Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pillars of Eternity II Fig Update #58: Forgotten Sanctum DLC coming December 13th, Patch 4.0 Preview

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire; Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire - The Forgotten Sanctum

Not to be outdone by Owlcat, Obsidian chose today to do a DLC reveal of their own. Today's Fig update gives us our first look at The Forgotten Sanctum, the game's third and final expansion DLC. It's a high-level adventure where the player will travel into the depths of a dungeon formed out of the flesh of a sleeping god at the behest of the archmages of Eora. The expansion is due out on December 13th. Here are a few screenshots:

The more interesting part of the update however is the preview of Patch 4.0, which will be released alongside the new DLC. It turns out that what I thought was going to be a Patch 4.1 is just part of one very big patch. The highlight is the Woedica god challenge mode, which will disable health regeneration and turn all per-encounter abilities into per-rest abilities (AKA "Vancian spellcasting"), effectively restoring IE/PoE1-style strategic resource management. Josh Sawyer provides!

Patch 4.0 Preview

Alongside the release of "The Forgotten Sanctum", the Deadfire team is releasing a new update with patch 4.0. As the team has done with every major update, they're happy to bring new features to Pillars II. Some of the new features that will be arriving with patch 4.0:
  • One additional sub-class per class - That's right! Every class in Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire will be getting one extra sub-class, including the oft-requested Priest of Woedica and Steel Garrote sub-classes!
  • Respawning ships on the world map - The ships of the Deadfire will no longer be gone forever once defeated. They'll now respawn, giving you the ability to attack, loot, and take down again.
  • New Magran's Fire Challenges:
    • Ondra's Challenge
      • Storms are larger, faster, and more frequent in the Deadfire now.
      • Enemy Captains are increased in rank and travel faster when chasing the Watcher
    • Wael's Challenge
      • All numbers become ??? with the exception being item count, party character Attributes, Skill, and Level.
    • Woedica's Challenge
      • All Per-Encounter and Class resources become Per Rest.
      • Party Health no longer regenerates outside of combat.
      • While camping, only "Prepared Meals" will recover Injuries and Resources.
  • Two new Mega Bosses
    • The Wizard Savant
    • The Infernal Construct
Unlike the first two DLCs, Obsidian didn't release a teaser trailer for The Forgotten Sanctum's reveal. It does have a Steam page, though. As for the patch, we'll probably learn more about it when the beta comes out in a week or two.

Dorateen

Arcane
I already explored a dungeon formed out of the flesh of a sleeping god, Moander, from Pools of Darkness. Did Microsoft-owned Obsidian acknowledge or give credit for the concept first designed by SSI? If so, bravo. If not, what a bunch of rip-off artists.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I already explored a dungeon formed out of the flesh of a sleeping god, Moander, from Pools of Darkness. Did Microsoft-owned Obsidian acknowledge or give credit for the concept first designed by SSI? If so, bravo. If not, what a bunch of rip-off artists.
This wholly novel fantasy setting suddenly seems AD&D derivative...

Their mistake was in not saying that it was formed out to the "flæč of a śļëping god."

Dorateen

Arcane
This wholly novel fantasy setting suddenly seems AD&D derivative...

Not a bad thing. Cragholdt Bluffs was a high point because it was an adventure that could have come straight out of AD&D. I'm just asking for a little nod to earlier developers who flexed their creativity, as in an entire overland map and dungeons built out of Moander's dormant corpse.

Standing on the shoulders of giants.

Delterius

Arcane
you mean how pinocchio entered a whale that one time

I may just start playing PoE II now then (I got a free copy). I was waiting for the announcement of this DLC before deciding to play or not. I will finally have some time to get in some good gaming with this holiday week. Still not sure if Deadfire deserves my backlog priority. Choices.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
    • Woedica's Challenge
I don't really see how that can work out if the entire game was created without such a thing in mind. Would seem rather extreme in some places, at least on harder difficulties.
On the other hand, rest is rather unlimited even with prepared meals, so... *shrug*

ArchAngel

Arcane
    • Woedica's Challenge
I don't really see how that can work out if the entire game was created without such a thing in mind. Would seem rather extreme in some places, at least on harder difficulties.
On the other hand, rest is rather unlimited even with prepared meals, so... *shrug*
I just wanted to comment on this. With this Challenge the game might at least resemble a bit its superior cousin - D&D.

If I ever play Deadfire, this option is what I will be using 100%.

Cross

Arcane
Woedica's Challenge
wewantthepathfinderkingmakeraudience.txt

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Yes and no. Assuming you're on PoTD and have an optimized party, the game will stay difficult until around levels 11-14 with scaling.

The exception is the second DLC, which I found tougher than White March at max level. Supposedly this final DLC will be even harder.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
I forgot to mention the mega-bosses. They require almost perfect optimization and tactics in order to beat, and very few players have managed to do so.

Beleranga is the only boss in the entire series that made me give up, and I beat the Adra Dragon and Llengrath on PoTD after only several tries.

Last edited:

Elex

Arbiter
but is deadfire better or worse than poe?

Some people don't recognize the best IE-style game in over a decade even if it stares them in the face.
pathfinder.
POE is the “4th edition” of the crpg.

game designers:“now game is balanced! combat is tactical, all class have stuff to do!! figher is no more “attack spam”! class have roles now, you have tank controllers,damage dealers. No more vancian magic sistem!!!!”

players:”this game that copy paste 95%(even the broken stuff) of the older system feel a lot better”

Last edited:

Shilandra

Learned
I wouldn't mind a true post game, epic level expansion because that's when you start faffong about with gods and completely separate planes of existence which is where these kind of settings are kinda at their best, at least to me. Though that's kinda diminished for deadfire since you engage with the gods so much during the regular campaign. Also, there is no real barrier to entry for these kind of post game campaigns because you can just let the person make a new character and allow them to level up to the proper campaign level. That's how it used to be done for these things so I don't see why it can't be done again.

This dlc comes close, at least in concept so I hope its at the least interesting. An aside though, it talks about archmages. Do we ever get to meet minoletta in this game? Even briefly? She's one of the few characters I've always wanted to meet.

Prime Junta

The highlight is the Woedica god challenge mode, which will disable health regeneration and turn all per-encounter abilities into per-rest abilities (AKA "Vancian spellcasting"), effectively restoring IE/PoE1-style strategic resource management. Josh Sawyer provides!

:salute:

thinking the game could actually be fun with this challenge and Hard or perhaps even Normal difficulty, with some self-discipline about resting... you can enable these challenges outside PotD now can't you?

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I forgot to mention the mega-bosses. They require almost perfect optimization and tactics in order to beat, and very few players have managed to do so.

Beleranga is the only boss in the entire series that made me give up, and I beat the Adra Dragon and Llengrath on PoTD after only several tries.

Why not beat them on the first try?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom