cried that one away

Wasn't that cried away by everyone? I remember people complaining on the codex about it as well.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
He removed it because of complaints on the Obsidian forums. The butthurt was overwhelming.

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Well, there's always the future. Now if it was not for this past year of incline I would not have much hope. Hopefully Obsidian will put Tim to good use in the future.

And yes, repair system would have been great... Why do people hate repair systems so much? :( And critical misses. And engagement systems. You would almost believe people do not like game mechanics at all.

Okay, I remain open-minded towards PoE's implementation of engagement. It might or might not suck. I've deliberately kept myself from playing the beta. But if there was not already such a system in place, I know for sure I would be the first to request one.

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I like the engagment system quite a bit. Although my time playing the beta is fairly short, and I haven't learned yet all there is to the game mechanics, and also can't say the possible problems or "degenerative gameplay" that right now the engagment system has.

But in terms of the "feeling" that left me, which is all I can talk about PoE, I liked it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom