Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Pillars of Eternity Presentation at PAX South 2015

hiver

If somebody is unhappy, that's not possible to make a wizard effective in combat the same way as a fighter, he may try to imagine in his head fighter's abilities to be spells as well. (soul powers)
err, sure but we are not talking about larping while we are roleplaying in our cRPG.

Derp, that's irrelevant. I said I wanted MIGHTY spells.
Well first, you'd have to define what mighty means.
whats there to define? there is no definition of that word, the meaning depends on use.

what does it have to do with what Johannes said very clearly?

...err...
Is this physical strength which helps me cast spell for great damage? Or is it spiritual strength that lets me swing a weapon hard, and shoot powerfully with a gun? It's very vague and abstract, I'd need LS to intellect it open for me I suppose.

It sure would if you intentionally use it in directly opposite ways then it is naturally used.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
That's the problem. The game doesn't properly define the term. Is this physical strength which helps me cast spell for great damage? Or is it spiritual strength that lets me swing a weapon hard, and shoot powerfully with a gun? It's very vague and abstract, I'd need LS to intellect it open for me I suppose.
No the game is very clear, "might represents physical and spiritual strength". Emphasis mine.

ushas

Savant
Yeah, whatever, sure. Why can't I make a character who's physically weak but magically mighty? Or vice versa.
Because the rules of the PoE world say it's connected...

For an example in our world, would you agree that the physical and mental health influence each other?

In PoE, everybody's soul has some sort of potential, if I'm correct. So people need to learn how to use their's potential (~ different classes). I imagine that can be chanelled through the body, for example. Perhaps, if you want add an extra impact (damage) of your actions you have to actually use your muscles. I don't know, like when you feel really angry?:) something like this:
:x

Ok should stop speculate. I would just try to be open for the new rules. Maybe you will find some other interesting builds coming out of it...

ushas

Savant
err, sure but we are not talking about larping while we are roleplaying in our cRPG.
ok no larping, don't worry, was a stupid advice anyway.
Just want to pinpoint, we are going to roleplay within the rules of the cRPG.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
He was talking about the first Wizardry specifically. His opinion of DW Bradley's games remains unknown. Perhaps somebody could ask him!

Roguey?

Josh considers role playing to be making decisions through your character that affect the outcomes of things in the world. 6-7-8 kept adding more of this, so he'd probably consider them as such.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom