Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pirates of the Burning Sea looks f***ing kick ass

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
I would buy and play the game if I had the free time, hardware and connection. Can I just get a forum account and forum whore your boards when I'm done my rotation at my job site?

Sisay

Liturgist
What would the main advantages of Pirates of the Burning Sea be over Eve Online? I got the idea the PvP is supposed to be more like DAoC RvR than territorial control in Eve? I think I'll give Pirates of the Burning Sea a go but after UO, SWG and Eve it's hard to go back to the XP treadmill. Fucking EQ had to go and kill all the creativity in the genre.

DarkSign

Erudite
Dont blame EQ for killing innovation. They didnt hold a gun to the head of every other designer in the field.

WoW is simply EQ with cartoon graphics and a more user-friendly interface.

You should absolutely give PotBS a whirl.

errorcode

Liturgist
Sisay said:
What would the main advantages of Pirates of the Burning Sea be over Eve Online? I got the idea the PvP is supposed to be more like DAoC RvR than territorial control in Eve? I think I'll give Pirates of the Burning Sea a go but after UO, SWG and Eve it's hard to go back to the XP treadmill. Fucking EQ had to go and kill all the creativity in the genre.

Our PvP is nation versus nation for territorial control. Frankly, I'm not all that familiar with PvP in Daoc or EVE since I never really got deep into either. Daoc didn't appeal to me thematically and EVE lost me in it's rather repetitive gameplay (What, another 10 mins of watching my ship mine an asteroid? fuck that)

as for the treadmill...my hope, as a content design monkey, is that it will never feel like a treadmill as you level up. We've gone above and beyond to ship with a huge number of missions for you to do, as well as the repeatable stuff like bounty hunting and economy missions, coupled with the PvP content that there will be enough that the player will want to do that it'll never feel like a grind.

so far it feels like that to me, but i'm biased :)

errorcode

Liturgist
well, that angry cunt can PM me and i'll see if I can find one for the upcoming open beta we're going to be starting soon.

:)

errorcode

Liturgist
heh, i'm not worried about astro. I've known him on here for a long while and figure that any slamming he levels my way will generally be well thought out and generally valid.

errorcode

Liturgist
plus the NDA is now over. So speak freely :)

I've gotten a couple requests for beta keys, so i'm off to hassle our community manager about them.

DarkSign

Erudite
The one and only bad thing I had to say (which I've said before but will repeat) was that it's a bit hard to find ship battles that fit one's level. But perhaps that's a non-issue and merely due to my stupidity.

Otherwise the game is top-notch! Congratulations.

errorcode

Liturgist
Level difference really doesn't matter as much in our game as it does in other MMOs. I regularly take on higher level ships (+5 or so). If i find i can't take them on ship to ship, then i just pound on them with grape shot then board them.

but, you should also find that finding more level appropriate fights in the open ocean will be easier in upcoming beta patches. We've added a lot of new spawns (including rare spawns) and expanded on some of the evil pirate gang spawn tables.

psycojester

Arbiter
I think we can put that one down to a case of "darksign is fucking pathetic"

psycojester

Arbiter
I'm quite interested in the game, but feel deep anxiety about having to fight off 999999 J4CK 5P4RROWZZZZXXXX the uberleet 12 year old pirate.

DarkSign

Erudite
In the interest of full disclosure, I found a counter-point to my enthusiasm for the game over on the GuildCafe forums.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter who owns/publishes/develops a game, if the game is horrible. The only thing that matters is that the game is horrible.

Below is a list of my first 5 land missions (quests):

1) Every single npc is identical
Objective : Clear whole zone

2) Exact same map, exact same npc's in exact same locations
Objective : Loot a chest

3) Exact same map, exact same npc's in exact same locations
Objective : Loot a map

4) Exact same map, exact same npc's in exact same locations
Objective : Clear whole zone

5) Exact same map, exact same npc's in exact same locations
Objective : Does it really matter?

I'm not sure about the objectives at this point since it was a couple weeks ago, but it was definately the exact same map, with exact same npc's, in the exact same locations every time.

This would of probably been a fun MMORPG if it came in in the late 1990's. Today though it's just pathetic.

I think that's a bit harsh simply because the main point of the game (the faction war) is done quite well. But avatar combat isn't setting any new records for breakthroughs.

errorcode

Liturgist
I'm not sure it's as bleak as that poster describes. Granted, you're going to be fighting predominantly human characters who are cosmetically different, but it's not going to have the visual distinction of say going from fighting kobolds to giant slimes. If you don't like fighting other humans, then this game isn't going to be for you.

The room issue is pretty annoying right now though. We made a design decision way back in the day to use standardize encounters in set rooms. As the avatar component grew in scope, we quickly realized that it was outpacing our ability to create variant room/encounter combos. Which is why, even though each mission is designer crafted, some of them feel sort of "cut and paste""

We're switching to hand crafting all new encounters and moving away from the standardized set-up so anything new that goes into game won't feel like "been there, done that". I believe we also have a plan to go through the old encounters and "spice" them up, but i don't know where that plan is at right now.

errorcode

Liturgist
our whole team thinks it's important. We all try to be really involved in our forums. Me though, i skip our forums and come here since this is my real home (plus i just love you fuckers).

errorcode

Liturgist
psycojester said:
I'm quite interested in the game, but feel deep anxiety about having to fight off 999999 J4CK 5P4RROWZZZZXXXX the uberleet 12 year old pirate.

heh, our PvP system makes these people actually useful.

since each ship has a set of "Durability points" (a number of times it can be sunk before it can't be used anymore) it makes hunting down and killing these asshats so much more satisfying.

i mean, how much joy you'd get, deep down in your heart, when you fired a 52 shot volley into "JAXXXX SPERROW" and watched him go up in flames, then see the following text:

"o man that was my last dur point you dick!"

You just took that douchemonkey's fancy ship away and struck a blow for cosmic justice. It's cathartic, really.

psycojester

Arbiter
I must play this game right now.

although that does raise a concern for me, i'm in Australia and on average get around 300 ping to American MMORPG servers, is that going to have much of an effect on me in ship to ship combat? or are those calculations handled server side, so i don't have a problem with firing at phantoms when the other guy is actually several miles away.

Astromarine

Erudite
I want to make my Commander Harrington NOW damnit! Release the game early and unfinished like any other damn MMO, errorcode. Noone will care and I can play now.

also: what's the current plan for us Eurofags? simultaneous release? separate servers? For all that I NEED this game, I don't actually know that much about it.

DarkSign

Erudite
Since the NDA might as well be down, here's what one of my characters looked like :)

Char-creation2.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom