Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pirates of the Burning Sea looks f***ing kick ass

DarkSign

Erudite
http://mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm?GAMEID=68&SETVIEW=videos&VIDEOID=1105&bhcp=1

You guys can hate on MMOs all you want...watch this and tell me it doesnt look fun as hell.
I dare you.

They've done a great job of making non-consentual PvP something even PvEers can handle in multiple ways.

Amazingly great stuff. I wish I was in beta :(

User was nabbed fit

It does. And I'm not even into MMORPGs. I'm tempted to try this when it comes out...

Human Shield

Augur
Looks kinda like EVE with avatar combat (didn't look that great) and capturable ports. Sure as hell is going to come out way before Darkfall. Great design on ship movement and the fact that two low levels can take on high levels. PvP escalation is a good concept, see how it turns out.

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
I'll give it the usual treatment (buy the box, play it for two weeks, and resub every year or so just to see if I miss it.)

Honestly, I hope it will keep my attention. The whole design behind MMO's these days still doesn't compare to a good MUD. Once the regression from MUDs reverses a bit more, I'll be one happy camper.

Ladonna

Arcane
Funky.

However, then you meet the actual people that play it....

MetalCraze

Arcane
yes - the most annoying thing in all mmo"r"pgs is retards. I also quit playing any because they take like all the time.

...pvp balance seems to be better than in most games like this which is good.

tardtastic

Scholar
It sounds neat for what it is. While not an RPG in the traditional sense, at least from watching the video I get the impression that this game might not be the same grinding rubbish that other MMORPGs are. I'm likely to give it a try.

Unless, of course, I can't have a parrot. :evil:

113622ouwswpv6.jpg

It's a madhouse! A maaaadhoooouse!

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Nothing impressive. 100% player made goods and merchant class always sets off an alarm.

No mention of death penalty.

PVP sounded retarded and convoluted.

Human Shield

Augur
HanoverF said:
Nothing impressive. 100% player made goods and merchant class always sets off an alarm.

Yeah, player made goods can be a problem because MMOGs don't impose any needs on the avatar. If a clan needs cannon balls they are just going to build them and hand them out, hopefully port restricted resources will help (iron is only at certain ports).

Heard the death penalty is just sending you back to your newb starting boat.

PVP is convoluted but hopefully it will provide some balance. Heard that you declare an attack and then after a bit the combat is locked between those sides and outsiders can't join, this could work out very well and simulation a series of battles instead of a gank fest.

DarkSign

Erudite
errorcode said:
*Blink*

*Blink*

codexers like the look of my game?

Your game? You're on the dev team? Dude. If you are, Ive GOT GOT GOT to get into beta. You see how much I love it...braving the Codex reactions

HanoverF said:

Nothing impressive? The character creation is just as great if not better than the MMO that everyone says is the best, CoH. And I dare you to compare it to a SP game.

Player created content - yes that can be a problem as it was in Face of Mankind, although I believe making a game that's more crafting-centric and more sophisticated in it's structure is what we've been asking for.

Simply saying "retarded and convoluted" means nothing if you dont explain why a certain thing you've seen = bad. Make an argument, dont just have an opinion.

I hope they work on avatar combat so that it's more sophisticated with swordplay.

tardtastic

Scholar
i'm cooler than darksign, if anyone should get into the beta it's me :cool:

:wink: hi

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Resident MMO Whore said:
Nothing impressive? The character creation is just as great if not better than the MMO that everyone says is the best, CoH.

And that was demonstrated in the video where? ZOMG he changed TWO colors and coats and stuff! The demonstrator spent more time asking how much time he had spent then demonstrating character creation.

Did you watch that video you linked?

For control of a port you bombard it with your nation player made goods (uhm) and this creates unrest (wha?) So Pirates can pvp anyone entering (err?) and then theres a 3 day free for all(???), and finally two 25 man teams from the top nation fight for control. Convoluted and retarded. This is just from memory, so I might have loused something up, but don't really care to rewatch to double check.

Plus the interviewer was Canadian. So it gets a big - there

DarkSign

Erudite
Who says we're just limited to that video, chief? Do you limit yourself to one interview when explaining how tardtastic FO3 is? Of course not. So back the fuck up.

Second of all you still havent made an argument. Sure, you've restated the terms convoluted and retarded, but you havent said why.

An argument goes like this:

"The game has X. This is bad because Y." If you want to make it even stronger you can say "Remember when game C had X in it? And how that sucked because Y"

All you did was say "This game has X. It's retarded and convoluted." Spit it out man. What's in your brain doesnt just leap to the page.

psycojester

Arbiter
Game looks bloody awesome.

This is a second for pressuring the possible dev for beta spots.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
aRetardSaysWhat said:

So you have no defense. You presented the video claiming it looked fun as hell. The combat looked dull and at best unfinished, the ship combat looked ok, but it was hard to tell what the hell was going on, they barely touched on character creation (which you claim is the bestest evah) no real discussion of skills, and the interviewer was Canadian. None of these things say fun. I'm not going to take time to look for more stuff to confirm whether it is in fact fun. Rather if you have differing evidence you should present it.

But fine, we'll try it your way:

The game has your support. This is bad because you are a MMORPG whore. Remember all those other MMORPG's you came here supporting? Those all were bad.

errorcode

Liturgist
just to clarify the pvp a bit.

Nations start play with control of certain ports, each port having a set of resources that are available to be harvested there as well as controlling an area of water around it.

Players are able to take PVE missions or attack NPC or player ships of that ports nation in it's nearby water to slowly erode away that nations control of that port. Once it reaches a certain level of unrest, the port can no longer regulate the waters nearby - opening it to open pvp where captains can duke it out and either restore order or further destabilize the area.

if things continue to destabilize, then a port battle is announced. This is a large battle between the defending nation and the national side that caused the most unrest. The winner of this battle takes control of that port for their nation.

tardtastic

Scholar
goddamnit, errorcode, stop beating around the bush here --
PARROTS: YES OR NO ????

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom