Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Planetside 2

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Used to, but when it started it was really buggy, the territories were messed up, not optimized, very grindy. Just got boring after the initial coolness of fighting amongst hundreds of people(which was a clusterfuck, in a bad way, anyways).

Although a good clusterfuck is part of any war, soldier (and you're a faggot), battles process much better now, with epic food zerg assaults leading the charge against entrenched tanks while our airborne comrades fight for our superiority on both air and ground. SOE also released a game update which was basically better than jesus as it increased FPS by 50% across the board, some system even see double their framerate.

Just yesterday I was in charge of leading the defense of The Palisade, and though the Terran menace saw gains initially, we finally deadzoned them on the bridge towards the crown, hailing death and destruction onto their tanks from above. The battle lasted a good 2 hours, but eventually the VS emerged victorious and though we were exhausted the nanites flew aplenty that night on top of The Crown.

I personally awarded the Medal of Infiltrator Butte (the highest honor in the VS) to everyone that brought me 50 or more terran scalps.

Last edited:

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Game is plagued by numerous mechanic problems. Most obvious of all is this:
IXTNAJy.jpg

This is the cancer that is killing Planetside 2. Eternal neverending and tedious spawncamping. When defenders can't do shit because of constant barrage and overwhelming zerg. Base design is atrocious, encouraging spawncamping and insanely boring experience. Should they fix it - game would be awesome, but no, they waster resources and time on new camo, new props and other cosmetic shit idiots buy.

I'm inclined to disagree with space satan. I haven't played the game for a long time up until this point and I am noticing new blockades and specific dead-zones which have been added to the map the prevent spawn camping in certain areas. Sure, it's still a problem, however it's not as massive-a-problem as it used to be back in the day.

Last edited:

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
I don't know. I played a bit and my only complain, aside from clipping shotgun shells through crates, is that people are not organized. Instead of obsessively spawning in the doomed and surrounded building, why don't people, I don't know place heavy artillery veichles from surrounding mountains or something? In PlanetSide 1 it worked, and painting targets was fun.
Oh, right, no artillery.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
So if a spawnroom is camped like in the Screenshot provided by Space Satan, why don't the defenders simply choose to spawn one base over instead of choosing to spawn inside the camped base?
Even though artillery is lacking, from what I recall it's a relatively short trip between bases. Certainly you will be able to do more good spawning one base over instead of getting "farmed" as soon as you step outside the shields of a camped spawnroom.

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
That is my main gripe actually. Just a couple of hours ago I was asking myself why the fuck couldn't ome people flank the fuckers with tanks, spawning APCs and fucking bomb their veichles from the air?
I do know you have to have a presence inside the last defensible place otherwise the capture countwon accelerates or something (which is what I don't like aout this iterartion of the base capturing, at least on 1 you had different objectives for capturing a base, like getting the fuck out while chased by virtually everybody and don't we forget about the glorious ANT.)

You know, since I am bitching so much abot the differences (at least in my head) why the fuck am I still playing it?

Downgrading things when going from an original to a sequel is never good, however I'm still inclined to say that as far as free to play shooters go it's pretty amusing for what you put into it.

Play it, get bored, throw it away. (And pick it up a couple of months later if you feel like doing so)

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
Yeah, that is pretty much what I am doing.

What I like:
- You have all the classes unlocked and can spawn and pilot any veichle if you have the resources.
- Much more stable client , with PS1 I had to reboot t least once every 1-2 hours of play.
- It's free to play.
- Good variety of base design.

What I don't like:
- Cannot capture small outpost.
- Cannot enter places if the arbitrary shield is up.
- Where is the artillery?
- Where is the Phantasm?
- Where are the Jammer grenades?
- Where is mah TRAP?
- Where are the AI controlled turrets that could cover your ass from enemy infitrators? There were AA-AT-Invisible and Infrafuckingred ones?
- Where are the Colossus, Aphelion and the Peregrine?
- Where is the ANT?
- Capturing bases is too abstract, no longer we take generator cores and bring them to the other friendly base (running away on a Basilisk being covered by air support was fun)
- No more risk/reward generator disabling. In PS1 if you destroyed the generator meant that you could not spawn veichles until an ANT recharged it after capture.
- The bases are too close. Some of the veichles are no longer useful.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
People DO spawn somewhere else if the spawn site is camped. The main problem is that often you have to run a looooooooong time to reach nearby location and Sunderers are blasted in secondsby the blocading forces. There are other complications too but for now spawncamping is plain horrible experience. I hear that people who playerd PS1 complain about lack of supply limit that you have to replenish with convoys. Never played PS1 but even with that PS2 system with captures based solely on time is not working well.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
What? They are planning to add it in test servers? From what I heared they only test mission system, new continent and try to fixhorrible mess by the name of Amerish.

Shralla

Educated
I really want to like this game. I really really do. But the lattice system sucks. It's an improvement over no path capture system at all, but it's unnecessary at best and detrimental at worst to make every capture point part of the lattice. They need to have capturable side bases that aren't part of the lattice but provide obvious strategic bonuses. Like towers in Planetside 1.

Speaking of which, I hear Planetside 1 is going f2p in April or June or something. I think I might check that out.

Shralla

Educated
ps1 is terrible

It was a more fun and more complete game than Planetside 2 is to date, and that was just in playing Reserves for a while. I'll gladly take a more finished product with a metagame that's actually in place over a game that's been in public beta for a year and a half and clearly still hasn't figured out what actually makes games like this interesting.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
ps1 is terrible

It was a more fun and more complete game than Planetside 2 is to date, and that was just in playing Reserves for a while. I'll gladly take a more finished product with a metagame that's actually in place over a game that's been in public beta for a year and a half and clearly still hasn't figured out what actually makes games like this interesting.
wrong

Shralla

Educated
ps1 is terrible

wrong

Do you like Planetside 2 or do you just not like Planetside 1?

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
ps1 is terrible

wrong

Do you like Planetside 2 or do you just not like Planetside 1?
none of both, ps2 is just plain superior to ps1

Echo Mirage

Arcane
I really want to like this game. I really really do. But the lattice system sucks. It's an improvement over no path capture system at all, but it's unnecessary at best and detrimental at worst to make every capture point part of the lattice. They need to have capturable side bases that aren't part of the lattice but provide obvious strategic bonuses. Like towers in Planetside 1.

Speaking of which, I hear Planetside 1 is going f2p in April or June or something. I think I might check that out.

The lattice system was a massive improvement over the base game, which was nothing more then a wild zerg to the crown. At which point all momentum in the outfits was lost and the whole map soon after. But the lattice suffered greatly when I was still playing thanks to the alert system. Which saw entire outfits suicide hop back to the jumpgate to get to the Esamir fight for a few extra cert. Leaving everyone else in a hopeless fight against a capitalising zerg. At least everyone avoided the Amerish alerts like the plague on the Waterson server where Indar was the be all and end all.

But what killed the game for me was the ability to create more then one character per server. As soon as Waterson lost Total biscuit and Angry Joe, Waterson TR lost its Indar lock and that broke their back and never recovered. After that server populations fluxed with the added issue of the gates being circled once a month or so...except for waterson that had the NC and purple spandex guys hold the north for 3 months at least in early 2013. As well as very bad balance patches that made the TR a three weapon, and two class faction. So I went over to Mattherson to help the Codexia's very own BuzzCutPsycho and his Enclave. But things got so bad on that server that Buzz made this video just before I applied to join them.

After that the writing was on the wall for me and the game.

PS: Buzz and his Enclave recently went back to WOW and seem to be kicking massive ass.

I like it how old that video is. It's like typing some news from the 40s and claiming that they're news today.

Next in this thread: Echo Mirage attempts to explain to us how believing that the earth is the centre of the universe is still valid information.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom