Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Pillars of Eternity II Fig Update #61: Patch 5.0

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, May 9, 2019.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Tags: Josh Sawyer; Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire

It took Obsidian a lot longer than expected to finalize the turn-based mode for Pillars of Eternity II. Turns out that's not the only thing they were working on. Today is the one year anniversary of the game's release, an appropriate date for its last major update. In addition to the finalized turn-based mode and new ship combat UI, Patch 5.0 includes substantial content changes - namely, additional dialogue with Eothas and Woedica written to address criticisms of the game's storyline, and a relocation of certain quest items to make the Anarchist path longer and more challenging. But for Josh Sawyer the highlight of Patch 5.0 is The Ultimate Challenge, a 12th god challenge mode that enables all eleven existing god challenges plus Trial of Iron, Path of the Damned, Expert Mode, upwards level scaling, and you have to play solo. The first twelve players who manage to complete the game (including all major enemies and boss battles) under these restrictions will have their names immortalized on a plaque in Obsidian's lobby. You can learn more about all of this in the new Fig update and its accompanying video:

Patch 5.0 Highlights

There are a host of bug fixes in the 5.0 update that you can read on our forums, but here are some of the highlights for you:
    • New Ship UI
      • An update to the UI has been implemented that will come up any time you engage with a ship on the seas that brings a more elegant way to perform ship-to-ship encounters.
    • Turn-Based Mode Out of Beta
      • Thanks to feedback from the community, we have made a lot of changes to turn-based mode to account for bugs and balance fixes and it is now in full release with the 5.0 patch.
    • New Story Content Added
      • After listening to feedback on the critical path of the game when it came to reactivity with Woedica and Eothas, so we’ve decided to go in and write new lines and get them recorded by the original actors to add more to that aspect of the game.
    • Anarchist Path Adjustments
      • Some critical path items have been moved out of Neketaka to other locations in the Deadfire to address the difficulty and length that the game had if choosing to not side with a faction at Ondra’s Mortar.
    • The Ultimate
      • The final God Challenge will be live with the 5.0 patch. This challenge, “The Ultimate” will turn on all other God Challenges, Trial of Iron, Path of the Damned, and Solo mode.
    So I guess this is the end of Pillars of Eternity II, although it wouldn't surprise me if there are a few more minor updates leading up to the console release later this year. What next for Josh Sawyer and everybody else at Obsidian who isn't working on The Outer Worlds? It might be some time before we find out.

• Brofist x 7
    • incline x 5
    • Participation Award x 3
    • Informative x 2
    • Friendly x 2
    • Balanced x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • meh x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. saeci Educated

saeci
    Thanks for another uninteresting piece.

• Edgy x 7
    • Thanks! x 3
    • Participation Award x 2
    • Funny x 2
    • retadred x 2
    • Shit x 1
    • what? x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Tavernking Don't believe his lies Shitposter

Tavernking
    Imagine being a potential investor walking into Obsidian's Lobby and you see a plaque with the names:

DJ_BUSTANUT
    CuntRobber69
    OprahDid911
    Weedlord Bonerhitler
    Adolf Tittler
    Poopfeast420
    boner4urMom
    Works At Gay Bar
    INoScopedJFK
    shesaidshe19
    Dildo Gaggins
    Urethra Franklin

• Funny x 27
    • incline x 3
    • Brofist x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • nice x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. aratuk Arbiter

aratuk
    Probs no more potential investors since they sold the company, but point taken.

:takemymoney:

So all the expansions are out, and TB mode is done? I guess I'll give it a shot, now.

• Brofist Brofist x 9
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • meh meh x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker

• Balanced x 7
    • Funny x 6
    • decline x 4
    • incline x 2
    • Friendly x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Rage x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    • cuck x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. flushfire Augur

flushfire
    Say what you will about PoE2 (much of the game felt banal to me too) but adding TB and actually recording new content for the MQ after release, aside from all the other additional features, that's dedication I can respect.

• Agree x 31
    • Brofist x 10
    • Balanced x 2
    • incline x 1
    • Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Zakhad Savant

Zakhad
    Sawyer, approving a final release:
    [​IMG]

• Balanced x 23
    • Funny x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. HoboForEternity In every buttons you press Patron

HoboForEternity
    Pillars of Eternity 2: deadfire is a good game. it has problem but it was good even on release. salute to them keeping this supported for a while

• Brofist x 9
    • Agree x 7
    • Friendly x 3
    • retadred x 3
    • Cheers!! x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Safav Hamon Cipher Village Idiot The Real Fanboy

Safav Hamon
    Oh no, the stat changes are horrible!

[​IMG]

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. gaudaost Arcane

gaudaost
    Nice! I was just replaying it. Turn based mode was actually surpisingly good even in beta.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • incline incline x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. Safav Hamon Cipher Village Idiot The Real Fanboy

Safav Hamon
    Paul Kirsch on the new story content

Fixes to turn based combat

Last edited: May 9, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  12. gaudaost Arcane

gaudaost
    Is there any point with dexterity in turn based mode? Except for initiative, it does not seem to affect much.

^ Top  
  13. KeighnMcDeath Learned

KeighnMcDeath
    So a good stat to "cheat" and test if it does anything? Did the POE world get a tabletop PnP game? It sort of reminds me of 3e or pathfinder in a way. I never jumped on the band-wagon. Damn I sure thought about it though.

^ Top  
  14. hexer Arcane

hexer
    Well, I'll be damned! I know some of us players complained about storytelling but never actually expected it to be fixed!
    A very cool move by the devs! Will play again!

• incline x 3
    • Brofist x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Safav Hamon Cipher Village Idiot The Real Fanboy

Safav Hamon
    Dexterity affects initiative, casting speed, and reflex saves. A lot of players call it a dump stat, but I disagree.

It was just published today. You can download it here (it's 120 pages)

https://eternity.obsidian.net/

They already fixed one of the major criticisms in patch 4.0 by...

letting you kill Eothas

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Dr Schultz Scholar

Dr Schultz
    Any feedback about the final TB mode? Finished the game once, vanilla version. Is it worth another playthrough?

• Yes Yes x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Kruno Savant Shitposter

Kruno
    FUCK YOU!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • butthurt butthurt x 2
    • Rage Rage x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Diggfinger Arbiter

Diggfinger
    looks cool! Would like to play this, but havent started PoE 1 yet. One day...
    Anyway, I expect at least 6 Codex brothers to be induced into the Obsidian Wall of Fame soon...

Impressive how Obsidian is able to continue investing in this game, especially since sales apparently were not that good? (below 500K units?).

^ Top  
  19. Jinn Arcane

Jinn
    If you are feeling the urge, and want to do a playthrough with the DLC anyway, I would say it's definitely worth at least trying on turn-based mode. You could always start a new game, try the first island out with turn-based, then decide if you wanted to go further from there.

I personally really enjoy the TB system, particularly with PotD and Woedica's Challenge enabled, which turns all per-encounter spells and abilities into per-rest and removes health regeneration when out of combat. The TB is a bit rough around the edges, and would have definitely benefited from being action point based rather than movement -> attack/ability/consumable based. But the thing is, it's still fun, and it's still an improvement over the RtwP according to my personal preferences. Encounters, contrary to the predictions of many around here, work well in TB mode despite being initially designed with RtwP in mind. And for me, they've simply been more fun and engaging.

Say what you will about PoE II, but they've worked a lot past its official release to add a lot of nice things that take into consideration player feedback. I had fun with it and liked it at release, but these implementations and improvements really make the game shine now.

• Brofist Brofist x 11
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. KeighnMcDeath Learned

KeighnMcDeath
    Rather glad i waited. I did the same thing with ultima 7 and diablo 2; waited to see if additional content. And woot to pnp!

^ Top  
  21. Feyd Rautha Cipher Patron

Feyd Rautha
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Codex review when?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Maxie Der Einzige Patron

Maxie
    Is it finally the end of pillars newsposts

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 8
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    • :( :( x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. toro Arcane

toro
    We all hope ...

• Up Yours x 1
    • Cheers!! x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • Absolutely Haram x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. holla_cabezas_de_mierda Arcane

holla_cabezas_de_mierda
    is this game good? I really did not enjoy PoE1 mostly because the system they designed. If it had been D&D I would have enjoyed it. Does turn based make it better? Anybody else who did not enjoy the game due to how the rules were designed but now finds it enjoyable? The game looks visually appealing and I enjoyed sawyers icewind dale games..but could not get into PoE1.....opinions?

• decline decline x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Kruno Savant Shitposter

Kruno
    It is literally the best game you will ever play in your entire life!

• Fabulously Optimistic x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)