Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pillars of Eternity Kickstarter Update #71: The Heavy Hitters: Rogues and Rangers

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
If it's might then maybe the wizard is tasked with moving the rock instead of the barbarian and that breaks my precioussss immershun.
Why? If the wizards might is higher, he is stronger. Best man for the job. Barbarian is still better trained to handle a melee fight (deflection comes from class right? + all the class abilities like aoe swings and berserker charging through hordes) but if a priest, wizard, druid or chanter has a higher might then lifting the rock seems like the task for them.

So mental gymnastics I see.

I will just quote Alex.
So...
one can say that someone is a fast/clever/skillful athlete, and that someone else is a fast/clever/skillful writer,
but one can't say, that someone is a mighty fighter, and someone else is a mighty mage?

The retarded part, in case it isn't clear to everybody by now, is thinking that the same thing that makes for a fast writer also makes for a fast athlete. I mean, thinking the hack that makes a living by writing quantityinstead of quality also is fast because he has to flee from so many creditors is kinda funny. But doesn't really help anyone respect the internal logic of your game.

And Josh isn't going for the humourous silly over the top fantasy vibe. He is aiming for bsb standard fantasy fare but he wants this setting to be taken seriously.

He has already failed in one of his design goals now. :cool:

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
But why is it retarded for the same kind of physical 'might' to increase the harm a person can cause with a sword and a spell? Strong guy swing sword hard, hurt lots! Strong guy throw magic missile hard, hurt lots!

The game could explain this shit however it wants, I'm sure something 'believable' will be conjured with little effort. What really matters is it is potentially adding interesting character building. Because 'pump intelligence or be dead weight' is not so interesting.

Johannes

Arcane
Yeah, I'm sure they'll come up with something 'believable' and totally cool for an explanation, like they did with the arches. Little effort indeed.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Yeah maybe. Or perhaps magic is amplified by travelling along the sweet, shredded (brah) arms of these mighty mages, instead of getting backed up in the flabby, saggy limbs of their lazy colleagues. Maybe the wizard curls his grimoire closer to his eyes, allowing him to better read his spell! I can't say for sure, I've not studied magic in the land of whatever. Or any land.

Athelas

Arcane
Finally an explanation for how Wizards are physically capable of carrying all those heavy tomes with them. Josh Sawyer's talent for worldbuilding is truly unparalleled.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom