Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
At one point, most of the combat encounters become literal non-issues and you start wanting to get rid of party members even on PotD. I'm fairly certain you can complete everything on PotD with a Wizard, Druid and Priest combo with a little bit of planning and retraining to accommodate the rough start.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
These are common issues in all CRPGs.. High levels are really hard to balance. When you give the player a lot of powerful tools it's not easy to find a way to stop them.
Hell people even complete BG2 solo on the hardest difficulties

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
At one point, most of the combat encounters become literal non-issues and you start wanting to get rid of party members even on PotD. I'm fairly certain you can complete everything on PotD with a Wizard, Druid and Priest combo with a little bit of planning and retraining to accommodate the rough start.

A wizard, a druid and a priest walk into a bar...

Falksi

Arcane
So I kinida enjoyed POE, but only completed around 3/4's of it including the White March (bugs started cropping it more & more & when all my items kept disapearing I thought "fuck it" and couldn't be arsed any more)

Now I'm up for going back to it, but something which has really hit home is how shite the combat is because of the amount if skills which are "per rest". I want my characters to be as active as possible, constantly dishing out commands & using skills/spells/etc. but this puts a real kybosh on it.

First time round I played as ranged Cypher which negated this to some degree, but now I'm looking for a different option and I'm wondering if there's another valid one?

I've tried chanter, but it takes too long to build up your invocations.

Any other viable options?

Ulfhednar

Savant
So I kinida enjoyed POE, but only completed around 3/4's of it including the White March (bugs started cropping it more & more & when all my items kept disapearing I thought "fuck it" and couldn't be arsed any more)

Now I'm up for going back to it, but something which has really hit home is how shite the combat is because of the amount if skills which are "per rest". I want my characters to be as active as possible, constantly dishing out commands & using skills/spells/etc. but this puts a real kybosh on it.

First time round I played as ranged Cypher which negated this to some degree, but now I'm looking for a different option and I'm wondering if there's another valid one?

Rogues require the most babysitting, and have a lot of per encounter ability options that are essential to use at the right time if you want them to be effective. Paladins, monks, rangers, and fighters can all be built for per encounter spamming, but you’ll mostly just hit the same abilities over and over. Druids, priests and wizards get some per encounter spell slots after level 7, but these also get repetitive.

I tend to focus more on passive skills in my play style, but for maximum per encounter flexibility / micromanagement I would include the following in my party - cipher chanter monk rogue and 2 casters of choice a wizard (2 arcane assaults + 4 spell mastery uses) and a priest (indictment and the AoE heal + 4 spell mastery uses).

Last edited:

Butter

Arcane
Patron

Monk.

Falksi

Arcane

Monk.

monk-tv-series-696x409.jpg

Falksi

Arcane

Deadfire. It's a much better game in most respects, and one of the ways in which it's worse is the one you inexplicably like. Practically nothing there is per-rest.

YES! Per rest is fucking dumb. All it does is discourage using things which make combat more fun.

It's such a false mechanic stopping to rest. It adds naff all to the game and rationing spells/abilities just means you've less choice in combat & thus it's more boring.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron

Deadfire. It's a much better game in most respects, and one of the ways in which it's worse is the one you inexplicably like. Practically nothing there is per-rest.

YES! Per rest is fucking dumb. All it does is discourage using things which make combat more fun.

It's such a false mechanic stopping to rest. It adds naff all to the game and rationing spells/abilities just means you've less choice in combat & thus it's more boring.

Per rest is dumb when there are no time limits. But it’s fantastic when you’re on a timer like in Fallout or Kingmaker. Suddenly taking eight hours to reload your spells becomes a real tradeoff. Also makes consumables a lot more useful because they help you go for longer without resting, keeping more time on the clock.

Prime Junta

Sure, if by "choice" you mean the choice to be able to spam your four most powerful spells one after the other in every fight.

Falksi

Arcane

Sure, if by "choice" you mean the choice to be able to spam your four most powerful spells one after the other in every fight.

Yup! :)

That's just what I prefer. I'm an 80's kid who grew up on unlimited ammo & everything pushed to the max. Yes I want tactical depth, but I want to feel powerful every fight. I want to throw powerful spells & abilities round more often than not.

Now obviously that can get just as boring as scrimping by on per-rest if it's not implemented right. But there's no reason why each fight can't include elements to make sure that per encounter abilities have to be used with thought & consideration.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Deadfire's system doesn't really include using abilities with thought and consideration because you have very limited spell selection either way. You are going to go for the most powerful and useful spells every time and you are going to spam them like there's no tomorrow. It's only an issue if the fights begin to drag on for too long.

Unwanted

SlumLord

Unwanted
Edgy
And goddamnit but Pillars does have good lore and a good setting.
In what way is a derivative, euthanized version of D&D 'good'? Not even baiting, I'm genuinely interested what about Pillars' setting appeals to you so much.

Personally, I think the whole souls & gods combo is the most overused plot device in games (right after the amnesiac trope), and I'll be damned if I didn't try to get into it, but just... couldn't.

Prime Junta

In what way is a derivative, euthanized version of D&D 'good'?

It has relatable nations and factions fighting about things for understandable reasons, cultural things that make sense, and a sense of history that’s in motion rather than forever frozen in amber.

It’s much, much better than, say, Forgotten Realms in these respects.

Sykar

Arcane
In what way is a derivative, euthanized version of D&D 'good'?

It has relatable nations and factions fighting about things for understandable reasons, cultural things that make sense, and a sense of history that’s in motion rather than forever frozen in amber.

It’s much, much better than, say, Forgotten Realms in these respects.

FRs main problem is that its writers, and fans, cannot stop wanking to their favorite creations like Drizzt and Elminster. Hell they revived all of Drizzt's dead friends through some major ass-pull.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Sure, but we never get to be a part of that. We always seem to deal with the most boring and unimaginative things in this setting. I don't think the factions are very well done in DF either and don't really clash too often/at all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom