Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Released

Thorgeim

Educated
Can't you losers talk about RPGs instead of your retarded politics all the time? You're like a cult. It's so aggravating to scroll through here looking for hardass RPG talk and you incel reprobates can't seem to talk about anything. else. This game apparently has shit tons going on with multiclassing, subclasses, subraces, non-combat skills, open-world travel, C&C, factions, and reactivity, and all I can get out of you cum-stained hentai addicts is a bunch of bullshit about ugly female portraits and gay people.

Just shut the fuck up already. How is the RPG part?

But thats kind of the problem. The RPG part in this game is a LGBT drama with shit main story. And its sad because I genuinelly liked the mechanics and art style. This ruins it though. Oh well...
Also all this came to me only after 3 - 4 hours of playing (writing was shit but i still had hopes) so there is no chance of refund of course. I swear they did that on purpose :D

Max Edge

Can't you losers talk about RPGs instead of your retarded politics all the time? You're like a cult. It's so aggravating to scroll through here looking for hardass RPG talk and you incel reprobates can't seem to talk about anything. else. This game apparently has shit tons going on with multiclassing, subclasses, subraces, non-combat skills, open-world travel, C&C, factions, and reactivity, and all I can get out of you cum-stained hentai addicts is a bunch of bullshit about ugly female portraits and gay people.

Just shut the fuck up already. How is the RPG part?

Hmmmm, "why?" you ask. Maybe because ideology is important part of creation and interpretation? Maybe because we live in very politically times? Maybe because context is important? Maybe because analysis is much more interesting than game? Maybe we just can?

Fortunately talk of "incels" never gets old either +M

I can recommend the main discussion thread though, it's full of meaty, hard-hitting analysis

Ah yes, everybody asking questions about reality is "incel". Better stop asking questions and be proud ignorant.

People who are afraid being called "incels", "racist", "morons" are easy to control.

Brozef

Savant
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
PoE GRIMOIRE is such a complex and deep game, character development is insane and only a few fully understand it.
play it for around 4800hrs and you will still feel like a scrub.
the developers releases new updates all the time (except a manual, those are for pussies anyway).
best game ever.
LONG LIVE THE NEANDERTHAL!
(PS: babies can fly)

why someone would play any other game ever created in the history of mankind Pillars of Eternity instead of Grimoire PoE is beyond me.

Fixed it. You're welcome
:bravo:

Grab the Codex by the pussy
Can't you losers talk about RPGs instead of your retarded politics all the time? You're like a cult. It's so aggravating to scroll through here looking for hardass RPG talk and you incel reprobates can't seem to talk about anything. else. This game apparently has shit tons going on with multiclassing, subclasses, subraces, non-combat skills, open-world travel, C&C, factions, and reactivity, and all I can get out of you cum-stained hentai addicts is a bunch of bullshit about ugly female portraits and gay people. Just shut the fuck up already. How is the RPG part?
You sound so impartial and superior with that speech. Only that’s nothing further from the truth and the truth is this: SJWs are terrible writers and even worse game designers. You can’t deny that this is an Obsidian game that presents a story, with companions and dialogues. If these elements are ruined by activism, it’s part of the blame. The factions are disjointed. This talk about mechanics on the other hand is strange because the game is piss-easy so this and the improvements in itemization are all for nothing. You can just as well larping that you are playing a tactical game. The combat is a mess and the fights end fast with you steamrolling over your enemies.

How is the RPG part?

What are you gay?
Projection is the first resort of leftists.

He isn't wrong though. Dex got really annoying lately with this anti-sjw shit, people getting triggered left and right, foaming at the mouth about some random bs without even playing the game... pot meet kettle and all that. The only outright WTF moment in Deadfire is that fishboy watershaper, when 3 out of 4 lines in your first dialogue are dick related, I finished the game and didn't see anything else that can be considered SJW propaganda and even that fish most likely ended up the way it did due to Feargus directive to 'sex things up'.

Game itself is alright, core mechanics are actually good and well implemented, combat flows way better than the first, so that part of the game I enjoyed quite a lot. New systems however, in truly obsidian fashion (shit first attempts, but solid improvement on their second try, see every other obsidian game for reference) are very barebones (ships, islands and such). Writing is so-so with exception of background and lore which are actually quite decent. Main story line is very short and while premise is interesting by itself it's not very well framed or properly explored, same goes for every other major plot line (factions and the like). Obsidian need good writers to make something great with their 3rd attempt and said writers need time and room to work. Also the game might have been way better if they canned the Eothas plotline completely and focused instead on plundering and political strife. Since in order to explore themes his questline brings you need to dedicate to it a way bigger chunk of the game and completely change the approach to how dialogues are constructed. As it is you have very limited (if not basic) options like do that or don't to that, instead of going at it PST style, when every piece of the puzzle rises more questions than answers.

TL;DR game's worth a try, a solid adventure that's much closer in spirit and feel to IE games, than the first PoE.

Tim the Bore

Scholar
He isn't wrong though. Dex got really annoying lately with this anti-sjw shit, people getting triggered left and right, foaming at the mouth about some random bs without even playing the game... pot meet kettle and all that. The only outright WTF moment in Deadfire is that fishboy watershaper, when 3 out of 4 lines in your first dialogue are dick related, I finished the game and didn't see anything else that can be considered SJW propaganda and even that fish most likely ended up the way it did due to Feargus directive to 'sex things up'.

Game itself is alright, core mechanics are actually good and well implemented, combat flows way better than the first, so that part of the game I enjoyed quite a lot. New systems however, in truly obsidian fashion (shit first attempts, but solid improvement on their second try, see every other obsidian game for reference) are very barebones (ships, islands and such). Writing is so-so with exception of background and lore which are actually quite decent. Main story line is very short and while premise is interesting by itself it's not very well framed or properly explored, same goes for every other major plot line (factions and the like). Obsidian need good writers to make something great with their 3rd attempt and said writers need time and room to work. Also the game might have been way better if they canned the Eothas plotline completely and focused instead on plundering and political strife. Since in order to explore themes his questline brings you need to dedicate to it a way bigger chunk of the game and completely change the approach to how dialogues are constructed. As it is you have very limited (if not basic) options like do that or don't to that, instead of going at it PST style, when every piece of the puzzle rises more questions than answers.

TL;DR game's worth a try, a solid adventure that's much closer in spirit and feel to IE games, than the first PoE.

Thanks man. Can't brofist, so there you go: :brodex:

i.Razor

Scholar
Patron

Maybe that's because usually sjw loads somehow go hand-to-hand with tinker-bell level writing?

Grab the Codex by the pussy
He isn't wrong though. Dex got really annoying lately with this anti-sjw shit, people getting triggered left and right, foaming at the mouth about some random bs without even playing the game... pot meet kettle and all that.
8fe.jpeg

vazha

Arcane
A PoE2 character doesn't simply say "I don't know"; he rants for 3 paragraphs and then it ends stating that "Based on the Special Council's investigation at the moment we cannot assert if we know shit about what you asked but thank you for asking and reading this. Fuck you sucker. HeHe".

:negative:
So just like members of the European Parliament and their office staff then. Well, thankee very much, I wont be playing this as I get enough of this shit in real life as it is.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Finished my first playthrough a couple of days ago. Overall it's a lot better than the first Pillars, but if you haven't bought it yet, I'd wait for more patches.
Writing has a lot less loredumping compared to the first game and the main plot is shorter, but more reactive. The game has a lot more of those little CYOA sequences compared to PoE which I can appreciate. Voice acting and direction is pretty good, though I personally can't stand Italian accents, which you'll be hearing a lot since that's how the Vailians talk.
Companions are pretty hit and miss. On one hand the way they are written is improved since they feel less like wikipedia articles of their respective background organizations and more like persons, but on the other hand the romancing shite has made them more obnoxious. Xoti in particular feels otherwise like a good character, but her having a crush on everything that moves makes me wish that there was an option to turn off that interaction. As a more minor complaint all the companions essentially favor the MC to be peaceful and benevolent, which feels a tad restricting if you want to play a Bleak Walker paladin or other kind of asshole.
I don't think the game feels particularly SJW-ish aside from the companion interactions, Tyranny felt like a worse offender with essentially every female officer acting like a tough asshole as if to make a point that women can be tough assholes too. I never noticed the shopkeeper being a tranny thing in my playthrough and the encounter with Aloth's old friend doesn't imply he is a homo himself, just that it's awkward to encounter your old mate working in a whorehouse. In the pirate thing you can choose to ally either with the old man pirate and the young woman.
By far the biggest problem in the game currently is that it's just way too easy. I don't consider myself particularly good with systems, since I felt I had enough challenge in PoE on normal, but I had maybe 3 actually challenging encounters in this game on hard. Moreso than bugfixing, I'd wait for Sawyer to tune up the encounters.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom