Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pioneer space sim

Severian Silk

I think Pioneer will be a game in maybe around 5 years... still cool that they make it.
You mean like Vega Strike?

Morkar Left

Is Vega Strike a full game by now? Never really tried.

Only installed the Privateer remake made with the vs engine and I found it a bit clunky from the interface (unprecise menubuttons to click and such).

potatojohn

Arcane
D7MGh3x.jpg

New UI

It needs some adjustment but I really like it

Last edited:
In what way is it improved compared to the original? (except graphics)
Delta-V budgets, projectile based combat and acceleration depending on actual, rather than maximum mass.

Currently it's too bare bones to be an improvement in regard to anything else, because it simply lacks features at this point.

Still, when it adds regular piracy, subsystem damage model and some faction system with bearing on gameplay it will have officially surpassed the original in all areas.
Does it have option to turn on Newtonian physics? Does the original have that?

Also has there been any attempt to make stars near Earth accurate? As in:
http://www.astrostudio.org/500nearest.html
(* Need a catalogue which which shows their actual positions versus each other, though)

Reason I add is because it's cool if could learn about real stars while playing. Then again, I imagine most of the nearby stars would be fuly explored, so there might not be much reason to go to them in the game, unless for societal reasons?

And btw all impressive stuff. My hat is off to you Draq for helping the project.

Lastly, there's this little gem 180 light years distance:
http://www.space.com/28046-nasa-kepler-exoplanet-k2-discovery.html?

Last edited:

DraQ

Arcane
DraQ, is it possible to fly on a low DeltaV ship to Mars now?
What do yup mean by low and what do you mean by possible?

If "low" is "low by Pioneer's standards" and also something like "lunar shuttle", while possible means "can be handled by autopilot" then yeah, I checked it yesterday.

Overall Pioneer ships have fantastic delta-v and good thrust compared to delta-v absolutely needed to get anywhere in the Solar system, so if autopilot can't do it, it should still be doable manually.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
What do yup mean by low and what do you mean by possible?

If "low" is "low by Pioneer's standards" and also something like "lunar shuttle", while possible means "can be handled by autopilot" then yeah, I checked it yesterday.

Overall Pioneer ships have fantastic delta-v and good thrust compared to delta-v absolutely needed to get anywhere in the Solar system, so if autopilot can't do it, it should still be doable manually.
Why wouldn't it be?
I made a mod that drastically cut delta-v of ships some time before you started posting them suggestions and they'd often end up getting to speed of ~150km/s and then burning through delta-v doing course corrections and then ending up without enough for braking and docking.

Here is ship data that I was using:
Code:
define_ship {
	name='Wave Heavy Hypersonic Fighter',
	model='wave',
	forward_thrust = 22e5,
	reverse_thrust = 12e5,
	up_thrust = 8e5,
	down_thrust = 8e5,
	left_thrust = 8e5,
	right_thrust = 8e5,
	angular_thrust = 140e5,
	camera_offset = v(0,.6,-13),
	gun_mounts =
	{
		{ v(0,-0.5,-10.7), v(0,0,-1), 5, 'HORIZONTAL' },
		{ v(0,-0.5,0), v(0,0,1), 5, 'HORIZONTAL' },
	},
	max_cargo = 30,
	max_laser = 2,
	max_missile = 4,
	max_cargoscoop = 0,
	max_fuelscoop = 0,
	min_crew = 1,
	max_crew = 1,
	capacity = 30,
	hull_mass = 13,
	fuel_tank_mass = 22,
	-- Exhaust velocity Vc [m/s] is equivalent of engine efficiency and depend on used technology. Higher Vc means lower fuel consumption.
	-- Smaller ships built for speed often mount engines with higher Vc. Another way to make faster ship is to increase fuel_tank_mass.
	effective_exhaust_velocity = 65000e1,
	price = 93000,
	hyperdrive_class = 0,
}

Last edited:

potatojohn

Arcane
I see. I don't think any work has been done on the autopilot. It's made to work with the very high delta-v ships in the game and burns directly at the target.

It does try to save some fuel for arrival but the slower you go the more corrections it needs to do, and at some point there won't be enough fuel even if a perfect manual burn would be fine.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I see. I don't think any work has been done on the autopilot. It's made to work with the very high delta-v ships in the game and burns directly at the target.

It does try to save some fuel for arrival but the slower you go the more corrections it needs to do, and at some point there won't be enough fuel even if a perfect manual burn would be fine.
Is the flight planner already implemented?

potatojohn

Arcane
How do I run it?
If you go into system view (f2 then f6) you'll see the planner controls in the top right corner

once you've set up whatever trajectory you want, go to the main view and orient your ship toward the blue pointer

unfortunately at the moment there's no way to tell in the main view when to stop burning, so you need to start burning and while holding the burn button, go into system view and watch your orbit change (it will keep burning if you hold the key when you switch)

once it's done switch back to main view and it'll stop

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom