Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pine -- "a simulated world in which humans never reached the top of the food chain."

A little more than "some". Closer to "re-skin".
No, no, not at all. This is very different from BotW. It's a very systems heavy game. It's quite neat in those regards tbh.

Tigranes

Arcane
Interesting, I would have thought it was a systems-light, gameplay-light 'interesting concept' game. So it's meaty enough to be worthwhile?

Interesting, I would have thought it was a systems-light, gameplay-light 'interesting concept' game. So it's meaty enough to be worthwhile?
Interesting, sure. Worthwhile? I dunno. Hard to say.

The game is systems heavy in the sense that its world is greatly simulated. This includes Economy, creature evolution, villages and cities, the inter-species conflicts and wars, and heck even the music. You basically take a side with one or two factions at the expense of others and help them grow larger and more powerful. You do this through entirely gameplay and systems-based methods. There are also other systems like setting traps, crafting, (basic) stealth etc. I like all of this about the game, and the world is open too with exploration being rewarded decently enough.

What I really don't like are:
  • No builds. No stats. No checks.
  • Combat, a large element of the game, is cookie-cutter and mediocre. Maybe you would even say that it's bad.
  • Graphics are lame. There are many graphical glitches.
  • The protagonist looks fuck ugly.
  • The world is bland, even though it has several biomes. You can never tell where you are based on landmarks. You always have to rely on the map. There's that "LOD" hiding omnipresent white fog from games of several generations ago.
  • The puzzles feel out of place and boring.
  • The story is probably nothing too great.
The enjoyment i've had with this game has all been from the factional stuff, siding with foxes against 3 other species, allying with one other. You wage war with them by taking troops from your faction to kill them off, and when you do, you "found" a new village of your own on their dead bodies. The village "growth" is also systems-based, with gatherers actually going out and harvesting the needed materials. You can contribute to this as well. Every time you do something (for example upgrading a village for the first time) that becomes a new "concept" which is passed down to other species in the island, so they begin upgrading their own villages etc. Yeah i think these elements are really neat.

I don't know where i fall in general though. I'm not as of yet comfortable recommending or not recommending this game as a whole.

Can they modify or change the player character? Because muscle boy nigger is not how I roll my character~ At the very least, I want yellow. Failing that, white. And muscle knot body is not my chosen body type either
Nope. You are stuck with Mr. Fuckugly... his name is fucking Hue... why???

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Can they modify or change the player character? Because muscle boy nigger is not how I roll my character~ At the very least, I want yellow. Failing that, white. And muscle knot body is not my chosen body type either
Nope. You are stuck with Mr. Fuckugly... his name is fucking Hue... why???

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hue

Because they obviously wanted to maximize inclusiveness, strip away the RGB scale and ensure a dark spawn. Not exactly masonic level of esoteric.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Interesting, sure. Worthwhile? I dunno. Hard to say.

The game is systems heavy in the sense that its world is greatly simulated. This includes Economy, creature evolution, villages and cities, the inter-species conflicts and wars, and heck even the music.

Get a load of Peter over here :smug:

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Ahh Pine. I have fond memories of Pine.
main.gif

So is this a must buy? wait and see? don't bother? maybe get in a sale?
When in doubt, pirate. Try it for 30 minutes. If the devs can't create 30 minutes of fun, they can't create 40 hours of it.
and even then, nothing is assured: do you remember fahrenheit? its first scene, the one included into the demo, was probably the best game ever. do you remember how it continues? space nazis fight physical virtual entity over pre-colombian unlimited power while hobos protect the earth.

So is this a must buy? wait and see? don't bother? maybe get in a sale?
When in doubt, pirate. Try it for 30 minutes. If the devs can't create 30 minutes of fun, they can't create 40 hours of it.
and even then, nothing is assured: do you remember fahrenheit? its first scene, the one included into the demo, was probably the best game ever. do you remember how it continues? space nazis fight physical virtual entity over pre-colombian unlimited power while hobos protect the earth.

I was specifically talking about video games though. Not films.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I didn't find any more recent thread, but this is free for a week on EGS. It is also DRM-free, meaning after you download it you can zip the folder, store the game somewhere cozy and ignore EGS.

(the game itself doesn't seem to have that great reviews though, it is ~3.5/5 on GOG but it does have some positive reviews at least)

Norfleet

Followed by a gif showing the PC casually kiting 3 dumbass enemies.
To be fair, that's the PC, who is, presumably, the smartest one of the lot. The rest of them won't be.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom