Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

Shadenuat

Arcane
As Haplo said it is just a not very practical weapon (cone-sword). Unless maybe you do switchranger thing and carry 2 2-handed swords.

that was a bug right (hit + hit from cone)
afaik yes.

I also used dual wielding to stack damage buffs on spells and such. Like wizard with volcano ax and spell cheat backer kickstarter saber.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It probably was a bug. But a good one. It's too weak otherwise.

I mean they nerfed Whispers and left the LOL dual Mortars transferring ability effects in aoe.... once for each hand.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
As Haplo said it is just a not very practical weapon (cone-sword). Unless maybe you do switchranger thing and carry 2 2-handed swords.

that was a bug right (hit + hit from cone)
afaik yes.

It's supposedly decent for.... melee assassins. That once per encounter impale ability supposedly does really nice backstab damage.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
As Haplo said it is just a not very practical weapon (cone-sword). Unless maybe you do switchranger thing and carry 2 2-handed swords

On TB if you do switching you need to go Blackjack. It's a hilariously unbalanced class trait on TB which should appeal to the grognard crowd (they get free weapon switching, so you run in with whatever set is most insane damage against the enemy's type, then you switch to a giant shield and a hatchet or dagger (with modal)).

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Other weapons that definitely deserve a mention include Lord Darryn's Voulge and Engoliero de Espirs.
A Voulge made of ligtning that lets you control weather, charges enemies with static and causes shock aoe explosions from static? Or a royal blade, carried by a paladin and guarded by a death knight who has slain him, with an entire ghost ship endlessly searching for it? Summoning ghastly blades in a huge cone on kill. Yes, please.

Guess maybe also Kitchen Stove, Scordeo's Edge, Red Hand - although those are maybe more OP then actually interesting. Plus Thundercrack and several others.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Red Hand would be interesting if it wasn't so indecently OP, but seeing as Shadenuat complains over nerfs I guess we shouldn't encourage sawyer ;)

Shadenuat

Arcane
I have 800 hours in Kingmaker. I don't care what happens with PoE at this point. I just enjoy the discussion.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I can't fathom how you can stomach that much Kingmaker. I absolutely adore building characters but then I get into combat at levels 10+ and I just fall asleep from all the autoattacking. It's even less difficult than high level Deadfire. Maybe I should replay with som gimped loony party

Shadenuat

Arcane
They change and add new encounters with new patches, and rogue dungeon spices things up on Unfair. Was just trying to think how to avoid whole party being doggiefied by 8 prismatic sprays per second.

And then there is TB mod. I didn't even try it yet though. But unlike PoE, PK keeps most of PnP mechanics and rounds so TB does not totally fuck up anything.

Now if only it got SCS treatment... then that + TB would be divine.

I absolutely adore building characters but then I get into combat at levels 10+
What I like about Varnhold DLC is that it is levels 3 to 12 adventure.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Pathfinder with SCS treatment would be fucking amazing, but I sincerely doubt it can be done. SCS is an insane project and its "only" got a complicated spell system to contend with - Pathfinder is so full of assets it would take multiple dedicated AI modders years and years to make sure every encounter utilized their builds and abilities and considered yours.

Varnhold was a massive disappointment for me because all the areas and encounters were so small. It felt like Deadfire but without the "massive open map" excuse. What I like most about Pathfinder is levels 1 - about 8 in the main game. That was just soooo much fun. I also like the Kingdom manager system more than most (it seems most people find i too gimmicky, but I enjoyed juggling it all).

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Though the part about sticking to the P&P rules is completely untrue. The way Pathfinder makes sure the gameplay isn't pants-on-head-retarded like it would be if they stuck to the rules is by buffing defences through the roof, giving enemies completely insane AC and save bonuses.

The fact that even with this PotD+++++++++++++ defense scaling, attacks still melt defences in miliseconds really shows how much the "Initiative is the most important stat in high level 3.5"-joke holds true.

(In case it isn't clear I completely support the devs decision to buff those stats, it does a decent amount of work mitigating the problems in the system even if it's not enough)

Shadenuat

Arcane
I had more concentrated fun downing staglord and fighting giant owlbears than I ever had in PoE doing anything. Was enough for me.

Varnhold last dungeon got closest for me to clearing places like Firkraag's lair. The only bad thing is that it ended.

Though the part about sticking to the P&P rules is completely untrue.
What I mean is rounds are still rounds etc. Many people say that TB in PK, unlike PoE, feels like things falling back into places, abilities becoming more useful due to action economy, and so on.

Of course, new problems arise (like initiative, I wonder how fights against high level fey who just roll 20 on everyone go lol) but that's inevitable.

Is is known that there was a 50/50 split on game being TB or RTwP within developers. Which is why it turned out like that.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I had equal amounts of fun killing Staglord as I had playing PoE WM which is high praise for me. Great, great fight.

Varnhold last dungeon got closest for me to clearing places like Firkraag's lair. The only bad thing is that it ended.

You must be really into teleporters. That's about the only unique thing I recall about that dungeon and it's been done many times before

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Though, I also didn't find Firkraag dungeon to be fantastic. It's good, but there are way better dungeons in BG2 IMO

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
I like my plain broadsword.

I had more concentrated fun downing staglord and fighting giant owlbears than I ever had in PoE doing anything. Was enough for me.

True for me. I do have fun with Pillars combat, especially when I beat encounters way above my level, but never did I have the exact same fun like say the assault on the stag lords hideout. It's like feeling "more at home" for me, because I'm so used to the D20 ruleset.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I had equal amounts of fun killing Staglord as I had playing PoE WM which is high praise for me. Great, great fight.

You must be really into teleporters. That's about the only unique thing I recall about that dungeon and it's been done many times before
I'm into monster ecology being fun instead of muh realism. Dungeon has every monster type out there. I liked mimics and slimes on doors. Liked the creepy fey ambushing you from under the bed. The switch to underground with new creatures, and the tower with 4 elementals.
Liked turning dog with dispel back and getting item out of it. Dungeon splitting into going into tower or going into some ambush. Stuff like that.
Liked how you
lose companions too.

Much better than 2 undead cyclops; turn around corner, 3 more undead cyclops.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
It's an upgrade on the base game for sure, but I gave the main game a pass like I do Deadfire because they focused on the open world first and foremost. Whereas Varnhold was all about that dungeon, and it doesn't really come close to some of the sprawls we've seen in other titles.

At least it's not Od Nua I guess :P

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
It's not creature variety I have problems with with regards to Odnua. It's got lots of cool encounters. It's that in comparison to the dungeons it is competing with - Watcher's and Durlag's - it's not even a contest

JDR13

Arcane
I like this game, but the first part is objectively the best (better level design, encounters at low level are more enjoyable etc).

In fairness, I think that applies to most RPGs. Once you learn the system, and start getting used to the setting, most games lose a bit of luster.

JDR13

Arcane
How much of a first timer are you? If you have played the IE games I would absolutely recommend going for PotD rather than Hard since the difficulty falls of hard and fast in both games after the first few levels.

I've played all the IE games, but it's been years since I really touched any of them. As far as PoE, I've only played through the prologue several times and beginning of Chapter 1 to experience different classes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom