Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pirates of the Burning Sea looks f***ing kick ass

errorcode

Liturgist
Pirates pre-order boxes go on the shelves today. We've added some cool stuff for the folks who pre-order the game, including the ability to play it early.

so for you folks interested in picking this up, now is the time to do it :)

EDIT: D'oh, i'm filthy fucking liar. It ships today, but won't be on shelves till tomorrow. So tomorrow pre-order boxes will be available for purchase.

Quigs

Magister
Silly question.

If im not planning on being a power gamer or any of that nonsense (havent played an online game since EQ, despite being made by SOE, Im still pretty damned interested in this one), Is taking the naval officer route worth it?

Maybe im reading too much into it, but it seems like the officer's route has a larger scale, starting smaller then a pirate and working your way up to the big leagues, which in any online game, invariably requires a large amount of sucking various guild cock to get ahead. Im not going to be able to put the time or effort into doing anything like that.

vrok

Liturgist
Being an MMO player and having played this game I have to say I disliked it.

Avatar itemization was horrible, quests were ridiculous and outdrawn, avatar combat was mostly one or two shotting npcs unless you got swarmed in which case you'd be dead in 5 seconds and of course Britannia ruled the world with serious population imbalance. Boring.

Quigs

Magister
I expected that from the start. After all, when your choices are British, mexican, or french, which would you choose?

errorcode

Liturgist
vrok said:
Being an MMO player and having played this game I have to say I disliked it.

Avatar itemization was horrible, quests were ridiculous and outdrawn, avatar combat was mostly one or two shotting npcs unless you got swarmed in which case you'd be dead in 5 seconds and of course Britannia ruled the world with serious population imbalance. Boring.

congrats on judging a game on out-dated code and it's initial beta. Want a cookie?

If you played it in beta, then you played a build were almost none of the itemization was even in place. We've added a couple hundred new items that cover a broader range of itemization needs.

Avatar combat is less about your ability in one on one combat and more in controlling the flow of a larger battle. sure you're one shotting low level trash mobs, thats the point. You're generally fighting large groups lead by a captain, so you've got to figure out how to tip the balance so your crew can dominate the other crew. You can't just focus on how uber you are or yeah, you're gonna get swarmed and lose.

as for population imbalances currently Britannia has the higher population, but spain has the better PVP groups which is letting them take key ports and the pirate population is using their ability to put ports into contention to create numerous PVP spots all over the highlands, keeping the british running around trying to restore order to their ports.

Instead of coming with weak shit and just complaining, how about you actually bring up the issues you didn't like and why so i can either explain why they are like that or actually go in and fix them (yes, we can actually fix things players don't like)

errorcode

Liturgist
Quigs said:
Silly question.

If im not planning on being a power gamer or any of that nonsense (havent played an online game since EQ, despite being made by SOE, Im still pretty damned interested in this one), Is taking the naval officer route worth it?

Maybe im reading too much into it, but it seems like the officer's route has a larger scale, starting smaller then a pirate and working your way up to the big leagues, which in any online game, invariably requires a large amount of sucking various guild cock to get ahead. Im not going to be able to put the time or effort into doing anything like that.

We've worked hard to keep the game as solo-play friendly as possible while still offering content for groups to tackle. If you want to play a naval character, you'll have plenty of content that is catered for a naval player as you level up and then will have access to some of the largest ships in the game once you reach end-game. This isn't because we wanted navy character to be uber in end-game, but because it just made since that Naval characters would get the ability to sail ships of the line (which were primarily being made for national fleets).

we've tried to make leveling a navy character about rising through the ranks of the navy. If you've ever read the hornblower series, you'll know where we're coming from in sense of the flavor and involvement that we want the player to experience.

heh, sorry for the rambling answer. Does that shed some light on what you were wondering?

errorcode

Liturgist
it hasn't but I have no ability to come after you if you were to break it since i have no idea who you are.

:)

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
This game actually sounds pretty awesome. I was unaware of the "fight to control ports" mechanic, sounds wicked. Might have to try this one out :D

Quigs

Magister
errorcode said:
heh, sorry for the rambling answer. Does that shed some light on what you were wondering?

Yepper, much. Ill almost definitely be picking this one up pre-order now. I was just worried about how much player interaction is needed to get around the mid-late game. The whole workshop instead of farm thing looks very friggen awesome.

DarkSign

Erudite
Ok well with that wonderful permission I'll just say a few words.

I think the game is really good for the most part. The character creation is quite fun as there are a bazillion options...all of them more fun than the next.

The avatar combat doesnt feel like an afterthought and the discussion on the forums as to the three fighting styles is lively.The idea to go with a turn-based scheme instead of something more immediate saves it from the evils of twitch and makes your skill choices more tactical...although until you progress far enough with your points choices it's a lot of the same button-mashing at first.

Naval combat is a lot of fun and really doesnt get old. Of course I still have the box to my Privateers! Bounty singleplayer naval game (which PotBS feels a lot like..both in UI and pacing). FSS isnt breaking new ground with the quests, but they do a great job of bringing the rivalries to life. Crafting is VERY deep and interdependency on other players is quite big. This is a good thing as nations require teamwork. Does anyone remember real teamwork?

Other than the simplistic graphical style (which fits the genre but isnt my cup of tea) my real problem with the game is finding naval battles at your own level. I hung out in the beta IRC channel a lot and got guided to where I needed to find battles, but it's just too hard to find battles that are winnable once you're in the middle.

More specifically once you've reached level 8 or 10 you can go around the world and find either level 1s and 3s or level 34s and 42s. Since my gaming rig died due to electrical brownout I only got to level 16 or so...so take my thoughts with a grain.

I must say that beta has been run really well and anyone who balks at waiting in line to get in during the stress test is a freeloader, not a beta tester. I'll most likely buy the game, but tbh if I dont meet someone who invites me to a guild I wont play as long as I might otherwise.

Congrats to the devs...they should be proud.

errorcode

Liturgist
remove the screenshot, so that if someone less loving as me comes along and sees your character name and enforces the NDA. (or blur the names)

vrok

Liturgist
errorcode said:
There's a reason I used past tense. And yes, I judge betas to determine if games are of interest to me or not. Completed or not is irrelevant, it's still easy to judge what appeals to me and what doesn't.

I didn't come up with anything other than "weak shit" because I don't care enough about the game to bother, that's why I stopped using my beta account instead of playing it "because it's free".

Conveniently you seem to have left out France in your population balance description, but I guess it's hard to describe a faction with no active players, right? :D

User was nabbed fit

vrok said:
Conveniently you seem to have left out France in your population balance description, but I guess it's hard to describe a faction with no active players, right?

Give me your account, and France will have an active player.

:cool:

errorcode

Liturgist
vrok said:
errorcode said:
There's a reason I used past tense. And yes, I judge betas to determine if games are of interest to me or not. Completed or not is irrelevant, it's still easy to judge what appeals to me and what doesn't.

I didn't come up with anything other than "weak shit" because I don't care enough about the game to bother, that's why I stopped using my beta account instead of playing it "because it's free".

Conveniently you seem to have left out France in your population balance description, but I guess it's hard to describe a faction with no active players, right? :D

As for france, sure, right now they're the minority. But the folks who're playing french characters still seem to be enjoying it. Do we have the system perfect yet? nope. Are we trying to get it right? fuck yeah we are. WOW can barely get 2 factions balanced properly after being on the market for a while and we're rolling out the gate with 4 and feedback so far is that folks are pleased the dynamics of it, so i'd say we're starting on the right foot.

Quigs

Magister
Can you say with any amount of certainty that SOE will never force players to be french?

errorcode

Liturgist
SOE can't force us to implement anything. It's in our contract. we retain 100% creative control of the property.

and no, we won't be forcing anyone to be any nation, or barring anyone from joining a popular nation. the point of MMOs is to play with your friends, so putting those kinds of artificial population controls in would both fail to fix the underlying problem and piss off new players who wanted to play with their friends but found themselves unable to do so.

Now, we might offer incentives - like underdog buffs or in-game taxation reductions. WE haven't figured it out completely yet, but we will have systems in place that will help make being the underdogs fun at some point.

User was nabbed fit

There is a public stress test going on right now, for those who are interested...

You just need a free Fileplanet account.

errorcode

Liturgist
ViolentOpposition said:
There is a public stress test going on right now, for those who are interested...

You just need a free Fileplanet account.

let me know if any of you guys get in for it so i can come hunting for ya :)

Also, thanks to the snafu with Gods and heroes our pre-order boxes got a bit jumbled on their way to shelves. They should be on shelves now and putting your cash down on one gets you a funky fresh parrot, a jump start on the live launch (i think it's like a week headstart), and some other killer perks like the soundtrack

The soundtrack rocks. Our sound designer is hands down on of the best folks i've ever worked with in the industry. She has a great ear for atmospheric sounds as well as the music. The soundtrack is well worth the $5 you put down for a pre-order at most places.

User was nabbed fit

errorcode said:
let me know if any of you guys get in for it so i can come hunting for ya :)

I'd have loved to, but three days it too short. I downloaded the client from the closest Fileplanet server to me, but when I unzipped I got an "Unexpected end of archive" error.
I got ticked off, considering the size (even though I was DLing at 800 kbp/s), but I decided to download it again thinking it was just a problem.

Nope, second DL and I got exactly the same error. There's definitely a problem with the file itself on that particular server. Bollocks. Now I can't be pissed to download it again because too much time has already been wasted.

One week would've been better, IMO. Give some time to people who can't play all day. :wink:

psycojester

Arbiter
800kb? Fuck i hate you. My downloads go about 100kb tops.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom