Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Pillars of Eternity II gets full voice acting

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Apr 14, 2018.

1. holla_cabezas_de_mierda Arcane

holla_cabezas_de_mierda
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Probably mentioned already by people, but to me this seems like a waste of time and money. I can't believe given what I have witnessed when watching millennials playing games that most people even listen to more than a second or two of dialogue before pushing whatever button is necessary to skip the rest of the dialogue. The demand for this feature in games often feels just like something morons can bitch and moan about and feel good about when it is implemented simply because they get some sort of strange satisfaction when comparing and sharing features of games they like with their 'friends'...

BTW: before I listened to the video posted by the OP, I thought the 'dude' was just an ugly lesbian chick.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Crescent Hawk Savant

Crescent Hawk
    Parrots:
    Full VA does not bother me at all. What really gets me is the fact that I look at the Icewind Dale dreamy classic fantasy intro and ask why we cant do this anymore and just do sjw infested, soulless shit.

[​IMG]

• Agree x 2
    • Despair x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    • meh x 1
    • [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. holla_cabezas_de_mierda Arcane

holla_cabezas_de_mierda
    Parrots:
    I know icewind dale is pretty popular, but I still think it is underrated. Imo it is the best of the Infinity engine games. Its art and style are truly beautiful

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Parrots:
    It is too linear and battle focused.

^ Top  
  5. Maxie Magister

Maxie
    Parrots:
    You're talking as if these were negatives
    It's infinitely less of a bother to write a good narrative if it's linear as you don't have to prepare half-assed 'alternate routes' for your design (because we're playing someone's design, not larping aloud)
    Being battle focused is incline as well as it showcases the actual gameplay part of the product and is the source of gaming challenge

Being rewarded with well written linear narrative for beating tough fights is objectively the optimal model for cRPG design

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Parrots:
    I am not saying that is a negative,just pointing out why. Lack of sidequest and exploration could be viewed as negative. Also too much battle without anything in between could become boring,same is with the writing,too much of it and nothing else becomes boring,just look at numanuma. The best way is mix of both,changes in the things that you do,makes you refocus your concentration.

^ Top  
  7. Maxie Magister

Maxie
    Parrots:
    I sincerely believe that it's best to have two sub-genres - combat-driven games and dungeon delvers, which could be lighter on combat but much more into exploration and wider skillset
    Them having story is a secondary property, but if it were to be present, being linear ensures a more or less continuous experience

^ Top  
  8. Morality Games Arcane Patron

Morality Games
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Continuous experiences aren't the only good experiences or the only good stories.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. holla_cabezas_de_mierda Arcane

holla_cabezas_de_mierda
    Parrots:
    I never found the choices in baldurs gate games to be that interesting. Honestly icewind dale with a more straightforward narrative path offered more interesting choices to me simply via the open party structure (creating full party) and leveling up and equipment choices. But I am not calling baldurs gate bad by any means, its just my own personal preference that I like the type of game Icewind Dale was over Baldurs gate.

That does not mean however that if a game came along and improved on the baldurs gate style of game by increasing the tension and consequences of choice that I could not be convinced to find it superior. I only mean that based on BG vs. IWD as they were created I liked IWD a bit more.

^ Top  
  10. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Parrots:
    I didn't mean the options,i was referring to the freedom of exploration that you have in bg games. In BG game you are free to do what ever you want after the beginning,while in IWD you are progressing from level to level in linear fashion. All four games are great for what they are and i honestly wouldn't want to see them changed.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    But in PoE and Deadfire you have all those things at the same time!

^ Top  
  12. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Parrots:
    For deadfire we don't know. As for poe,well it is a decent game,shit writing but still decent.

^ Top  
  13. UnknownBro Savant

UnknownBro
    Parrots:
    "By Hipsters, For Hipsters". Make it your motto Obshitian. Do it now!

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)