Official Codex Discord Server

  1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

    "This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Completed [Play-by-Post] Magic World/BRP: "In Search of the Sorcerer"

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by nikolokolus, Oct 19, 2016.

  1. nikolokolus Arcane

    nikolokolus
    Joined:
    May 8, 2013
    Messages:
    3,626
    The elders look at one another and Taran speaks, "Drune Eogan would have been of some help to you, but he's long-gone. You're welcome to search his house." He describes the building in the northwest corner of the village.

    (ERYFKRAD not a cloak, a suit of steel scale mail armor)
     
    ^ Top  
  2. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

    ERYFKRAD
    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2012
    Messages:
    15,301
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Show Spoiler
    Typo dude. typo.
     
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. L'ennui Magister

    L'ennui
    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2009
    Messages:
    2,994
    Location:
    Québec, Amérique du Nord
    "I would be most anxious to see what this bowl can tell us about Syelle Ru's practice. I shall investigate. As for my message, I will find some other way to send it. Thank you. I shall return shortly." Urash bows and walks out of the hall, hurrying to Aphrodisias's hut.
     
    ^ Top  
  4. Siveon Bot Patron

    Siveon
    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2013
    Messages:
    4,068
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Marcán bows again before the elders. "Elders, would you know of a healer or a apothecary that I may look to tend to my wounds? Whilst holding the wolf it struck me a great many times, and I fear my journey hasn't ended just yet."
     
    ^ Top  
  5. nikolokolus Arcane

    nikolokolus
    Joined:
    May 8, 2013
    Messages:
    3,626
    Urash walks briskly to Ymae/Aphrodisias' hut and raps on the door. A voice tells you to come in.

    Taran answers Marcán, "If you can find Ymae she's likely to have some philter or poultice."
     
    ^ Top  
  6. Siveon Bot Patron

    Siveon
    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2013
    Messages:
    4,068
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    "Oh bother. I mean, yes, of course." Marcán bids the Elders farewell and walks to "Ymae's" hut.
     
    ^ Top  
  7. Llywelyn ap Gruffydd Learned

    Llywelyn ap Gruffydd
    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2015
    Messages:
    751
    Cormac heads off to Drune Eogan's house to search for inforormation.
     
    ^ Top  
  8. Grimgravy Augur Patron

    Grimgravy
    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2013
    Messages:
    3,153
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    "I would have knowledge from you as well, elders. Do you know the location of a great crater with a huge oak growing in the center? And do know anything of a green 'man' that lives thereabouts? Beyond that, I would like to learn more of your ways. If you could arrange for training, I would be most appreciative."
     
    ^ Top  
  9. nikolokolus Arcane

    nikolokolus
    Joined:
    May 8, 2013
    Messages:
    3,626
    Cormac enters the humble house and starts to poke around (roll a search check).

    Taran nods respectfully, "Certainly, I'm not sure what sort of training you require, but you're welcome to spar with the few warriors we have left. Now then a great crater with a huge oak?" His eyes narrow a bit and he seems to lick his lips nervously and subconsciously, "A dark place you speak of from a dark time." He motions you aside to speak in a low voice, "I don't know much except what the Drunes have passed down, but if the tree you speak of is the one I'm thinking of, be ware. the corrupt and black-hearted Woodwose Picts and their witches hold Coeden Du to be sacred. A place of human sacrifice to dark gods. Had the truth of the Tuatha de Dannan not been revealed to us by the Drunes, we too would still be under the dark spell that ensorcels the woodwose." He grimaces, "I implore you to forget I ever told you of the vile place. As for a green man, I don't know of such a person. What does he look like?"
     
    ^ Top  
  10. L'ennui Magister

    L'ennui
    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2009
    Messages:
    2,994
    Location:
    Québec, Amérique du Nord
    Urash pushes the door and steps inside the crone's hut.

    "Fair day to you, Aphrodisias. If I may add to your burdens, there is an item of interest to be investigated in Syelle Ru's chamber. Would you assist me there? Better safe than sorry, and two heads than one, or so the old sayings go.

    Afterwards, if there is time, it would be my honour to share our appraisals of the various artifacts that have recently made their way to me."


    Show Spoiler
    Were there still birds gathered around the hut? I seem to recall they flocked there.
     
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Grimgravy Augur Patron

    Grimgravy
    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2013
    Messages:
    3,153
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    Rhenmyr follows in Taran's example and responds in hushed tones. "I believe the 'crow' from the vision I mentioned showed me that place and the green man. But he wasn't a man exactly. He had skinny legs, and capered about oddly. He had a dangerous item that is being sought by an evil wizard. We are in these northern lands to retrieve that item before the wizard can find it. It seemed the visions were a boon for defeating the wolf, but I know not the temperament of the crow."
     
    ^ Top  
  12. nikolokolus Arcane

    nikolokolus
    Joined:
    May 8, 2013
    Messages:
    3,626
    Marcán makes for the hut and Aphrodisias lets you in. After explaining your predicatment, she nods solemnly and tells you to sit still. A nimbus of light envelops her hand:

    Aphrodisias heal spell for Marcán [2d4] = 5

    Aphrodisias smiles a tired smile, "Could you fetch it and bring it here? I seem to be quite popular this morning." She nods indicating Marcán who entered just after Urash. "Also, this can't be rushed. It could take me weeks just to discover the function of the orb you brought me. If you know 'Witch Sight' it would go a long way to helping me uncover these mysteries more quickly. If you don't know it then I can teach it to you, but that too will take time."
    ANSWER (open)
    There are still rooks perched on the hut and one inside that seems keenly intelligent.


    Taran speaks, "A crow in a dream or a vision? It could be The Morrigan spoke to you? She has been known to take that form when speaking in men's dreams. But this 'black pool' sounds vile, perhaps not a thing to be trusted?"
     
    ^ Top  
  13. Grimgravy Augur Patron

    Grimgravy
    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2013
    Messages:
    3,153
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    "What can you tell me of The Morrigan. Being in your land, I should learn more of your gods. The pool dissipated with the wolf's demise. I'm no mystic to make sense of it's passing. But it seems wise to be cautious where the gods are involved."
     
    ^ Top  
  14. L'ennui Magister

    L'ennui
    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2009
    Messages:
    2,994
    Location:
    Québec, Amérique du Nord
    "Yes, I see you are quite busy... I will go fetch the item in question. As for the rest... I should be most grateful if you would teach me this thing you call Witch Sight, and no doubt with it the work will proceed faster."

    Urash makes to leave, but notices the lone rook in a corner of the hut.

    "Hmm... Hello, friend."

    The Acadian stoops low and carefully, slowly approaches the bird.

    "I mean no harm, friend."

    Urash slowly reaches into a pouch and produces a small scrap of dried meat from a trail ration. Cupping it in his hands, he extends his arms and the treat towards the bird and waits to see if it comes toward him.
     
    ^ Top  
  15. nikolokolus Arcane

    nikolokolus
    Joined:
    May 8, 2013
    Messages:
    3,626
    Taran hems and haws for a moment and rubs at his chin, "Granted. I'm no Drune, but The Morrighan, is the triparte goddess Babh, Macha, and Nemain -- Fate, War and Death. She appears in many forms, but has always favored the crow. Her portents and omens are usually ill-granted and accompanied by sorrow. If she spoke to you in dreams then it's important to heed what she shew."

    "I'm happy to teach what I can; it's a simple enough incantation. Maybe you call it something different in Acadia?"

    Aphrodisias smiles as Urash speaks to the crow. Eventually the bird snatches the dried meat from his hands roughly and draws a bit of blood, but as if to make up for it the bird caws loudly and jump up on Urash's outstretched hand. The bird caws loudly again. "That's Ymae's rook. The old thing refused to leave when she passed . . . I think he likes you and he doesn't like anyone."
     
    ^ Top  
  16. Siveon Bot Patron

    Siveon
    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2013
    Messages:
    4,068
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Move back a scene or two and Marcán thanks Aphrodisias.

    ----

    Marcán chuckles at the crow. "Is that the bird you're looking for, Urash?"

    He digresses, and faces Aphrodisias, "Not to increase your pain, but I also had a more personal request to make. I'm not sure if it's as complicated at the orb, but I've been looking for my father, and my brother, who went missing a few weeks back. Since I'm here I didn't think I'd still get the chance to look for them but..." he digs out the old longsword strapped to his backpack, "...maybe you can? My father made this so it might have something of him on it. I'd be willing to repay you, help in any way I can, I'm no mage but I can also use a deal of magic myself."
     
    ^ Top  
  17. Llywelyn ap Gruffydd Learned

    Llywelyn ap Gruffydd
    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2015
    Messages:
    751
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. L'ennui Magister

    L'ennui
    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2009
    Messages:
    2,994
    Location:
    Québec, Amérique du Nord
    Distracted, Urash opines:

    "Yes... Perhaps a simple... translation problem. Witches do not get to name spells in Acadia, you see... Controlled trademarks, property of the Lugals... Masters of the Academy, and other great state-sanctioned sorcerors of our cities... Enki's Eye, might be it... or the Gaze of Al Razul? Hopefully not that one.., Hmm."

    Urash stops mumbling and winces slightly as the rook's beak snatches off bits of his skin, but remains in his low stoop and does not withdraw his hands. He is visibly delighted when the bird jumps onto them.

    "I think we will understand each other well, in truth." He says, either to the bird or in response to Aphrodisias.

    Bringing the rook close to his face, Urash gently whispers something in Acadian, fixing the bird's eyes with his own.

    Show Spoiler
    Casting Animal Friendship: [1d100] = 11 vs 89 Casting.
     
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. nikolokolus Arcane

    nikolokolus
    Joined:
    May 8, 2013
    Messages:
    3,626
    Brule helps Borric slip the coat on and stands back. It's a tiny bit big, but with a belt or a baldric it can easily be tightened into place. Brule stands back and nods approvingly. "Very good. Hopefully it serves you better than that brute I took it from." He laughs at his own gallows humor.
    (Stats for the armor: Absorbs 1d8+1/1d8(no helmet), moderate burden, 25%(helmet)/10%(no helmet) perception, manipulation, physical skill penalties. twice as durable as iron vs corrosive attacks, worth 3-4 times normal iron scale mail. I already added this to your sheet, so you have two suits of armor now).

    Cormac enters Eogan's house and notes the dust and partially collapsed roof that has leaked water everywhere. Eogan apparently left in quite a hurry, there is some unidentifiable rotted sludge in a bowl on a table. The bedroom reveals a disheveled sleeping pallet and a desk with two pieces of blank, wet parchment and a writing quill. A rack behind the desk for holding scrolls is empty which seems strange to you, but you're not sure why.

    After tending your wounds, Aphrodisias steps back and examines the cuts and bruises, "You'll heal just fine. Just get some rest for the next week or so and drink bitter-root tea." She takes the sword offered up to her, and nods, "I think I can do something with this." She sighs as she looks around the hut at the bits and bobs given to her for study and inspection, "I'm going to need some help. If you two wouldn't mind I'm going to need your help to hasten our projects."

    The crow squawks at Urash and cocks its head to the side. When the incantation finishes, the bird jumps from his hand to his shoulder, quite content to sit there.

    fast forward to retreiving the silver bowl

    When Urash shows the bowl to Aphrodisias her eyes widen when she touches the preternaturally cold font. "Oh? Now this is something! I know what this is straight away!" Excitedly, she rushes over and grabs a clay pitcher and brings it back, "Watch this!" She says with poorly disguised glee and pours clear spring water into the bowl. Immediately images swirl in the ripples and when it finally stops moving, it's as if you were looking into a window that was fixed a mile up in the air, it takes a few moments to get your bearings and realize that you are looking down at the village. "Now then, this is going to be very helpful. With the right components -- a belonging, a bit of hair, some nail clippings -- we can find anybody. The more personal the item -- hair is best -- the more detail we'll see and the longer the scrying should last: Oona's knot. That sword. Anything else you can think of should work, but I should warn you that we will only get one shot. If this is what I think it is, the magic of the bowl will destroy whatever is put inside it."
     
    ^ Top  
  20. Llywelyn ap Gruffydd Learned

    Llywelyn ap Gruffydd
    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2015
    Messages:
    751
    Cormac looks under the sleeping pallet, behind any furniture, under any floor coverings, behind any hanging objects on the wall, etc.
     
    ^ Top  
  21. Siveon Bot Patron

    Siveon
    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2013
    Messages:
    4,068
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Marcán returns Aphrodisias' excitement, "Should we get the others, maybe the elders as well? The more people there are, the more likely we can understand what the bowl will show us."
     
    ^ Top  
  22. nikolokolus Arcane

    nikolokolus
    Joined:
    May 8, 2013
    Messages:
    3,626
    No hidden compartments or objects are found, but as you look high and low for anything you notice the a lot of ash around the cook-fire in a clay stoves. tirring at the long dead fire reveals the charred, flakes of burned parchment.
     
    ^ Top  
  23. nikolokolus Arcane

    nikolokolus
    Joined:
    May 8, 2013
    Messages:
    3,626
    "Well the bowl won't show future or past, but what is." If we get very lucky we might deduce their surroundings. But by all means collect your folk. This is going to be a bit taxing and I might need your help anyway to empower the bowl."
     
    ^ Top  
  24. Llywelyn ap Gruffydd Learned

    Llywelyn ap Gruffydd
    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2015
    Messages:
    751
    Cormac, take up a look up the chimmney to see if there is anything up there besides spider webs and maybe a bird nest. If he finds something, he will attempt to retrieve it. If there is nothing he will return to the elders and give them news of what he found. He will also grab the two pieces of parchent and the quill pen and bring it with him.

    "Elders, I searched Drune Eogan's entire house. I found nothing, but I did find some interesting clues. I found all of his parchment is missing from the shelves. In further searching, I found evidence that all of his parchments were thrown into the fire and burned. I know not what those documents may have contained, but he or someone else felt it important to destroy it all. I did find a small piece with some writing on it, but I do not understand it."
     
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
    ^ Top  
  25. nikolokolus Arcane

    nikolokolus
    Joined:
    May 8, 2013
    Messages:
    3,626
    Cormac finds a half-burned piece of parchment lodged in the chimney and pulls it down. It's badly burned, but part of it is still legible. It's written in the secret Ogham script of Druids and Drunes and is indecipherable.
     
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)