Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Discussion in 'Obsidian Entertainment' started by One-and-a-half-Ivan, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Parabalus Arcane

Parabalus
    Parrots:
    That's the opposite of somebody having a shitty stat spread (think Garrick), those guys are hardly "untermenschen", they are the top offerings. It's just the opposite side, nothing wrong with guys being better than your character too.

Yeah, you posted a list of 20 spells, out of which maybe 5 have an OoC use, mostly novelty.

They are fun precisely because they aren't essential like Bg2 arcanery was. Bg2 also had potions which couldn't be mimiced by spells.

The only one who benefits less from levels Bg2<->PoE are casters because they lost quadratic scaling, good riddance to that. Martial classes leveling up is way more meaningful, and caster classes actually have level up choices, unlike in Bg where you only consider where you will dump that useless prof point with your wizard once.

Wizards are still arguably the strongest class in PoE, you really need to get this gimped shit out of your head.

Hopefully not, not looking forward to prebuffing for a minute before important fights.

[​IMG]

Yey! Fun gameplay!

• Brofist x 3
    • Funny x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I don't see why this would change, especially given that they're all per-encounter now.

• decline decline x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. The Game Analists Arcane

The Game Analists
    Parrots:
    There was a guy on Somethingawful a couple weeks ago that was mindlessly gushing about BG1's maps vs PoE's and the way he painted the game every map had 30+ points of interest and were hidden like dark souls secrets. Sad.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    Parrots:
    I'm saying that those aren't the untermenschen and they are the people I take, while Garrick, Khalid, Tiax, Skie, Ajantis etc. etc. are and I wouldn't take them, let alone give them items to compensate for their shittiness.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Fry Arcane

Fry
    Parrots:
    I'm curious why you have a burning desire for casting out of combat.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. TheSentinel Magister

TheSentinel
    Parrots:
    1) Last time I checked, 5 OoC spells is still greater than PoE's 0.
    2) BG2 having potions that can't be mimicked by spells is only a positive and serves to show how shit and boring PoE is in this regard. When every potion has some spell's effect, that spell loses its value because you can just replace it with the potion. If potions have unique effects, like BG had, that's fucking great and only serves to make both potions and spells unique and stand out from one another.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • rolleyes rolleyes x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. TheSentinel Magister

TheSentinel
    Parrots:
    Because if PoE2 is to have a New Vegas style of structure and allow me to go on an independent path, I'd like to be able to kill any NPC in the game, just like in Fallout New Vegas. Obviously, popping someone with a Power Word - Kill should be quicker than swinging at them with a sword. If there are other creative spells, you could do some pretty cool shit. For example, if PoE had time stop and you had a pick pocketing Wizard, you could Time Stop --> pick pocket the target --> kill him and laugh.

Playing around with game systems is always the most fun thing in an RPG. If the game doesn't allow you to do that, it's mediocre at best.

I also enjoy pre-buffing and preparing before I enter an area instead of wasting 10 seconds of battle time buffing everyone while the enemy already has +100 accuracy and deflection beforehand and is steadily raping people as I try to boost them. Thankfully scrolls allowed out of combat buffing. That's how I got past that triple dragon + gay mage fight in the expansion.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Shit Shit x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. Prime Junta Arcane

Prime Junta
    Parrots:
    You can fire off some spells to initiate combat, already in Pillars 1.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Parabalus Arcane

Parabalus
    Parrots:
    PoE has several potions which can't be mimicked with spells. Even the ones that are spells are more useful than Bg ones because the drinkable spells are originally self-cast, compare e.g. usefulness of DAoM pot vs haste pot. You are just full of shit.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Sizzle Arcane

Sizzle
    Parrots:
    Wait, TheSentinel, do you mean spells that can outright kill on a lucky roll, such as BG's Finger of Death spell, or Chromatic Orb?

Because I'm pretty sure Sawyer said there will never be spells like that (don't know if he changed his mind for PoE2, but I doubt it).

The problem I have with IE's spells (apart from some of them clearly being OP) is that they limit the usefulness of certain classes (mainly thieves). Why carry a thief with you, when a Mage is practically necessary, and he can cast Knock (unlock chests/doors), turn invisible, and find traps (or is that a Cleric spell? Oh well, you get what I mean)? The only things they can't mimic is pickpocketing, and that's not really necessary.

I liked some of the spells (like the ones that could reveal an unexplored part of the map, the Wish spell, etc.), but OOC spells were mostly for pre-buffing purposes, which I don't really miss.

• retadred retadred x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Combining percentages, decimal fractions, tents of a second, and seconds, which in turn are a 1/60th of something, is indeed a shitty approach, and there's no way around that fact. A good RPG system should allow for easy mental math, so the player can gauge the effects of his choices. What made it even worse in PoE was the fact they couldn't provide important stats for gear due to tech limitations, and the base recovery times being too short for people to be able to follow what's going on.

No one made you assign your stats this way though. I went through IWD + HoW with a mundane and imperfect party.

If I remember correctly, I asked about this in some stream, and the answer was no.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Prime Junta Arcane

Prime Junta
    Parrots:
    Sure. And you can leave all your stats at 3 in Pillars as well. Or not wear any armour, ever. Or fight with your bare hands. Or gimp yourself in any of a million other ways. So what?

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Parabalus Arcane

Parabalus
    Parrots:
    :despair:

Go report this bug, they're still patching the game.

• retadred retadred x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. TheSentinel Magister

TheSentinel
    Parrots:
    Already did. Sawyer told me to fuck off.

• Funny x 3
    • Balanced x 2
    • incline x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Racist x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    Parrots:
    There is actually a solo PotD capable monk build out there that isn't "allowed" to wear ANY pieces of gear outside of the battles when monsters are immune to your fists.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Iznaliu Arbiter

Iznaliu
    Parrots:
    Why is the PoE1 thread about Deadfire and the Deadfire thread about PoE1?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Lady Error Arcane Literally Hitler

Lady Error
    Parrots:
    All that political correctness created a lot of pent-up rage which he is now free to express on the Codex. A heart-warming tale.

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. Beastro Arcane

Beastro
    Parrots:
    Naw, man, have it be one of Magran's and have her fuck him again.

^ Top  
  19. anduin Arbiter

anduin
    Parrots:
    You can. You will be able to fuze the barrels with spells to destroy some walls. I think casting out of the combat will be for destructible environments only.

Altought I wish this would be true for solving the puzzles. Remember Loom and some oldies.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    So, nothing. You said "IE games might not have had stats, everyone assigns his class' main stats to 18 anyway". I say this isn't a drawback of the IE games, but a decision the player may or may not make.

^ Top  
  21. Sizzle Arcane

Sizzle
    Parrots:
    And why should a player make a decision where he'll deliberately gimp himself?

For some self-imposed role-playing challenge?

Fact is, the only thing you get out of it is the satisfaction of knowing that you can make a shitty character and still win.

It's like one of those Fallout 1's "Tag Outdoorsman, Traps and Gambling and finish the game. It's fun cause it's harder to do so with a crappy skill selection, but I'm roleplaying an outdoorsman type with a gambling addiction!"

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    Parrots:
    Why not? Who are you to decide how a player should have fun? What if the player wants to roleplay his paladin?
    Maybe that's what you get out of it. You can't apply your experience to everyone.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. Sizzle Arcane

Sizzle
    Parrots:
    Then the player should find a game where that's actually possible.

Speaking just for the IE games - how can you properly RP in a system where half the attributes are useless, a game never checks your stats, there are no skills, etc.?

Yes, you can make it all up in your head as you go along, but that's similar to the infamous Oblivion RP ideas.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. Background Character Learned

Background Character
    Parrots:
    Yeah I already play a loser with below average stats irl why would I want to play as one in a videogame

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    Parrots:
    Is there a "modern" (after 1995) RPG where you can make a shitty character and not win? I don't make shitty characters so I wouldn't know.

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)