Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Piranha Bytes acquired by THQ Nordic

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
PB cycle is around 3 years and we've know for some time that they're working on Elex 2, what happens after that is anyone's guess. I suppose a Gothic 1 remaster would be a good idea to get more people to play it, even though I can play it today and still love it...

Imagine Gothic remaster with Dark Souls combat ... the possibilities.

/s

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
cult favorite ELEX
It's a dramatic moment

giphy.gif

clear.png
clear.png
clear.png

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
This is great news... I can actually dream of a new Gothic using the Elex engine as a return to form for the franchise
Maybe even some new patches for the older games so they run correctly in modern PCs

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
PB cycle is around 3 years and we've know for some time that they're working on Elex 2, what happens after that is anyone's guess. I suppose a Gothic 1 remaster would be a good idea to get more people to play it, even though I can play it today and still love it...
A Gothic 1 remaster is a route I would have expected PB to go if they remained independent and wanted to strike out on their own to fund another project. But that was probably never going to happen. I doubt THQ Nordic J0w00000d 3.0 whoever is interested in reviving Gothic.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
True but those remasters were generally of more popular series (Darksiders, Red Faction ) and Gothic has always been fairly niche. But don't get me wrong I would AAA derp-face preorder a Gothic 1 remaster/revamp.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
True but those remasters were generally of more popular series (Darksiders, Red Faction ) and Gothic has always been fairly niche. But don't get me wrong I would AAA derp-face preorder a Gothic 1 remaster/revamp.
For sure they must have the code for both Gothic games around so even a simple patch like the ones from System Shock 2 or Arx Libertatis for both games to run without issues on modern systems would be fantastic

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Well... if they're going to sell it I'd expect more than just an Arx Libertatis patch.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
While combat in ELEX is a bit clunky and could be improved, it is still way more fun than a huge bunch of RPGs.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
While combat in ELEX is a bit clunky and could be improved, it is still way more fun than a huge bunch of RPGs.

Personally I think it worked really good in Risen 1. Can't tell you why, though ...

Morkar Left

Please no Gothic anymore. The story is finished. And Gothic 1 and 2 definitely don't need remakes. They are still fine as they are. Just use some texture mods and you are good to go. They can only lose doing a remake of those. Better focus on ELEX 2!

While there are plenty of action RPGs with mediocre-to-terrible combat, I literally struggle to think of anyone who was actually worse than ELEX. And I even liked ELEX overall.

When even your old games (Gothic 2 and Risen 1) are leagues ahead of your recent releases (Risen 2 and 3, ELEX) when it comes to combat, you are doing something wrong.
What's worse, there's now a model pretty much ready to be copied that would fit into Piranha Bytes design to a T. Yes, I'm talking about the Dark Souls shit.
Overdone? "WAAAAH! Not everything need to be Dark Souls"? I literally don't give a shit. It WOULD be a net improvement.

zurek

Literate
Personally I think it worked really good in Risen 1. Can't tell you why, though ...
The combat in Risen 1 is fast and responsive. When you attack, parry or dodge it happens almost immediately.

All games post Risen 1 have slower melee attack animations, enemies interrupt your attack mid swing more often and Elex makes it worse with adding stamina and having too many enemies with ranged weapons. Muskets and rifles are exempt from that and that's why they're less annoying to fight with.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
The combat in Risen 1 is fast and responsive. When you attack, parry or dodge it happens almost immediately.

That could be it. I remember it being very fast. Hmm, maybe there's hope that they will get back to it in ELEX 2? Oh well.

All games post Risen 1 have slower melee attack animations, enemies interrupt your attack mid swing more often and Elex makes it worse with adding stamina and having too many enemies with ranged weapons. Muskets and rifles are exempt from that and that's why they're less annoying to fight with.
That's just part of the problem. You can use deliberate slowness in a controlled way and have a good combat system regardless of the overall speed. Which ELEX doesn't.
There's also the issue with animations being garbage, collisions being even worse, no visual feedback on impact whatsoever, contextual animations being erratic and hard to predict, etc. It's an overall a genuinely bad system with no redeeming qualities (except being tied to a game that deserved better).

Black Angel

Arcane
While there are plenty of action RPGs with mediocre-to-terrible combat, I literally struggle to think of anyone who was actually worse than ELEX.
Bethesda games, for one.
Aside for setting the bar low, I'm not even sure that's true.
And I strongly dislike most of the Bethesda games I tried to play.
Have you even tried playing both games side-to-side? Try playing Skyrim or Fallout 4 melee build, and compare to it ELEX. Now, a disclaimer, I haven't tried ELEX even though I finally got it on PS4 during sale, but if ELEX's combat happened to be worse than fucking Skyrim or Fallout 4, I guess I'll kill myself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom