Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pillars of Eternity II turn-based mode confirmed, coming January 24th

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
The game version is 4.1 on the beta channel on Steam and GoG, it was released like an hour ago, how is this not the patch? I did also start a new game!

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Turn-based is not included in the 4.1 beta. You have to wait for the official patch in less than 2 hours.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
The wait is over

fevhVfx.jpg

Tigranes

Arcane
1/ Why would anyone think a company does something for them? That's not what a fucking company does.
2/ Why the fuck do I care what their ~feelings~ are when they are doing it?

I could not give two shits about what t-shirts Sawyer wears or how much they earned from the game or any of this retarded shit. Adding an optional TB mode to Deadfire improves the quality of the game. It does not fix the many other flaws, because duh. End of.
This is like praising a shitty food because the restaurant gives you a free pack of salt.

Let's not kid ourselves, everyone on Codex is addicted to salt

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
It is too hot to sleep, and I have a long weekend. I have been playing the game in turn based mode, and it is infinitely better. I bought the expansions to the game just now. I will support Josh and his escapades.

2house2fly

Magister
Even better when fighting a giant boss ooze that splits into small oozes on death which recombine into a full hp major ooze if you do not perma CC or instant kill them. The true pinnacle of game design.
you can stop them reforming by just standing between them

I am sure they did this because they love TB combat and feedback from players, not because:

"Pillars of Eternity 2 will be released on PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch and Xbox One in 2019."

serveimage
if it improves the game what does it matter why they do it?

But.. but.. m-m-m-muh company... yeah they are totally doing this for you
young-man-giving-a-reassuring-smile-wearing-aviator-sunglasses-isolated-BNFKPT.jpg

How it really went down:
there was always going to be a console version. Also I'm not sure they're that hard up for money now that they're owned by Microsoft

I had a quick go with turn-based mode, but...it felt like nothing special. I haven't been able to pin down what made me feel this way yet.

From the preview, I didn't see any action point type system. How is the action economy handled? Without action points, it seems like many of the systems core design principles would need to be abandoned, like interrupts and all of the meticulous balancing around weapon/action speed. These were central to everything.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Every class has one action point, and three types of action. Free actions, Standard Actions, and Cast Actions.

Free Actions don't cost anything
Standard Actions consume an action point and happen instantly
Cast Actions consume an action point and happen based on your action speed (same as initiative)

Your action speed is based on your armor, dexterity, and weapon. A high dexterity character with a stiletto and leather armor will go sooner in the round and cast faster. A low dexterity character with a greatsword and plate armor will go later in the round and take a long time to cast.

Diggfinger

Arcane
Luv me some turn-based...but how is the pacing? Assuming that 5 PC parties and tons of enemies makes the game flow at a languid pace?

Btw. Josh we all know Tim had the idea first :roll:

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Luv me some turn-based...but how is the pacing? Assuming that 5 PC parties and tons of enemies makes the game flow at a languid pace?

It's not all that different. Many of the harder battles actually go faster now because they're not a clusterfuck.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom