Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Discussion in 'Obsidian Entertainment' started by One-and-a-half-Ivan, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Kem0sabe Arcane

Kem0sabe
    What did Sawyer say about the original PoE companions? I mean, they were marketed as fully fleshed companions, only for that depth to be skin deep.

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. TT1 Cipher Patron

TT1
    Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I really hope they create a tier "create a sidekick". Easy way to increase sidekick numbers and the money.

Win-win situation.

• No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    To be fair, almost everything in PoE1 was undercooked.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. TT1 Cipher Patron

TT1
    Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Zed Codex Staff Patron

Zed
    Codex USB, 2014
    I think you underestimate the sidekick feature. There's still a unique VA (although not as much spoken dialogue as a regular companion), portrait and quest.
    Also everything player-created in PoE sucked ass. The less the better.

What they could do is add more goodies and new tiers between 200-500 dollars.

^ Top  
  6. TT1 Cipher Patron

TT1

I agree with you. But I think this time they will know better how to work with backers. I hope.

^ Top  
  7. Iznaliu Arbiter

Iznaliu
    Was this something to do with the fact that Obsidian had to create an engine from scratch and ran out of time?; No, it can't be; Obshitian purposely fucked up the game to spite the Codex! I know that's true since I looked into MCA's eyes and saw an image of a cackling Josh Sawyer.

Obsidian likely doesn't want to bother with working with backers.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Maculo Prophet

Maculo
    Alright, if this comes to pass, we have to make Darth Roxxor or Sensuki into a side-kick. Their side-quest will be to hunt down Prime Junta.

• Funny x 3
    • Agree x 1
    • incline x 1
    • decline x 1
    • Deus Vult x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. TT1 Cipher Patron

TT1
    People are creating NPCs, pirates, pets, etc. From this point, create a sidekick is not much different. I think its easy money to obsidian.

^ Top  
  10. TT1 Cipher Patron

TT1
    Oh, this is me, actually. You can blame me next year.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    They didn't create a new engine lol, they used Unity. Everything is undercooked because it was too much and nothing was given enough time.

• meh meh x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Iznaliu Arbiter

Iznaliu
    I meant they had to create everything from scratch as a game like this hadn't been made in 10 years, but who demanded all this crap? Clue: fans who wanted BG1, BG2, IWD, and PS:T all in one package.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    Not really, they themselves came up with those ridiculous stretch goals and promises. "Fans" didn't force them to do anything. Obsidian said that they wanted to make a mix of BG, IWD and PS:T.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. BlackGoat Savant

BlackGoat
    I like the idea of sidekicks, don't like the idea of flagging them differently than NPCs with arcs. Kills mystery. Wondering if every joinable NPC is deeper than they seem would add to the game. Knowing right away "Oh this guy is special and this guy is basic" takes away from the game.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. Azarkon Arcane

Azarkon
    It's better that they know, because you don't want to go through a game thinking that one of these characters is a full companion, when they aren't. It'd lead to players complaining about not getting the experience the developers said they would.

But how are you going to make this obvious? Help text that comes up the instant a party member joins, telling you whether this companion is fully developed or not? That would be terrible, but the other direction leads to confusion.

^ Top  
  16. ushas Savant

ushas
    Btw. what do you say to new scripted interactions? That's one thing I'm looking forward to, and really liked what they said in the second Q&A. I believe we got the first glimpse in this update's (#14) video.

[​IMG]
    Nice. However, for some reason those black & white frames feel too forced to me. Perhaps would be better if pictures of party members could hold the stronger impression that they belong to the book.

More in book feel (though it's just botched mock up, i'm not an artist):
    [​IMG]

Or at least in King of Dragon Pass, mentioned by Merlkir some pages back, the portrait incorporation felt less intrusive to me (they use white to highlight):
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. oldmanpaco Master of Siestas

oldmanpaco
    So who in BG2 would be a sidekick?

^ Top  
  18. Rivmusique Arcane Patron

Rivmusique
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Minsc

• :M :M x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. 2house2fly Erudite

2house2fly
    It's probably a bit late in the campaign but that'd be cool. Who's your cool OC, race/class/background/dispositions, leave the dialogue to us, a bunch of fun characters to haul around.

Yeah, if they'd advertised it as a spiritual sequel to just IWD or PST then expectations would have been different. I guess they wanted as much attention as they could get, but you make the bed you lie in it.

^ Top  
  20. oldmanpaco Master of Siestas

oldmanpaco
    Yeah besides him?

Yoshimo, Mazzy, Jan, and Korgan were not involved in a romance or stronghold. Imoen is a special case of course and you could add Yoshimo in that category as well.

So just those 4 or 5?

edit: Mazzy was part of the Ranger stronghold I suppose.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Quillon Cipher

Quillon
  22. TheSentinel Arcane

TheSentinel
    TL;DR
    BN = Bobby Null
    AB = Adam Brennecke

• Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. Fluent Arcane Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy

Fluent
    Re: Camping Supplies

IMO, Lords of Xulima had the right idea. Food. A resource that always needs to be considered and pondered. It scales in expensiveness throughout the game, and although that's not really "realistic", it balances the game well and makes it an interesting resource management element. It's especially interesting on harder difficulty levels, where money is scarce and one needs to carefully manage it.

By either raising the cost drastically on the camping supplies, scaling the price throughout the game or making them limited in some other way will remedy the issue of them essentially being meaningless. Since people can just return to town to buy them all the time they are not an essential resource to manage just yet.

^ Top  
  24. Morality Games Arcane Patron

Morality Games
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    This is one of the ideas I would dismiss as impossible at a glance but has potential when you consider it longer.

Popular sidekicks could graduate to greater roles in future stories set in this world.

^ Top  
  25. Fluent Arcane Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy

Fluent
    Well, then they just become typical Companions. Not a terrible idea, as long as they add more Sidekicks in the future, but then you are right back at the point they're trying to avoid, which is having to have more insanely deep story characters. The goal, IMO, is more options in party creation and design.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)