Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pirates of the Burning Sea looks f***ing kick ass

User was nabbed fit

+1 for the beta? I've done a few others if that helps. Also, I'm willing to give sexual favors.

:blush:

Cassidy

Arcane
I prefer MMOFPSes, the community sucks, but at least you don't need to spend months levelling in 20 hours daily gaming to beat the jerks that infest any MMO community if you had some experience with FPSes before, neither you spend time with the fucking boring level treadmill at all. PlanetSide is a good concept, no fucking dumb NPC mobs for you to waste hours and hours for a damn level or "ph4t l00t", pure PvP and tactical gameplay with 3 different warring factions. Too bad SOE screwed it up.

I'm still waiting for a game that changes the "MMORPGs sucks" view by dumping all the shit(dumb mobs, "ph4t l00t", long boring level treadmill before the real action begins, and so on).

tardtastic

Scholar
Well according to the demo video, low-level players will still have a potentially substantial effect on naval battles...? So, VO - does that address what you're saying in some way?

tardtastic

Scholar
anyway i wanted a red and green parrot, not a blue and yellow one like the one on the box :evil:
obviously this is a sign of you dumbing-down your game for mass-market appeal

can anyone say "oblivion with flintlocks" :evil: :evil: :evil:

User was nabbed fit

tardtastic said:
Well according to the demo video, low-level players will still have a potentially substantial effect on naval battles...? So, VO - does that address what you're saying in some way?

I was saying something?

:o

Cassidy

Arcane
ViolentOpposition said:
tardtastic said:

I was saying something?

:o

I'm not your alt, right?

tardtastic

Scholar
i identify people by their avatars because i am a graphics-whore who hates reading text, and your avatars looked really similar to me and then things just got all higgledeepiggledee

Human Shield

Augur
Cassidy said:
I prefer MMOFPSes, the community sucks, but at least you don't need to spend months levelling in 20 hours daily gaming to beat the jerks that infest any MMO community if you had some experience with FPSes before, neither you spend time with the fucking boring level treadmill at all. PlanetSide is a good concept, no fucking dumb NPC mobs for you to waste hours and hours for a damn level or "ph4t l00t", pure PvP and tactical gameplay with 3 different warring factions. Too bad SOE screwed it up.

I'm still waiting for a game that changes the "MMORPGs sucks" view by dumping all the shit(dumb mobs, "ph4t l00t", long boring level treadmill before the real action begins, and so on).

World War 2 online has a 14 day trial. Heard it is good if you can get with a group that does command missions (direct actions from the General, who is a player that rose within the community not by getting frags). I mite try it one day, good if you don't mind dated graphics it was released like 5 years ago with a lackluster launch but I think a major patch just came out.

errorcode

Liturgist
tardtastic said:
anyway i wanted a red and green parrot, not a blue and yellow one like the one on the box :evil:

well, the blue and yellow version looks better with the spectacular light bloom effects and when you see them fly around using radiant AI and the first time you see one ask about mud crabs, it's simple mind-blowing!

oh wait....that was a different game...

but mud crabs really are horrible creatures, you should avoid them.

Human Shield

Augur
That is good info. No raising HP is a plus.

The trading system looks good. The player is hard capped at 10 workshops and products have to go through a production chain. The workshops are also set on certain islands. Uneven resources is what makes trade happen, and taking a trader class means not getting certain ship and combat skills. Hopefully with will open things up and force player interact. Limited by real world hours helps too, I hope a handfull of ports are contested at all times to effect trade or else trade will be a carebear grind.

Morbus

Scholar
errorcode said:
tardtastic said:

well, the blue and yellow version looks better with the spectacular light bloom effects and when you see them fly around using radiant AI and the first time you see one ask about mud crabs, it's simple mind-blowing!

oh wait....that was a different game...

but mud crabs really are horrible creatures, you should avoid them.
Ahaha, you said it! Imma buy this game. Looks fun for a change...

Müg

Scholar
Shit, I'm so bloody into this. Nation war-esque things are incredibly addicting for me, I'd so LOVE to test that out. I remember the awesome sieges in Space Cowboy Online. That kind of thing is a total, total blast.

errorcode

Liturgist
i think we just got a red and green parrot in.

i'm going to blatantly lie and say it was totally just for Tardtastic :D

here's looking at you kid!

psycojester

Arbiter
Whilst the game looks great i'm a bit worried about the opportunities for PVP. How out around the ports will the zone extend? Something around the size of a regular MMORPG zone?

I'd also be curious to know if theres going to be all-out PVP servers, becasue nothing would make me happier than running with a wolf pack of friends on team-speak, using one guy in an empty merchant ship as bait whilst we lurk behind a nearby island, draw the enemy into pursuit of the merchant ship and then subsequently emerge from hiding behind and rake his shit from the stern, preferably with chain shot, before leaving whittling down his crew and morale and capturing his vessel.

My other concern is how are you going to balance the insane popularity of the pirates against tyhe other races, as it i think you'll going to end up with a situation in which each of the empires is going to have a fairly small population of skilled players attempting to navigate a sea filled with lolzing morons calling themselves xXJACKSPARROWSZXx

Oh and where are our beta invites alread?

errorcode

Liturgist
psycojester said:
Whilst the game looks great i'm a bit worried about the opportunities for PVP. How out around the ports will the zone extend? Something around the size of a regular MMORPG zone?
The pvp zone around a given town is a fairly decent circle around the town being put into contention. By itself it's not huge, but when you have multiple towns in various stages of contention located near each other - you end up with a PVP zone of a pretty impressive size. If you look at a map of the Caribbean, imagine a potential pvp zone ranging from around the western edge of Cuba following the island chains all the way nearly to the northern tip of south america.
I'd also be curious to know if theres going to be all-out PVP servers, becasue nothing would make me happier than running with a wolf pack of friends on team-speak, using one guy in an empty merchant ship as bait whilst we lurk behind a nearby island, draw the enemy into pursuit of the merchant ship and then subsequently emerge from hiding behind and rake his shit from the stern, preferably with chain shot, before leaving whittling down his crew and morale and capturing his vessel.
I believe this was something that was talked about, but we decided against. I'm not 100% sure on that though, so we may end up with full on PVP servers - but that would take some of the fun out of putting ports into contention and creating the pvp zones and the strategic element that comes from that.

Have a rival trading company? Put key ports into contention and make his normal shipping route to dangerous to take. Want a safe harbor to strike from? win a port battle and turn a small portion of the pvp map in the middle into a non-pvp zone, where you can quickly sail from and strike at anyone who passes to close by.

My other concern is how are you going to balance the insane popularity of the pirates against tyhe other races, as it i think you'll going to end up with a situation in which each of the empires is going to have a fairly small population of skilled players attempting to navigate a sea filled with lolzing morons calling themselves xXJACKSPARROWSZXx
From what we're seeing in beta, pirates are popular. But the other nations are certainly getting played. I think once people get into the game and look around and get a sense of the possibilities ahead of them, the "lol, i want to be a pirate" urge will fade.

I mean, you can play the dashing naval officer and get your hands on true ships of the line like the 104 gun monster, out pirate the pirates by playing a privateer - essentially a professional pirate mercenary forwarding the national goals of your country...as long as those goals include continuing this state of indirect war, or play as the freetrader and play everyone against each other while you strive to make it rich by any means necessary.
Oh and where are our beta invites alread?

Eightball says! "Try again later"

Müg

Scholar
How many characters are there per player available, and do they have shared inventories? (Most MMOs I'd hope so, but this one I'm kinda hoping not.) Is there some kind of guild system?

errorcode

Liturgist
i'm not sure what the final number per server is, but no there isn't a shared inventory (although you can transfer trade-able goods through a third party if you want to)

as for guilds, yes - we have a guild system in place :)

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Hiring two of the industry's premiere game music composers, the talents of Adam Gubman and Jeff Kurtenacker bring the Caribbean to life with over an hour's worth of historically and nationally flavored mood and event music, queues and scores

:lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom