Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pillars of Eternity II gets full voice acting

Pizzashoes

Scholar
That said, I suspect the people who care about this either have little experience with CRPGs or they have some literacy issues. Trying to read text and listen to a voiceover at the same time is incredibly discordant; if you’re fluent in the language it’s very hard not to read much faster than the voice acting.
Here's an edgy reply which I hope you won't hold against me. The only people who have trouble reading text while listening to dialogue are verbally incompetent, drooling tards. I am replaying Pillars right now, and the subtext flourishes add to the dialogue. They do not detract.

This is a half-argument against full VO, too. The mainstream crowd they are trying to attract here will be unable to read the cool, in-between text while maintaining understanding of the voiced dialogue. I hope to God there isn't some memetic backlash from the masses who feel tricked that their idols, Critical Role, convinced them to buy a hardcore, attention-requiring, thoughtful game.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ooof... why? Is there really a single person in their audience who cannot read multiple times faster than a person can speak?

I'm assuming I'll be able to mute all voices, but... man. What a complete and total fucking waste of resources.
They should implement a Karaoke style voice over text control.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I wonder how much the narrator VO guy charged to price him out of the picture.

vazha

Arcane
tumblr_nmjz1snl9V1qh6zmco1_400.gif
What on earth are these? and what game?

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I have voiced narration. Wanted it to be full but it was taking too long so we just do intro nodes. Some dialogue is voiced if its in the intros.

It’s weird, I often skip VO but I miss it now when it’s not there. Here the VO is largely for mood setting and teaching pronunciations.

Grab the Codex by the pussy
I have voiced narration. Wanted it to be full but it was taking too long so we just do intro nodes. Some dialogue is voiced if its in the intros.

It’s weird, I often skip VO but I miss it now when it’s not there. Here the VO is largely for mood setting and teaching pronunciations.
:takemyjewgold:

Falksi

Arcane
Jesus fucking Christ, will they never learn?

We all know half the magic is found in the "imagination gap" where reading the dialogue evolves into whatever is in the individuals mind.

Hell each adventure is even a bit different that way, as NPCs can take on a different vibe depending on the player each time they play.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I think PST without the limited VO would’ve been a much less compelling story. Maybe my imagination isn’t up to snuff.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
It's enough if the NPC introduces himself with voice. After that you can read the rest with his voice in your head without dealing with all the problems caused by full VO, like having to constantly cut it off mid-sentence when you're done reading.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's enough if the NPC introduces himself with voice. After that you can read the rest with his voice in your head without dealing with all the problems caused by full VO, like having to constantly cut it off mid-sentence when you're done reading.
It seems unfeasible to set up a recording session to do a single line per person though. :M

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Ironically japs don't really care about full VO in their games. DQ games don't even get japanese VO on initial release, the VO is added only for the western release (in English). And DQ is the biggest selling RPG in Japan.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
It seems unfeasible to set up a recording session to do a single line per person though. :M

There's more things to record than just dialogue though. Combat barks, party banter and companion interactions, chapter introductions, CYOA sequences, those are all fine with VO and have plenty of lines. Just dialogue VO should be limited.

I mean, it's not like I'm being a hipstery codexer here who wants everything to work like it's 1985. Gaming is audiovisual medium first and in principle more VO is always better. Nobody has a problem with voiceovers in 3D games and those 3D games that can afford real-life actors and mocap can make dialogue 100x more compelling. I can't even imagine giving up the voiceover in something like Witcher or Kingcomrade.

But in games that are text heavy full dialogue voiceovers have always had presentation issues with dialogue trees and descriptive text and those have never really been solved.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I think you sometimes want key lines voiced beyond the introduction. Think of Ravel for instance.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I think you sometimes want key lines voiced beyond the introduction. Think of Ravel for instance.

Well yeah, I'm not preaching some sacred rule here that cannot be broken without sky falling on our heads. You can definitely make a case for boss encounters being fully voiced (dragons, archmages, main villain and such) or some critical parts of main quests or other exceptions. I'm quite all right with all that.

But in principle, the generic NPC #153 who will send you to collect rat pelts only needs a voiced introduction.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
"Updated my journal."

- would have been a lot less compelling without voice acting. But giving the townsperson #761 a voice? No thank you.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

PST would lose something with full VO. Ravel and TTO would have a lot less impact if every other NPC had been voiced; doing just the companions and a few key characters seems ideal for this kind of game. Yes, hearing Ravel for the first time is really eerie, really powerful. I think it would have much less impact if you’d just spent the first half of the game listening to voiced dialogue from every single NPC in the hive.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Didn’t MOTB have full voice? I don’t remember thinking that that hurt the impact with Myrkul.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom