Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pillars of Eternity Kickstarter Update #71: The Heavy Hitters: Rogues and Rangers

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Cherished D&D traditions like what? Physically correct pillar destruction?

What I'm saying is that by deconstructing the Infinity Engine games and being kind of a cocky SOB overall, J.E. Sawyer has made his game a target for that kind of nitpicking from the people who resent him for that.

What I am seeing is an incredible amount of nitpicking (even by local standards) directed specifically at Eternity.

That was more true a year ago. These days, people are bitching about inXile just as much. *shrug* Much more about Wasteland 2 than Torment currently, of course.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
That was more true a year ago. These days, people are bitching about inXile just as much. *shrug* Much more about Wasteland 2 than Torment currently, of course.
There's no need to nit-pick Wasteland since there are so many big flaws in it :M

Durante

Learned
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Cherished D&D traditions like what? Physically correct pillar destruction?

What I'm saying is that by deconstructing the Infinity Engine games and being kind of a cocky SOB overall, J.E. Sawyer has made his game a target for that kind of nitpicking from the people who resent him for that.
Oh, so you propose a different reason for the nitpicking - I can't really disagree with that (or with Sawyer being cocky for that matter). I guess it could be a combination of both.

As for Wasteland 2, I feel like there's are better reason for bitching about that at this point, since you can actually get a feeling for how it plays. I'm honestly really curious how the whole thing will turn out (also in terms of reactions here) when it is released.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
If this arch thing was in Planescape Torment 2 with the same explanation for arch decrepitude, nobody would comment and everybody would hail this as an example of exquisite imagination.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I liked this update. In my opinion the class abilities in combat will make using those types of characters a lot more interesting - there's more to think about than just positioning and healing them while setting them on auto-attack. I am not a huge fan of the big mix of cooldown types but it sounds like you will have a lot of diverse options when fighting that aren't just rooted in magic. It definitely draws a bit of inspiration from MMOs but that's not necessarily a bad thing if it makes those classes more interesting.

I also don't mind the sneak attack rules. It means they aren't just a one-shot possibility per-combat that doesn't usually pay off too well, and creates good synergy with other build types that inflict status effects (or other rogue abilities, for that matter).

Monty

Arcane
If this arch thing was in Planescape Torment 2 with the same explanation for arch decrepitude, nobody would comment and everybody would hail this as an example of exquisite imagination.
Because Inxile and Torment are never criticised here, I presume.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Pillar_of_Skulls.JPG

Why doesn't it fall over

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Reposting mah beautiful post in the wrong thread:
what mr. arda could have done is directed the fucking artists to make stone buildings with arches/foundational structural parts/whatever without bricks that is, a single continuous surface. That would be convincing for a structurally sound strong material shaped by 'magic'. If you put in parts with bricks etc that would be even more convincing as later day agglutinations when the magic wasn't available, or just that the people doing that were busy and didn't care about nothing except the superstructure. Fuck you could do funny architecture stuff like 'ruins' where the primordial building is still standing because it's so much stronger, but the wings and added spires whatever are broken and fallen.

I guess the usage of irregular bricks with mortar was mandated by the preconceptions of a contract artist somewhere. Least he could have done was smooth the groups like the still amazing inca masonry without mortar:
IMG_2763.jpg

http://www.davideandrea.com/personal/ideas/inca_stones/index.html worth reading

Last edited:

Dr Schultz

Augur
Probably because I thought Torment would play like Torment

kind of a weird thing to think since everybody and their mother hate how Torment plays

Everybody and their mother minus me, considering that Torment has one the best quest design of the whole genre, a great dialogue system and unbeaten companion interactions, all gameplay elements in my book.

Of course, If you mean "how its combats play", you are right.

Last edited:

Dr Schultz

Augur
I liked this update. In my opinion the class abilities in combat will make using those types of characters a lot more interesting - there's more to think about than just positioning and healing them while setting them on auto-attack. I am not a huge fan of the big mix of cooldown types but it sounds like you will have a lot of diverse options when fighting that aren't just rooted in magic. It definitely draws a bit of inspiration from MMOs but that's not necessarily a bad thing if it makes those classes more interesting.

I also don't mind the sneak attack rules. It means they aren't just a one-shot possibility per-combat that doesn't usually pay off too well, and creates good synergy with other build types that inflict status effects (or other rogue abilities, for that matter).

The "at will/per-encounter/per day system" comes directly from the 4TH ED, which is by far the most decent D&D edition if you are interested in tactical combats (high level gameplay still sucks, but - you know - it's D&D).

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Probably because I thought Torment would play like Torment

kind of a weird thing to think since everybody and their mother hate how Torment plays

Everybody and their mother minus me, considering that Torment has one the best quest design of the whole genre, a great dialogue system and unbeaten companion interactions, all gameplay elements in my book.

Of course, If you mean "how its combats play", you are right.

since we are talking about combat it would make sense that we talk about combat

FeelTheRads

Arcane
The destruction of those ruins was an inside job! Demolitions must have been used! Adra melts at 2000 degrees and dragon fire is only 1500 degrees! Wake up sheeple!!!

But what coupling mechanism did they use?

but this one takes the cake by a fucking mile.

Not everybody can make clever and deep observations like the blunt axes in Oblivion.

So you are arguing about building created with explicitly physics defying techniques to be architecturally unsound?

No. That's is what Grunker (who always misses the point.. ALWAYS) thinks. It's arguing that the explanation is retarded and made up.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
He means the combat mechanics are, to his mind, MMORPGish, I guess.

Can't quite agree but I see where he is coming from: the D&D 4th Ed. angle

Dr Schultz

Augur
He means the combat mechanics are, to his mind, MMORPGish, I guess.

Can't quite agree but I see where he is coming from: the D&D 4th Ed. angle

Which incidentally is the less shitty D&D edition if you're searching for tactical combats.

hiver

Yes.
By itself, its literally several different types of attacks that cause different appropriate status effects or critical injuries - that depend on status effects applied already, before, - mostly from those afflicted by other team members.
Which makes it much more involved then doing the same bloody thing of "stealthing" and going around the enemies to backstab them over and over and over and over and over and over again. Where the rest of combat looks static as two characters literally stand next to one another and swing away. - while the only actual difference are spell effects and buffs or healing options.

It should also make combat reasonably faster, - which it should be since the game is using real time combat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom