Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pillars of Eternity Making Of Documentary, Screenshots, Interviews

Weasel
It's just another beneficiary of the recent Codex phenomenon wherein people appear to spontaneously decide on the basis of little to no evidence that every RTwP RPG that isn't Pillars of Eternity is going to have "great combat", ignoring years of Codex tradition that every RTwP RPG should be regarded with suspicion at the very least. Staglands, Sword Coast Legends, even Dragon Age: Inquisition, has gotten this.

:what:

People claiming that SCL and DAI are going to have "great combat"? Around here? WTF. I don't really see the point in the Staglands v PoE debate on this page but that seems to be taking PoE defense a bit far. I certainly wouldn't call it a "Codex Phenomenon".

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You said yourself in a news post that it's pro-prebuffing and pro-de-emphasis-on-pausing

Did I? I don't recall that, but I do post a lot of news. I do remember that they've thrown a lot of buzzwords familiar to the anti-PoE crowd ("hard blocks", "no quest grinding", etc), but I'm not sure if those are anything more than buzzwords. Staglands is a game based largely on Baldur's Gate 1, so it's probably not the ideal place for those looking for the BG2 hard counter experience.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Staglands hits much closer to home regarding RTwP combat pace than PE has. That's about the only statement I recall making. Can't speak for DAI or SCL - will never play DAI and probably wont buy SCL either.

I don't know if Serpent in the Staglands is actually grognardy? It's just another beneficiary of the recent Codex phenomenon wherein people appear to spontaneously decide on the basis of little to no evidence that every RTwP RPG that isn't Pillars of Eternity is going to have "great combat", ignoring years of Codex tradition that every RTwP RPG should be regarded with suspicion at the very least. Staglands, Sword Coast Legends, even Dragon Age: Inquisition, has gotten this.
You said yourself in a news post that it's pro-prebuffing and pro-de-emphasis-on-pausing, and the Kickstarter pitch went into detail about how randomization is amazing and they're intentionally designing their system so that it'll be extremely random from start to finish. All that's very anti-Pillars.

try playing games for a change.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
You said yourself in a news post that it's pro-prebuffing and pro-de-emphasis-on-pausing

Did I? I don't recall that, but I do post a lot of news. I do remember that they've thrown a lot of buzzwords familiar to the anti-PoE crowd ("hard blocks", "no quest grinding", etc), but I'm not sure if those are anything more than buzzwords. Staglands is a game based largely on Baldur's Gate 1, so it's probably not the ideal place for those looking for the BG2 hard counter experience.
Oh, my memory combined two newsposts, one you didn't make. http://www.rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=9576 http://www.rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=9698

try playing games for a change.

I don't understand how this relates to what I'm saying (that sits will be for people who like stacking buffs, hate pausing all the time, and love randomization and poe will be for people who find stacking prebuffs a chore, don't mind frequent pausing, and prefer more normalized rngs).

Achiman

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
So that's why it's called eternity.

Pillars of temporary funding to stay in business using nostalgia dollars

Hey just remember, final fantasy was meant to be the last chance game for what was square back in the day.
We could be chilling around in 20 years looking forward to pillars 15 or something...

FeelTheRads

Arcane
... every RTwP RPG that isn't Pillars of Eternity is going to have "great combat", ignoring years of Codex tradition that every RTwP RPG should be regarded with suspicion at the very least.

Except PoE, that is, that's gonna be automatically good.

Aphabetaomega plz dont criticize

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I don't know if Serpent in the Staglands is actually grognardy? It's just another beneficiary of the recent Codex phenomenon wherein people appear to spontaneously decide on the basis of little to no evidence that every RTwP RPG that isn't Pillars of Eternity is going to have "great combat", ignoring years of Codex tradition that every RTwP RPG should be regarded with suspicion at the very least. Staglands, Sword Coast Legends, even Dragon Age: Inquisition, has gotten this.
You said yourself in a news post that it's pro-prebuffing and pro-de-emphasis-on-pausing, and the Kickstarter pitch went into detail about how randomization is amazing and they're intentionally designing their system so that it'll be extremely random from start to finish. All that's very anti-Pillars.
I don't see how the game is "pro-de-emphasis-on-pausing".

It's mix of grogginess and Sawyerism though. For example they went ahead and did a shared inventory :smug:

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Great, now i know why it sucks so bad. It's a passionless project made to keep Obsidian afloat.

They really wanted to play with the big guys and make AAA+++++++ games, but all they got is this shitty party-based RTwP isometric 2,5D bland as fuck PC exclusive RPG.

Can't wait to see how Serpent in the Staglands shits all over this game.
God you are an idiot. Unless you are a billionaire like Bill Gates, every project you do is there to make profit, to keep the company afloat. If you are lucky, the project you make is the same you like and want to make.

Staglands looks like shit by the way. :M

Sure. However, there's a very big difference between 'hey let's make the game we truly want to make!' vs 'hey, let's jump on the KS bandwagon so we can pay our bills!'

This alone of course isn't a real indicator to know if the game will be good or shit. The only shitty thing here is your reasoning.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Great, now i know why it sucks so bad. It's a passionless project made to keep Obsidian afloat.

They really wanted to play with the big guys and make AAA+++++++ games, but all they got is this shitty party-based RTwP isometric 2,5D bland as fuck PC exclusive RPG.

Can't wait to see how Serpent in the Staglands shits all over this game.
God you are an idiot. Unless you are a billionaire like Bill Gates, every project you do is there to make profit, to keep the company afloat. If you are lucky, the project you make is the same you like and want to make.

Staglands looks like shit by the way. :M

Sure. However, there's a very big difference between 'hey let's make the game we truly want to make!' vs 'hey, let's jump on the KS bandwagon so we can pay our bills!'

This alone of course isn't a real indicator to know if the game will be good or shit. The only shitty thing here is your reasoning.
If you watched the video you would have seen that their case was : let's make a game we truly want to make, and use it to pay our bills. I don't know what is bad about this. People are bitching just for the case of bitching as usual. Pathetic.

Anyway, I watched the documentary again, then I watched their kickstarter pitch video, and now I'm officially in the final hype mode. This game can't come soon enough. And it's only 2 weeks.

Last edited:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
ITT: naive codexers finally realize people want to be paid for their services.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If you watched the video you would have seen that their case was : let's make a game we truly want to make, and use it to pay our bills.

Not really, why would they wait until going nearly out of business to make the game they truly want to make? I mean, it's pretty clear, what video are you watching?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
If you watched the video you would have seen that their case was : let's make a game we truly want to make, and use it to pay our bills.

Not really, why would they wait until going nearly out of business to make the game they truly want to make? I mean, it's pretty clear, what video are you watching?
Because before the kickstarter era, no publisher would fund this, and they wouldn't have the money to fund it themselves. Coincidentally, their financial problems and the KS golden are happened to be at the same time.

Duraframe300

Arcane

Because there was no kickstarter before

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

This is resulting in a need for more tactics for your party in the way of coordinating pre-buffs, offensive and defensive skills to overcome enemies (they pack a punch), while continuing to minimize the micro-manging required with pausing frequently. As always we’re designing with the strengths of real-time in mind, which we think is pausing infrequently while issuing macro orders to your party, and have their skills working automatically and together.

It's mix of grogginess and Sawyerism though. For example they went ahead and did a shared inventory :smug:

Concessions to enjoyable experiences ftw.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Pause minimization = groggy? That seems pretty orthogonal to the grognard/joisseur divide

tuluse

Arcane

This is resulting in a need for more tactics for your party in the way of coordinating pre-buffs, offensive and defensive skills to overcome enemies (they pack a punch), while continuing to minimize the micro-manging required with pausing frequently. As always we’re designing with the strengths of real-time in mind, which we think is pausing infrequently while issuing macro orders to your party, and have their skills working automatically and together.

Concessions to enjoyable experiences ftw.
Well that might have been their intention, but I pause all the time anyways and find positioning to be of great importance.

It is all slower paced than PoE though. So if you were a Sensuki like master player you probably wouldn't need to pause as much.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom