Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pillars of Eternity Making Of Documentary, Screenshots, Interviews

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Adam Brennecke; Feargus Urquhart; J.E. Sawyer; Mikey Dowling; Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity

You may have forgotten that Obsidian promised to produce a Making Of documentary for Pillars of Eternity during the game's Kickstarter campaign way back in 2012. Luckily, they haven't, and today, Mikey Dowling, their excitable new community manager, posted a sneak preview of its first part. It's pretty dire stuff, actually, with Feargus Urquhart, Josh Sawyer and Adam Brennecke talking about the bad times Obsidian went through in the year before Kickstarter began, as the camera wanders through the company's empty halls and sad music plays. But then things get better!

Mikey has been posting other things in the game's official forums over the past month. Namely, two screenshot galleries, depicting the fortress of Raedric's Hold and dragons!, respectively, along with bits of lore about each. Check em 'out:

Finally, two interviews with Josh Sawyer showed up on the Web recently. The first interview, at Gamereactor UK, seems to have taken place at PDXCon, and the second, at MMORPG.com, is from PAX East. The former is the longer and more interesting of the two, featuring discussion of the megadungeon, the game's difficulty level design, and its soul-based metaphysics.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Gawd that was depressing. I didn't know Obsidian was in that much trouble (at the time). Thankfully that successful Kickstarter saved them. <3

jdinatale

Cipher
Why do heterosexual men like Feargus Urquhart and Josh E. Sawyer have homosexual accents when they are in fact married / and have a girlfriend? Does everyone in California speak like that?

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Pretty sweet. Looking forward to when it is finished.

Why do heterosexual men like Feargus Urquhart and Josh E. Sawyer have homosexual accents when they are in fact married / and have a girlfriend? Does everyone in California speak like that?

Its a Canadian rising inflection thing that affects the entire Northwest; I think there's something similar in 'genteel' Louisiana, or was. Not specifically gay though, there are guys with 'standard' Midwestern accents (what you hear on national news), or Philadelphia, or whatever that are gay and don't do that "FABULOUS" thing where the inflection rises sharply.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
Uptalk is now increasingly prevalent, and will eventually consume the English speaking world. Feel free to stand outside with a Gays & Hell sign.

Those dragon shots look delicious.

leferd

Augur
The "making of" doc is a sham unless it includes real footage of Avellone being an intoxicated cur when he should be working.

bonescraper

Great, now i know why it sucks so bad. It's a passionless project made to keep Obsidian afloat.

They really wanted to play with the big guys and make AAA+++++++ games, but all they got is this shitty party-based RTwP isometric 2,5D bland as fuck PC exclusive RPG.

Can't wait to see how Serpent in the Staglands shits all over this game.

Achiman

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Screenshots look sexy as hell. Closer this game gets to release the more edgy haters come out of the woodwork. We all know you'll be playing the shit out of it, stop lying to yourselves at least.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Gawd that was depressing. I didn't know Obsidian was in that much trouble (at the time). Thankfully that successful Kickstarter saved them. <3

Just the beginning. Later part was pure joy knowing how it all ends.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Great, now i know why it sucks so bad. It's a passionless project made to keep Obsidian afloat.

They really wanted to play with the big guys and make AAA+++++++ games, but all they got is this shitty party-based RTwP isometric 2,5D bland as fuck PC exclusive RPG.

God you are an idiot. Unless you are a billionaire like Bill Gates, every project you do is there to make profit, to keep the company afloat. If you are lucky, the project you make is the same you like and want to make.

Staglands looks like shit by the way. :M

Last edited:

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth
Uuu, Obsidian suck, they are faggets, they have sucking games from 90' and they still suck. They do only for mohney!
And they make only PC exclusive, fuck these racist anticonsole faggots!

Uuu, you idiot. They must have money from it, they aren't Bill Gates! Staglands looks like shit, you fagget!

This is how most of people read it. Both of you act like faggots now. (Maybe even you are)

Obsidian is well know from making good games with passion, but they had massive cuts back in time. This time they get money, get time and have free hand. Maybe they will fuck it up or maybe they will make a good fucking RPG, time will show us.

And Staglands looks awesome, that level of pixel art it that any of us dream about back in time. Anyone saying it is shit, hang yourself.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane

Actually, many of the classic games were made in the "starving artist" environment, don't see that as a detriment.

Sure, Staglands is looking sweet, it's quite possible it will end up being a better game than PoE or atleast more to the taste of the not-Obsidian fanboy part of Codex.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Screenshots look sexy as hell. Closer this game gets to release the more edgy haters come out of the woodwork. We all know you'll be playing the shit out of it, stop lying to yourselves at least.

People here play the shit out of Skyrim and Dragon Age Inquisition while shitting on those games in pre-release period, during a playthrough and afterwards so this wouldn't be anything new to be honest.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Staglands zags where Pillars zigs i.e. it's groggy as hell. I shan't bother with it of course.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Staglands zags where Pillars zigs i.e. it's groggy as hell. I shan't bother with it of course.

I don't know if Serpent in the Staglands is actually grognardy? It's just another beneficiary of the recent Codex phenomenon wherein people appear to spontaneously decide on the basis of little to no evidence that every RTwP RPG that isn't Pillars of Eternity is going to have "great combat", ignoring years of Codex tradition that every RTwP RPG should be regarded with suspicion at the very least. Staglands, Sword Coast Legends, even Dragon Age: Inquisition, has gotten this.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I don't know if Serpent in the Staglands is actually grognardy? It's just another beneficiary of the recent Codex phenomenon wherein people appear to spontaneously decide on the basis of little to no evidence that every RTwP RPG that isn't Pillars of Eternity is going to have "great combat", ignoring years of Codex tradition that every RTwP RPG should be regarded with suspicion at the very least. Staglands, Sword Coast Legends, even Dragon Age: Inquisition, has gotten this.
You said yourself in a news post that it's pro-prebuffing and pro-de-emphasis-on-pausing, and the Kickstarter pitch went into detail about how randomization is amazing and they're intentionally designing their system so that it'll be extremely random from start to finish. All that's very anti-Pillars.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom