Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pioneer space sim

potatojohn

Arcane
Much like The Dark Mod is the true Thief 4, Pioneer is the true Elite 4. An open source effort to remake and improve an old classic game whose de jure successor has become a consolized/MMO abomination.

u5L7aWr.png

It's slowly developing into a complete game. Most of the pieces are there, they just need more testing and tweaking.

Main page with downloads: http://pioneerspacesim.net/

Source: https://github.com/pioneerspacesim/pioneer

bug tracker: https://github.com/pioneerspacesim/pioneer

IRC: #pioneer on irc.freenode.net

TripJack

Hedonist
considering that graphics is p much all the game has right now, nothing

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Does not work on my computer, because of some bullshit about compressed textures
What's the error exactly?

I think the engine requires OpenGL >= 2.1, which is quite ancient.

that Pioneer cannot run on my graphics card because it doesn't support DXTn/S3TC texture format. Radeon 4800, Catalyst 10.3

DraQ

Arcane
In what way is it improved compared to the original? (except graphics)
Delta-V budgets, projectile based combat and acceleration depending on actual, rather than maximum mass.

Currently it's too bare bones to be an improvement in regard to anything else, because it simply lacks features at this point.

Still, when it adds regular piracy, subsystem damage model and some faction system with bearing on gameplay it will have officially surpassed the original in all areas.

potatojohn

Arcane
FYyujv3.png

No Orbiter on Linux? No problem :smug:

DraQ why don't you contribute an equation for Time To Periapsis/Apoapsis?

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This does sound interesting. I will have to give this a try when I finish a game or two I'm already playing.

I couldn't find the answer to this on my quick browse through their webpage and wiki: How large is the world? Does it grow procedurally? Ie.. if you are trying to escape a space corporation who has taken control of a system can you just keep flying away until you reach "uncharted" / new procedurally generated areas of the universe to set up shop?

DraQ

Arcane
There are three starting locations - Earth, New Hope and Bernard's Star
New Hope being in Epsilon Eridani so all starting locations are very close to Earth.

Current build is a mess though and will remain a mess until issues with one big, but very buggy update are resolved.
I believe 20140628 is the last build working reasonably well, although keep save invalidation in mind.

Morkar Left

What's wrong with Elite: Dangerous?
How can you ask this? IT'S TOTALLY UNREALISTIC! A DISGRACE TO ALL SPACE SIMS EVER RELEASED!

I think Pioneer will be a game in maybe around 5 years... still cool that they make it.

Tzaero

DEPARTED
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The people working on Pioneer say they're fine with it.

http://spacesimcentral.com/ssc/topic/4263-wanted-infos/

Fluffyfreak said:
Paragon is forked from the same code as Pioneer; I.e: it has taken Pioneers code and then built a separate game from it - we're all fine with this, it's open source and the license allows it just to be clear
icon_e_smile.gif

Since then Paragon has added their own code, gameplay and created their own art assets but most of the code is still the same and they port features that are written for Pioneer into Paragon and sometimes we port features written for Paragon back into Pioneer (again, as the license allows).

Think of it as two games sharing quite a lot of code but with different gameplay and teams.

Andy (usually a Pioneer coder)

potatojohn

Arcane
Fine as in "the licence allows it". Actually the paragon devs are apparently in violation of the licence as they haven't released the source of the recent releases.

Anyway, back to pioneer

naTk8DK.jpg

Autopilots added

Here are also some UI mockups. They're really good.

hud_mockup_nobar_8.png

BBS2.png

sysmap_loworbit2.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom