Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Beta Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

imweasel

Wat. :lol:

Is Sawyer just being grumpy or can we expect an article or aomething to be posted on the Codex soon?

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Bobby Null "goes deep" about Level Design and Raedric's Hold

Bobby Null said:
Towards the end of the project. It was a fun level to design and was truly a team effort. I'll give you a briefish rundown of how the process worked. It kinda went like this...

1. One day I walked into Josh's office and was like... "Hey Josh, I want to design a big-ass gothic castle level. What do you think?". Josh responds with a silent emphatic head nod.

2. I then go to Jorge Salgado, one of our level designers, and say something along the lines of "Yo, Jorge. I'm gonna come in this weekend and design a big ass gothic castle level. You in?" I'm paraphrasing here, but he replied something like "F%^$ yeah!".

3. So we came in on a Saturday and I explained how I wanted the level flow to work (being vague so I don't spoil it). We then started tossing out story ideas for the quest. After an hour or two, we were both happy with the idea and Jorge drew some layout ideas for the exterior on the whiteboard in our office.

4. We bantered a few times, refined a few things here and there and called it a day. I then assigned block out duties to Jorge.

5. Later, he blocked out the exterior and interior areas. The early blockouts were sick, but needed some refinement. I had Jorge make some level flow adjustments and various tweaks to the blockout. Early on it was a little easy to get lost in this place.

6. Once I approved the blockout revisions, the levels went off to level art. Sean Dunny worked the exterior, while Hector Espinoza and April Giron worked the interiors.

7. Once the first pass art was in, Jorge implemented the first pass of the level content, including quest and dialogue.

8. Once we had a playable level, I played through the level multiple times and wrote notes.

9. Next, Rob Neslor (Art Director) and I got together and reviewed the first pass art. We made dozens of notes (which included new props needed) for a second art pass.

10. At this point, Jorge needed to move on to work on Twin Elms. I assigned Olivia Veras, one of our newer area designers, to take the level home. She and I worked closely to refine the quest content, level flow, dialogue, combat pacing, loot, balance, etc. She did a fantastic job finishing the level and making it shine. She worked closely with Eric Fenstermaker and Carrie Patel, the narrative designers on the project, to make sure the narrative of the area blended well with the critical path elements of Gilded Vale.

11.Then, the finishing touches (like the lit stain glass and scripted interaction art) we're put in and polished. John Lewis handled the various visual effects in the area, while Kaz supplied the SI art.

12. Finally, Justin Bell and the audio guys worked their magic on the music and sound fx of the area.

This is obviously an abbreviated rundown of how we make levels, but hopefully it gives you guys a little understanding of how a level can come together. Sometimes there is a ton of planning, writing documents, and waiting months before the work even begins. Raedric's came together quickly. It certainly helps when it is closer to the end of the production cycle and we can more accurately project how long things will take. This is because the developers are used to the workflow and tools their using, we have a library of assets to draw upon and the team is more or less working like a well-oiled machine.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
No idea, but I just bought another 3 digital copies of the game today (group buy on GAF and extra key for myself so i can have one for steam and one for gog).

Apexeon

Arcane

Bobby Null said:
Towards the end of the project. It was a fun level to design and was truly a team effort. I'll give you a briefish rundown of how the process worked. It kinda went like this...

1. One day I walked into Josh's office and was like... "Hey Josh, I want to design a big-ass gothic castle level. What do you think?". Josh responds with a silent emphatic head nod.

So they just come up with stuff and glue it in

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Bobby Null said:

So they just come up with stuff and glue it in
How is this different than with any other areas? Every area starts as an idea, and then tailored to te game and "glued" in.

Sensuki

Arcane
Bester has been enabling cut content in areas

A brief on missing shit from Stormwall Gorge

Neutral NPCs - possibly with dialogue
A puzzle (possibly)
After the flood ends you encounter Staelgar and Forest Lurkers and there is a cave down the bottom.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
All these "fantastic", "fuck yeah", "sick",... I wish somebody would just come out and say "at first it looked like shit", then I'd actually start listening to what the person says. When it's all "fabulous", there's no way to discern what was actually good and what wasn't.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Bester has been enabling cut content in areas

A brief on missing shit from Stormwall Gorge

Neutral NPCs - possibly with dialogue
A puzzle (possibly)
After the flood ends you encounter Staelgar and Forest Lurkers and there is a cave down the bottom.

Cut from the backer beta or cut from the game altogether?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
All these "fantastic", "fuck yeah", "sick",... I wish somebody would just come out and say "at first it looked like shit", then I'd actually start listening to what the person says. When it's all "fabulous", there's no way to discern what was actually good and what wasn't.
It wouldn't really make a difference unless they showed you the early work too.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Bobby Null said:

2. I then go to Jorge Salgado, one of our level designers, and say something along the lines of "Yo, Jorge. I'm gonna come in this weekend and design a big ass gothic castle level. You in?" I'm paraphrasing here, but he replied something like "F%^$ yeah!".

3. So we came in on a Saturday and I explained how I wanted the level flow to work (being vague so I don't spoil it). We then started tossing out story ideas for the quest. After an hour or two, we were both happy with the idea and Jorge drew some layout ideas for the exterior on the whiteboard in our office.

4. We bantered a few times, refined a few things here and there and called it a day. I then assigned block out duties to Jorge.

5. Later, he blocked out the exterior and interior areas. The early blockouts were sick, but needed some refinement. I had Jorge make some level flow adjustments and various tweaks to the blockout. Early on it was a little easy to get lost in this place.

6. Once I approved the blockout revisions, the levels went off to level art. Sean Dunny worked the exterior, while Hector Espinoza and April Giron worked the interiors.

7. Once the first pass art was in, Jorge implemented the first pass of the level content, including quest and dialogue.

8. Once we had a playable level, I played through the level multiple times and wrote notes.

9. Next, Rob Neslor (Art Director) and I got together and reviewed the first pass art. We made dozens of notes (which included new props needed) for a second art pass.

10. At this point, Jorge needed to move on to work on Twin Elms. I assigned Olivia Veras, one of our newer area designers, to take the level home. She and I worked closely to refine the quest content, level flow, dialogue, combat pacing, loot, balance, etc. She did a fantastic job finishing the level and making it shine. She worked closely with Eric Fenstermaker and Carrie Patel, the narrative designers on the project, to make sure the narrative of the area blended well with the critical path elements of Gilded Vale.

11.Then, the finishing touches (like the lit stain glass and scripted interaction art) we're put in and polished. John Lewis handled the various visual effects in the area, while Kaz supplied the SI art.

12. Finally, Justin Bell and the audio guys worked their magic on the music and sound fx of the area.

This is obviously an abbreviated rundown of how we make levels, but hopefully it gives you guys a little understanding of how a level can come together. Sometimes there is a ton of planning, writing documents, and waiting months before the work even begins. Raedric's came together quickly. It certainly helps when it is closer to the end of the production cycle and we can more accurately project how long things will take. This is because the developers are used to the workflow and tools their using, we have a library of assets to draw upon and the team is more or less working like a well-oiled machine.
This is funny after reading about Chris Avellone talking about downsizing.

Sensuki

Arcane
Justin Bell on music

To those who commented on music, thanks for the kind words. I'm very happy to hear that you like the music you heard on the panel.

Regarding sliders for command VO frequency, disabling them, etc we might get that in at a later date but I can't promise. As someone pointed out earlier, it's too risky to do right now. But rest assured it's on our list and if we can find time to get that in we'll do it. But with a game this complex, there are "bigger fish to fry" as they say.

Regarding the duration between the end of combat and start of area music... You folks have any specific suggestions? I can tune that pretty easily. Right now I think the combat fade out is about .5 seconds, and the pause is about 3.

Also, the crickets of eternity have been eradicated. Poor little fellas. We used some very strong insecticide on them and wiped out a few generations of the little buggers.

BAdler on Stronghold

Just so you guys are aware, everyone who visits your stronghold actually walks around it. You also get hirelings (and companions) that fill the stronghold.

All of those visitors in the menu where actually inside the main hall. We didn't show it off. I don't think these visitors have extensive conversations though. I know you can interact with them.

One thing I was thinking about showing was the other, sharper way you can get rid of the drunkard.

Sensuki

Arcane
Eric Fenstermaker on the difference between Sand and Aloth

Eric Fenstermaker said:
So you're saying all elves look the same to you, is that it? Like they're all just these effete British wizards to you? Not cool man.

In seriousness, they share a bit of snobbery in common, but are otherwise pretty different, personality-wise. You'll see when you play - I won't spoil it. Also I don't believe Sand had a proper British accent - just some affectation, iirc.

I'm not sure if we've announced who all wrote which companions, so it wouldn't be my place to reveal it. It'll be made public at some point. Chris did not write Aloth - I can probably give you that much.

Sensuki

Arcane
tuluse, here is a higher level encounter video finally. Not the one you wanted because I get less than 20 FPS in that battle - no thankyou.

I am going to re-do this fight several times and record the different strategies you can apply to the encounter just with this party.

Apexeon

Arcane
Hey Sensuki.
Has the POE team released any 3D mesh shots of there maps yet?
I am to lazy to go out on a art patrol.

This is what turns me on, naked art.
I have been studying this gem she is my precious.

kuldaharwireframeooe0k.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom