Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Ulfhednar

Savant
On the topic of Multiclassing would something like say Cipher/Chanter work well at all or would it be one of those thats spread a bit too thinly for it to be even remotely effective?

The idea of it interests me but based on whats been said here and on the Obsidian forums, Cipher in PoE 2 is really underwhelming in the beta thus far.

Another multiclass I like the idea of from an rp standpoint is Ranger/Chanter.

Though I suppose outside of the higher difficulties and PoTD I guess you can really do whatever combination you like and not suffer too badly.
Hard to say since they're apparently doing a major overhaul for ciphers in the next beta update.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Everything technically worked in the IE games, too. I'm currently in the middle of a gnome Thief/Cleric run through the entire BG saga and it technically works. It's not as crazy as Mage/everything else, but it's obviously doable and it's cool. It works with a party that is, but I don't see why it wouldn't work even solo. Well, maybe not in SCS, but I'm not particularly sure how a solo playthrough of SCS works in general.

Naesaki

Novice
But anyway, don't fear the potential lack of effectiveness. It's a party-based sawyerist game, you can afford to experiment anything buildwise.

This is very true, I'm probably worrying for nothing in that regard :P

Hard to say since they're apparently doing a major overhaul for ciphers in the next beta update.

Are they now, hmm guess will just have to wait and see on that front. I did really enjoy them in PoE tbh, so if I can get the same enjoyment that'll be grand, and I'll probably carry across my Ixamitl Cipher into Poe2.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
Everything technically worked in the IE games, too. I'm currently in the middle of a gnome Thief/Cleric run through the entire BG saga and it technically works. It's not as crazy as Mage/everything else, but it's obviously doable and it's cool. It works with a party that is, but I don't see why it wouldn't work even solo. Well, maybe not in SCS, but I'm not particularly sure how a solo playthrough of SCS works in general.

Would you suggest me to dual class my 500k xp archer into a cleric ? :smug:

PL 9 Unlock - Citzal's Enchanted Armory || I foresee a must-have for fighter/wizard.

You won't be able to get it if you multiclass though, no?
Ah you might be right indeed. Might be the spell worth building a pure wizard for close combat purposes, citzal style. I loved playing this build in twm2.

Lacrymas

Arcane

That is a really fringe case. Why would you have 17 WIS as an Archer to be eligible for Cleric? Even so, when you get back your Archer skills, you still have a potent Cleric that has access to all Druid spells as well, even if you lose the main benefit of being an Archer. Doable, but fringe.

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane
Josh's response to the haters: https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...rid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=404#post481592573

RcY2uBX.png
A big chunk of our players excited about the ships
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delusion

Ent

Savant
PL 9 Unlock - Citzal's Enchanted Armory || I foresee a must-have for fighter/wizard.

PL 9 Unlock - Whirling Dervish || some love for close combat rangers !

PL 9 Unlock - Sacred Sacrifice
PL 9 Unlock - Divine Immolation || Paladins are fucking maniacs.

PL 9 Unlock - Exploding Palm || A monk life is indeed a lonely life.

PL 9 Unlock - Chopping Wood || To the contrary of the fighter, who fucks like crazy.

Xoti is a priestess of Gaun, so that isn't a mystery. If the spoiler subclass is only for an incidental NPC, why does it unlock stuff every level? It seems playable.

Unless it has to do with respec, or the fact that companions join at level 1.
Or maybe, it's more probably an optional multi-class option as stated before.
I'm pretty sure level 9 stuff is solo class only.

Codex Year of the Donut
just realized there was probably a cut PoE expansion.
The files for WM1 are prefixed with px1, WM2 is prefixed with px2, but the files for the deadfire pack are prefixed with px4.

2house2fly

Magister
just realized there was probably a cut PoE expansion.
The files for WM1 are prefixed with px1, WM2 is prefixed with px2, but the files for the deadfire pack are prefixed with px4.
I had wondered about that. It's easy to imagine they had plans for further DLC that got nixed after White March's sales weren't up to snuff. But there's no reference to any "px3" in any of the game files, I don't imagine any plans they might have had got far enough to be implemented in any form, so why not just call the Deadfire Pack px3?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Just looking at this conversation tree editor made me want to write boring dialogues with unimaginitive puns and forced attempts at being funny. Ooh, Itumaak, can I pet him, ooh!

I'm currently writing a prototype for a web-based CYOA editor/reader with a couple of friends.

Parabalus

Arcane

That is a really fringe case. Why would you have 17 WIS as an Archer to be eligible for Cleric? Even so, when you get back your Archer skills, you still have a potent Cleric that has access to all Druid spells as well, even if you lose the main benefit of being an Archer. Doable, but fringe.

If put points into slings, sure. Slings are great since they have unlimited +5 bullets. The EEs fixed STR to damage for slings so they are quite dangerous with how easy a cleric gets 25 STR, much stronger than your average pure archer.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Those dialogue nodes seem to be the joke/fourth-wall-breaking remarks you you get when you click on characters repeatedly.

Lacrymas

Arcane
If put points into slings, sure. Slings are great since they have unlimited +5 bullets. The EEs fixed STR to damage for slings so they are quite dangerous with how easy a cleric gets 25 STR, much stronger than your average pure archer.

If we are taking the EEs into account, yeah, it's much better. I'd go even further than 500,000 xp, though, I'd wait until you get another 1/2 attack. I googled it and it's at level 13, 1,500,000 xp. Not very easy to get back your Archer levels, but doable even without ToB's 8M xp cap. Not that you can play the EEs without it. It might actually be better than a pure Archer at this point, access to all Cleric and Druid spells, unlimited +5 ammo that stacks with bullets (if this isn't fixed in the EEs), DUHM up to 25 STR and it's starting to become pretty scary. It's not as overpowered as Mage/everything else, but it's not too shabby either. If you could get slings to 5 pips, it would've been the no-brainer Archer build.

It got me excited before I remembered the downside that you have to be good due to the ridiculous Ranger ethos in AD&D....

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Resolve is the most useless stat, lol, only worth pumping beyond 10 in gimmick builds like min CON Barbarian tank.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Resolve is the most useless stat, lol, only worth pumping beyond 10 in gimmick builds like min CON Barbarian tank.
I do like roleplaying a talky rogue,and it is far more useful than the cloaca. Only thing i used her for was to do her quest for xp and throw her in the pool. Another bad character is the shark guy.

Sizzle

Arcane
Agreed, it's more of a "roleplaying" stat - useful primarily if you want to pass most talk checks.

Parabalus

Arcane
I think the only talk check you specifically need resolve is vs the Alpine Dragon, so he doesn't attack immediately and you can reposition. Pmuch all my chars had RES 3 and didn't really miss it, Lore+INT + MIG + reps does the trick.

Sizzle

Arcane
There were others as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom