Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Sensuki

Default PoE 2 Beta combat encounter (No mods whatsoever installed at that moment):

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is footage of the units doing actions (attacking) after I increased the time spent during Recovery after doing stuff; I also increased the amount of time taken for an animtion to complete (thoug only by a tiny bit; it is in the Recovery periods where I increased muc)

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Sure, some will say I slowed actions down too much but thats besides the point: The values I took for the (many many) Recovery entries I took directly from Tyrannys game files.

I slowed down Recovery a bit more, and later (after recording the video) I went and also decreased the walking and running speed animation cycles of all the enemies in the Beta along with my player characters too of course.

For example normal Player Chars have a default animation multiplier for walking of 4, while the Fish Enemies in the beta have a whopping 7. (Almost twice as fast!).

Yes the fish enemies are supposed to be speedy predators but come on now, the combat is already a clusterfck without adding enemies that move twice as fast as your characters and its not part of their tactics (i.e. not a teleport or spell, Obsi just made the Fish monsters marathon runners for wtever reason).

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Also i want to make it clear that this method is muc better than slowing everything down artificially as with the slider or slow mode; instead simply making all actions slower by the same exponential degrees until you can manage a fucking fight without pausing 200 times (not pausing to tactically win, rather pausing to tediously read the mundane battle log which holds no itneresting feedback yet remains importan because afflictions and charms and shit can hit your party in less than 2 frames of animation).

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
You guys are showing videos called "poe chaotic combat" to Sensuki a month before release of the sequel ?
Haven't you watched Gremlins ?

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Honestly that combat speed looks fine, I think the main problem in why it feels so chaotic is how fast people die. I can't believe I say this but just bloat the HP a bit, also make casters deal more damage.

It seems they directly took HP values from PoE1 while not accounting for the fact that damage mitigation was largely reduced across the board, especially for "high dps" weapons that would normally get countered by DR. So result is even though combat speed is slow compared to PoE1, people just get instantly murdered with no counter-play opportunities whatsoever.

Last edited:

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Honestly, I'm not feeling all this ship stuff and mechanics. Like... I hope it ties in VERY WELL with the story, because they seem to be spending alot of ressources on it.

Do I wanna play an rpg, or a fantasy ship combat simulator? Eh, what does the game want to be?

I hope it's gonna be fun, but... I would rather just have more traditional stuff in there.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It doesn't seem like a lot of resources were used for the ship thing, though, I'm pretty sure even they realize it's a gimmick. An easily marketable gimmick as it happens. Sawyer seems genuinely excited about it, but that's his problem.

Lacrymas

Arcane
At least they gave good spells, a lot of the Druid spells are useless, so I guess we have more options of garbage now.

Maybe we can buy a Josh puppet from the store because I would buy one pretty cool we could brush his hair or stick pins into him for fun lol :hug:

....right.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
It doesn't seem like a lot of resources were used for the ship thing, though, I'm pretty sure even they realize it's a gimmick. An easily marketable gimmick as it happens. Sawyer seems genuinely excited about it, but that's his problem.

You're literally just keep reposting the same shit over and over and expect different reactions.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Josh's response to the haters: https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...rid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=404#post481592573

RcY2uBX.png

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Yup.

Guise, does anyone else think ships are a gimmick?

Guise, does aneyone else feel worried about ships?

Guise, am I the only one who thinks ships are pointless?

Like fucking clockwork every 2 days over and over and over again.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Yup.

Guise, does anyone else think ships are a gimmick?

Guise, does aneyone else feel worried about ships?

Guise, am I the only one who thinks ships are pointless?

Like fucking clockwork every 2 days over and over and over again.
Yes!
Yes!
No!

They feel like a waisted dev resources. Pirate theme doesn't mesh well with the PoE. I would have preferred a game in the Aedyr Empire. If i wanted ships i can always download sid meier's pirates or any of the other pirate games.

Lacrymas

Arcane
You're literally just keep reposting the same shit over and over and expect different reactions.

I'm not expecting different results, I just like reminding people not to forget that it's a gimmick. And I won't stop doing it until I'm 100% sure it's 100% optional. Which it won't be, judging from Sawyer's post. He conveniently sidesteps the fact that the ships are fundamentally a secondary, or even tertiary, experience in this party-based RPG that is modeled after, and owes its success to, the IE games. Like fantadomat said, if I wanted to fight ship battles, I'd play Pirates!

The ship battles are obviously Sawyer's pet project. He gets super defensive about it, not caring that people won't like it even though he has repeated since the NWN2 days that some people hated the stronghold and didn't want to engage in it, so he made everything like that optional. Why the change of heart now, Josh? Democratic development seems not like your cup of tea anymore?

He also massively overestimates the popular appeal of a turn-based text-heavy combat system. This is grognard territory through and through, and even a very specific subset of grognard. I don't believe for a second that this is a core part of this game or that they've poured a lot of time, effort and resources into it. It's so bare-bones and samey, if you've fought one battle you've fought them all, so where is the result of the time, effort and resources? Populating the world with crewmembers like a xaurip or an ogre?

Last edited:

Mazisky

Magister
Tbh even official previews from magazines are saying they don't like the ship system.

In all previews i red and forums i've seen, there is noone who likes this system.

Best thing they can do at this point is making it optional or allow to combat ships encounter in tactical everytime.

frajaq

Erudite
As long as I can just rush and board every ship battle I'll bear with this bullshit tbh

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
As long as I can just rush and board every ship battle I'll bear with this bullshit tbh
I was thinking exactly this during the stream,if i can just charge them and take the better loot,i am on board. If it is 5 minutes of pointless shoot out,then it will get old fast.

Lacrymas

Arcane
They've said you can skip the text portion, but you'll lose some resources in the process.

We went full circle :lol:

Even though the mainstream is a fickle beast, some aspects of it are tiresomely predictable. Thinking that they'll actually like something more out there is an unwise hope. Such attempts have been made before with little success, I've already told the story of Sergei Prokofiev and his Love for Three Oranges, where he thought the other composers are underestimating the public by churning out banal shit boring operas one after another, so he put that on stage. The result wasn't pretty, let me tell you. The ship combat in PoE2 is hardly on the same masterpiece level, though.

2house2fly

Magister
Sideline the stronghold system and make it optional: Stronghold system feels vestigial and pointless!

Make the stronghold system a major integral feature: I hate the stronghold system and don't want to engage with it!

Don't have a stronghold system: No stronghold? But Baldur Gate had stongholds! Some infinity engine successor this is!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Don't have a stronghold system: No stronghold? But Baldur Gate had stongholds! Some infinity engine successor this is!

Well they could probably get away with this tbh

Casuals and mass audiences(tm) might find the game less interesting, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom