Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
What the hell, the barbarian chick is already dead?

Will I get to make my own party at some point?

Prime Junta

What the hell, the barbarian chick is already dead?

Will I get to make my own party at some point?

You will encounter companions you can recruit soon enough. You can also hire adventurers at taverns; these you can fully spec as you like (but they have no dialogue nor quests).

Prime Junta

This is a dumb question, but I can’t seem to drop items

True, you can’t. You have a bottomless stash. Only way to get rid of something is to use it or sell it.

edit: or move it to a container

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Acc:8-Def:38=-30.Roll:24 - 30=-6(Miss)

So, how do rolls work exactly, instead of d20?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Acc:8-Def:38=-30.Roll:24 - 30=-6(Miss)

So, how do rolls work exactly, instead of d20?

Pretty easy, you roll a d100, add your accuracy. Then subtract enemy deflection (for a standard melee attack, other defenses (fortitude, reflex, will) against other things). Then check the result versus this:

01-15 = Miss
16-50 = Graze
51-100 = Hit
100+ = Critical Hit

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
I’ll get on later, I’m busy atm.

I fought a Kobold named a xautrip, all my party memebers were killed and my spirit or soul or some shit was taken away. I went through this forest and got killed by a bunch of kobolds xautrips and some rando bandit. Then I got to the town where a bunch of people got hung for some reason and hunting season for the gods apparently began, dunno.

Apparently everyone is kind of an asshole so far, lots of text got bored reading. Found an elf guy who told some other dudes to go fuck their sisters and I got into a brawl. That’s where I stopped playing and will pick up later...

-I legit tried for 2 mins trying to figure out how to drop an item, no inventory mechanics.

-my barbarian needed intelligent which feels wrong

- there’s a shitton of percentages on my screen

-soul sucking bwanzia, tried to attack could not hit

-also 400 HP at level 1 is fucking insane

-I still hate RTwP

more later

Ninjerk

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Is dumping a stat okay? (Resolve)

Apparently barbarians need intellect

Yeah, dumping Resolve on a Barb is fine - as long as you know what you're doing.
You will want items that auto-heal you. Mainly the infamous sandals Shod-In-Faith, that trigger a healing aura on receiving a crit.
Would be even better if you were a Moon Godlike and self-caused healing aura when loosing health.

Note that You're healing Endurance not to go down in combat - BUT you're still limited by your Health pool total. Once you exhaust that, things will start to look bad.
And you will amass Endurance/Health damage rapidly, if not careful.

So either stay in the back - Tall Grass pike Shadenaut mentioned is helpful for that, or use lots of CC. Tall Grass also helps with that (makes enemies prone on crit - in aoe with Carnage - hence need for high Int), but things like Firebrand (from Forgemaster's Gloves) or The Hours of St. Rumbalt (also make enemies prone) do more damage. Or duals (but they get solid CC options pretty late in game, while the good two-handers are available early).

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Barbarian/Fighter is where it's at. You get durability, engagement and carnage/damagedealing in one package.

Oh wait you're talking about the original. Playing Barbarian there is a form of masochism.

The Real Fanboy
Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Barbarian/Fighter is where it's at. You get durability, engagement and carnage/damagedealing in one package.

Oh wait you're talking about the original. Playing Barbarian there is a form of masochism.

I liked Barbarians in PoE1 WAY MORE then in Deadfire. They were much more interesting and unique with the huge Carnage range, damage and on-hit/on-crit property aoe transfer.
Proning half of the battlefield sure felt good.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The barbarian was dropping in every combat, huge annoyance, was doing very little damage compared to a rogue. Felt like a dumb class.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well you do need to micro all melee chars apart from tanks.
Which makes them more fun imo, flanking around with the Rogue is cool.
Of course when fighting a bazillion things, it gets a bit more....complicated but you can't have everything

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
The barbarian was dropping in every combat,
I remember having this problem with basically any melee that wasn't a fighter tbh
Same, only exception being my battle wizard run, pimped for the sole purpose of front-lining.
The dude was a killing machine on top of being untouchable at high level.

Wizards are second best tanks only to fighters :balance:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'd say Paladins are the better tanks, especially since mobs tend to ignore engagement and tanks don't hit hard enough for it to be effective either way. Paladins have sky high defenses, especially if the MC is one since they get even more from dispositions. That + Defensive Mindweb and nobody can ever touch anyone from the party.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Barb's shtick is only Carnage and transfering the on-hit/crit properties.

Barb in PoE1 is perfect for fighting big crowds, not good as single target damage dealer like Rogue
That's where the whole pointlessness of the class becomes evident. The moment he gets surrounded to "fight a crowd" he gets KO'd.

The Barbarian is a class which starts with the second lowest deflection (15) and the second lowest accuracy (25). It is expected to prioritize Might, Constitution, Dexterity and Intellect at the same time. There are more gaps here than you can fill with attribute points. It's a seriously underbaked concept of a class IMO. You can hardly benefit from Carnage because it's not durable. The high health pool cannot compensate for the low defense stat in the way it compensates for a fighter.

Edit: Sure, like everything else in this [insert adjective] game, it's not unplayable. You can make it through the game, you can build him in a way that makes you feel some kind of progression. Yet there are simply more optimal, less micro-intensive ways to achieve the same effect. Tank with a fighter - hit with a wizard.

But if you insist to bang your head with a barbarian who "tanks" and deals piss-low damage for a couple of rounds before he most probably falls, because that's how you want to "express your character" as Josh imagines it, then that's you.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
There are 2 cool Barbarian builds on Obs' forums - one which is built around falling in combat constantly (with injuries turned off) and a tank which dumps CON. That's the extent of the interest this class can muster. Again, there are too many classes for this design. Carnage could've been a Fighter class feat.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Barb's shtick is only Carnage and transfering the on-hit/crit properties.

Barb in PoE1 is perfect for fighting big crowds, not good as single target damage dealer like Rogue
That's where the whole pointlessness of the class becomes evident. The moment he gets surrounded to "fight a crowd" he gets KO'd.

The Barbarian is a class which starts with the second lowest deflection (15) and the second lowest accuracy (25). It is expected to prioritize Might, Constitution, Dexterity and Intellect at the same time. There are more gaps here than you can fill with attribute points. It's a seriously underbaked concept of a class IMO. You can hardly benefit from Carnage because it's not durable. The high health pool cannot compensate for the low defense stat in the way it compensates for a fighter.

Edit: Sure, like everything else in this [insert adjective] game, it's not unplayable. You can make it through the game, you can build him in a way that makes you feel some kind of progression. Yet there are simply more optimal, less micro-intensive ways to achieve the same effect. Tank with a fighter - hit with a wizard.

But if you insist to bang your head with a barbarian who "tanks" and deals piss-low damage for a couple of rounds before he most probably falls, because that's how you want to "express your character" as Josh imagines it, then that's you.

There are always more optimal ways to play games. Do you never play without a priest? If so you're missing out

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom