Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Pillars of Eternity Making Of Documentary, Screenshots, Interviews

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by Infinitron, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Zorba the Hutt Arcane Weasel

Zorba the Hutt
    :what:

People claiming that SCL and DAI are going to have "great combat"? Around here? WTF. I don't really see the point in the Staglands v PoE debate on this page but that seems to be taking PoE defense a bit far. I certainly wouldn't call it a "Codex Phenomenon".

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Did I? I don't recall that, but I do post a lot of news. I do remember that they've thrown a lot of buzzwords familiar to the anti-PoE crowd ("hard blocks", "no quest grinding", etc), but I'm not sure if those are anything more than buzzwords. Staglands is a game based largely on Baldur's Gate 1, so it's probably not the ideal place for those looking for the BG2 hard counter experience.

^ Top  
  3. Sensuki Arcane Cuck

Sensuki
    Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    Staglands hits much closer to home regarding RTwP combat pace than PE has. That's about the only statement I recall making. Can't speak for DAI or SCL - will never play DAI and probably wont buy SCL either.

^ Top  
  4. Weirdstuffinspace Erudite

Weirdstuffinspace
    So that's why it's called eternity.

Pillars of temporary funding to stay in business using nostalgia dollars

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. Weirdstuffinspace Erudite

Weirdstuffinspace
    try playing games for a change.

^ Top  
  6. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    Oh, my memory combined two newsposts, one you didn't make. http://www.rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=9576 http://www.rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=9698

I don't understand how this relates to what I'm saying (that sits will be for people who like stacking buffs, hate pausing all the time, and love randomization and poe will be for people who find stacking prebuffs a chore, don't mind frequent pausing, and prefer more normalized rngs).

^ Top  
  7. Achiman Arbiter Patron

Achiman
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    Hey just remember, final fantasy was meant to be the last chance game for what was square back in the day.
    We could be chilling around in 20 years looking forward to pillars 15 or something...

^ Top  
  8. FeelTheRads Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    Except PoE, that is, that's gonna be automatically good.

Aphabetaomega plz dont criticize

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. tuluse Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

tuluse
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I don't see how the game is "pro-de-emphasis-on-pausing".

It's mix of grogginess and Sawyerism though. For example they went ahead and did a shared inventory :smug:

^ Top  
  10. Awakened_Yeti Augur Developer

Awakened_Yeti
    I wonder if they will Kickstart an Arcanum sequel next

^ Top  
  11. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator

Jaesun
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    Activision owns Arcanum. Why would anyone what to make a shitty action game with that setting?

^ Top  
  12. Outlander Custom Tags Are For Fags. Patron

Outlander
    Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
    Sure. However, there's a very big difference between 'hey let's make the game we truly want to make!' vs 'hey, let's jump on the KS bandwagon so we can pay our bills!'

This alone of course isn't a real indicator to know if the game will be good or shit. The only shitty thing here is your reasoning.

^ Top  
  13. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    If you watched the video you would have seen that their case was : let's make a game we truly want to make, and use it to pay our bills. I don't know what is bad about this. People are bitching just for the case of bitching as usual. Pathetic.

Anyway, I watched the documentary again, then I watched their kickstarter pitch video, and now I'm officially in the final hype mode. This game can't come soon enough. And it's only 2 weeks.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. tuluse Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

tuluse
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    ITT: naive codexers finally realize people want to be paid for their services.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  15. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Fix'd.

^ Top  
  16. Zorba the Hutt Arcane Weasel

Zorba the Hutt
    :troll:

^ Top  
  17. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Difference is, I'm bitching to troll, and others look like they are being serious when talking stupid shit like that.

^ Top  
  18. Outlander Custom Tags Are For Fags. Patron

Outlander
    Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
    Not really, why would they wait until going nearly out of business to make the game they truly want to make? I mean, it's pretty clear, what video are you watching?

^ Top  
  19. uaciaut Savant

uaciaut
    I'm sorry if you think the 2 are unrelated.

^ Top  
  20. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Because before the kickstarter era, no publisher would fund this, and they wouldn't have the money to fund it themselves. Coincidentally, their financial problems and the KS golden are happened to be at the same time.

^ Top  
  21. Duraframe300 Arcane

Duraframe300
    Because there was no kickstarter before

^ Top  
  22. Turok Erudite

Turok
    Why? it's true, Staglangs smell like shit.

^ Top  
  23. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    Concessions to enjoyable experiences ftw.

^ Top  
  24. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Pause minimization = groggy? That seems pretty orthogonal to the grognard/joisseur divide

^ Top  
  25. tuluse Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

tuluse
    Well that might have been their intention, but I pause all the time anyways and find positioning to be of great importance.

It is all slower paced than PoE though. So if you were a Sensuki like master player you probably wouldn't need to pause as much.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)