Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Pillars of Eternity Beta Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Discussion in 'Obsidian Entertainment' started by Duraframe300, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Sensuki Arcane Cuck

Sensuki
    Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    One guy that doesn't like me isn't gonna put me off from giving feedback on a game I want to be good (well, there's lots of people that have said stuff like that but at least on the official boards there's a lot more people that agree than disagree usually). Something Awful is a different story usually.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. LizardWizard Arbiter

LizardWizard
    Game would have been an epic spergfest with Timothy as lead.. could have been amazing. I also liked what I read about the crafting/degrade system until SA cried that one away

^ Top  
  3. Duraframe300 Arcane

Duraframe300
    Wasn't that cried away by everyone? I remember people complaining on the codex about it as well.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. LizardWizard Arbiter

LizardWizard
    Sawyer actually listens to SA though

^ Top  
  5. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    He removed it because of complaints on the Obsidian forums. The butthurt was overwhelming.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. Rostere Arcane Patron

Rostere
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Well, there's always the future. Now if it was not for this past year of incline I would not have much hope. Hopefully Obsidian will put Tim to good use in the future.

And yes, repair system would have been great... Why do people hate repair systems so much? :( And critical misses. And engagement systems. You would almost believe people do not like game mechanics at all.

Okay, I remain open-minded towards PoE's implementation of engagement. It might or might not suck. I've deliberately kept myself from playing the beta. But if there was not already such a system in place, I know for sure I would be the first to request one.

^ Top  
  7. Bleed the Man Arcane Patron

Bleed the Man
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I like the engagment system quite a bit. Although my time playing the beta is fairly short, and I haven't learned yet all there is to the game mechanics, and also can't say the possible problems or "degenerative gameplay" that right now the engagment system has.

But in terms of the "feeling" that left me, which is all I can talk about PoE, I liked it.

^ Top  
  8. tuluse Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

tuluse
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Weapon durability is pure annoyance. You cannot as a player, play "better" and have your weapons degrade slower or not at all. The only games it works in are ones where equipment is scarce and having that pistol with 3 bullets where you aren't sure it will even fire all of them is a core part of the game.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  9. Copper Savant

Copper
    Yeah, fucked up playing SS2 as a kid and ended up trying to defeat the Many boss thing with a bunch of out-of-ammo guns and a broken laser.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  11. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite

Roguey
    I could tell from the way he presented it that Josh didn't particularly care for the durability system and let it out as a trial balloon to spare Tim's feelings.

By the by here's a bunch of Imp Zoners (SA's not-quite-YCS replacement) talkin' 'bout Sensuki

Laughed through that whole page.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Merlkir Arcane Developer

Merlkir
    They....like Sensuki? At least they wished he'll like the game, that's something. :D

^ Top  
  13. Bleed the Man Arcane Patron

Bleed the Man
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    At least one of them has a brain.

I can't understand how anyone can be butthurt about Sensuki's feedback of the Beta. He's super dedicated to the game, and every single complaint that he has is deeply thought out and offers alternatives that he thinks would work better taking into account the design objectives from Josh.

They don't have to agree with his suggestions, but not seeing the massive value of his imput is just plain retarded.

^ Top  
  14. Abu Antar Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Fuck Sensuki and damn him to hell for pointing out stuff that could possibly improve the game and prevent bugs.

^ Top  
  15. Zed Codex Staff Patron

Zed
    Codex USB, 2014
    I hope they add some cool designs/carvings/whatevs on the solid UI.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. Abu Antar Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    BAdler responds to a question

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite

Roguey
    Yah, there's no way in hell they're adding new features at this point. All about fixing and polish.

I saw someone post and explain some of Absurdian's completely and totally inept code at badgame and laughed so much. They have a lot of work cut out for themselves (not Josh's fault).

^ Top  
  18. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Hi, coffeetable.

It's been posted here already.

^ Top  
  19. Abu Antar Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Roguey Why are you calling them Absurdian all of a sudden? Or am I missing something?

^ Top  
  20. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite

Roguey
    I first called them Absuridan on July 9, 2011 and have done so at least 19 other times since then. I have very little respect for most of the people who work there. Subpar at art, Subpar at coding, full of bad players, bad at management, list goes on.

Recent Josh-posting highlighting Obsidian absurdity:

^ Top  
  21. Abu Antar Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Yet they manage to get a job over there? That sounds strange.

^ Top  
  22. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    More from badgame - Sawyer on QA: http://badgame.net/index.php?topic=19797.msg7651388#msg7651388

^ Top  
  23. agris Arcane Patron

agris
    What does it mean to have a bad "regression rate"? Not finding bugs that were once fixed, but appear again later?

^ Top  
  24. tuluse Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

tuluse
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    When fixing one bug creates other bugs.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. agris Arcane Patron

agris
    A lot of what he's complaining about sounds like the off-shoot of having a medium to large team (>10 people) and having a poor management infrastructure. The hand isn't talking to the foot, etc.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)