Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Playing Elminage Original

Comte

In the original Wizardry games Bishops learned magic at a slower rate then clerics/mages. I am guessing they nerfed it to be closer to the originals.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
After playing both games to death I am happy to report I no longer wish Original was Gothic; they are both beautiful games!

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I just started this but read reviews saying the grinding is unbearable and people recommended a cheat to speed up xp. Is that a bad idea? Also there is a cheat for infinite maps. Should I do that if I don't wanna draw my own? Or just skip this game?

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
You certainly don't need xp cheats in either game. Actually in Original you outlevel content kinda fast.
Also, if we're speaking Original, there are no limits to maps there.

For Gothic, sure, I cheated maps, was to tedious playing inventory tetris also with them.. and making sure to keep a supply.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
anvi

It takes even less than 5 minutes to mod E: Gothic. You literally download a .txt file and place it in the executable's folder.

Infinite magic maps: http://www.mediafire.com/download/cfmnf925ukya8he/elminage_unlimitedmap.zip (download and place inside executable's folder and that's that)

2x XP from enemies: http://www.mediafire.com/download/4hzhaabaf52aazu/Monster_XP_Fix.zip (download and place inside executable's folder and that's that).

If u want more XP from enemies than the 2x-rates in the mod file, simply open the file in a word processor and change the numbers.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Thanks I'll give it a try, but I bumped it down my list to number 3 so it will have to wait a week or two.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I believe there's no such thing as grinding if you enjoy the combat.

Spoiler: I enjoy the combat in Elminage.

Hyperion

Arcane
I bought this at the end of the Steam Sale because I was playing Tale of the Forsaken Land, and it rose to the top of my favorite Crawler list, as well as probably all around RPG list. It was that damn good from start to finish. Was excited to get started on this because of the wide array of classes, and races.

...And then the gameplay happened. Everything about this game is at least 4 or 5 steps backwards from TOFL. I stopped after the Jewel Ring, because I just couldn't take anymore. Dungeon design was awful - everything was either a door leading to a 1x1 or 2x2 room with nothing in it, or another door leading to another bland room. Pitch Black room was absolute shit. No fights, no knowing what you can do. Just take a step until you hit something, then press A and hope it's a door. Pits were just...forced damage, since it didn't seem like there was a way to see or anticipate them. The rest of the area was just, "walk on squares 'till your Thief senses a Hidden Door,"

Combat was Hold A until the victory screen appeared. I had to up message speed because it wasn't fast enough to get through the countless confirmation spam - the sleeping statue of a Jewish child gave me 3 Sleep confirmations per turn. The first boss was no better than the rest of the fights - my Alchemist cast Rood, paralyzed him, then Hold A until he's toast. My thief was my worst character - worst damage, life, defense, but good speed. All so I could open chests and see hidden shit. TOFL added the button prompts that made it so you can play the whole game without a Thief without feeling hamstrung. Made it feel like I had an actual 6-man party, not 5 + 1 dude dragging my party down. Except it's really 4 + 2 because you also need an Alchemist or else you can't craft or access storage. Class balance felt terrible - Valkyrie with a Lance was just so much stronger than my Fighters, plus she could passively kill Ghosts, back up heal, and even be primary tank if I gave her a shield instead of the 2h spear. Aforementioned Thief, and Alchemist didn't feel too useful, though from what I read Alchemist spells get real good. Cleric is, of course, a musthave for the support. Didn't even bother with a Mage, because I never use spells until a boss because I know that's when I'll need them in a Vancian system.

Elminage: Original just feels completely soulless in all regards when compared to TOFL. Even the story in the ps2 Wizardry was pretty compelling, if somewhat predictable. Every side quest you do ties in wonderfully to the main quest, save maybe Helga's stupid bullshit, every story character has different things to say, gives you a reason to play it again with a different setup, though Hina is bestgirl and should be in every party. Magic stone formation keeps every spell you get powerful for the entire duration of the game. It just did so many things right, and corrected so many problems bogging down other blobbers that I can't understand why it didn't instantly become the gold standard in DRPG.

ebPD8PePfC

Savant
Here's the design for almost all of original's maps:

iOi4Wqe.jpg

The secret is to ignore doors until you get to the last one in the corridor, and that's the right doors. Ignore every other door. Do not explore, there's no point. The only dungeon I enjoyed was the swamp with the teleports.

You're right about most things, but some of it is off. Rood and Rarood are spells you get at level one and two respectively, and are very strong throughout the game. Mahama is also essential for safety. He's never as weak as the thief, which is really fucking useless except for finding hidden doors. The messages are too slow, but Original can and should be emulated with ppsspp. Tab speeds it to 4x or something like that.
Valkyrie might seem stronger than the fighter, but the fighter compensates with access to equipment, and he also levels up faster, so she's not strictly better imo. I would say that mage is essential because he clears group of enemies fast, and he has early access to teleport, but I'm not an expert so maybe there are better options.

Don't know how far you got, but now's the time to play Elminage Gothic. The dungeon design is miles better, with variations that extend far beyond Original's open spaces with doors you should ignore. Each dungeon has some logical theme that dictates its structure, and you never feel like you're hanging around in a door factory. The only thing better in Original is the tutorial, but once you're past the first dungeon you're better off playing Gothic. The first dungeon in Gothic doesn't explain anything and is quite a bore... but past that the game picks up speed and combat gets challenging and deadly. Since you're already familiar with the basic systems you should use a walkthrough to blaze through the first dungeon and play the superior game.

Seriously, play Gothic. 35 hours in and it only gets better.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Yes. E: Gothic is leaps and bounds ahead of E: Original in almost every way, dungeon design chief among them.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I can't remember if i ever came back to this thread to say it but I love Elminage: Original now.

I really should stop making knee-jerk reaction threads, it's really embarrassing. Elminage: Original is an amazing game, just a different flavor to Elminage: Gothic. I'm tempted to delete this thread simply because I don't want it to dissuade anyone from trying the game.

Yes, it is an easier game, the balancing is not as elegant as in Gothic, but Elminage: Original is still fantastic and offers a more adventurous and charming campaign that plays on more conventional fantasy pastiche than the more grim and gritty tone offered in Gothic; and if you even remotely enjoy Wizardry you owe it to yourself to play it.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Hahaha it is funny how much your opinion flip flops about this game in this thread over the years.
After a long night of shoutboxing I have installed Might and Magic III and Wizardry VI, so that should keep my occupied for a while.
But I plan to get Original aswell eventually. Is it better to map this one aswell like Gothic, or is the in game mapping usable in this one?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
E: Original has an optional mini-map function that you can enable through crafting an item, but I never bothered to use it since you still map the dungeon normally as you uncover it and it is available to view an unlimited amount of times in the main map window.

Magic Maps are a more hard-core thing that only appear in the Wizardry Empire and Elminage: Gothic games, and even in Elminage: Gothic you can already get a magic item for casting essentially infinite map uses by the 3rd dungeon so it's not that big of a deal.

In all honesty, even if mapping was limited in E: Original... the dungeons really aren't that complicated. There are a few in the game that will test you like the White Palace and maybe the Underwater dungeon (mostly because of the time limit imposed by the oxygen supply), but that's about it.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I can't remember if i ever came back to this thread to say it but I love Elminage: Original now.

I really should stop making knee-jerk reaction threads, it's really embarrassing. Elminage: Original is an amazing game, just a different flavor to Elminage: Gothic. I'm tempted to delete this thread simply because I don't want it to dissuade anyone from trying the game.

Yes, it is an easier game, the balancing is not as elegant as in Gothic, but Elminage: Original is still fantastic and offers a more adventurous and charming campaign that plays on more conventional fantasy pastiche than the more grim and gritty tone offered in Gothic; and if you even remotely enjoy Wizardry you owe it to yourself to play it.

Having just finished Operencia I am jonesing for more blobbers that I haven't played, so I found this thread.

Elminage Gothic is literally $1.99 on Steam right now. Two fucking dollars! Original is $6.99.

I'm obviously getting both. Which should I play first?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Having just finished Operencia I am jonesing for more blobbers that I haven't played, so I found this thread.

Elminage Gothic is literally $1.99 on Steam right now. Two fucking dollars! Original is $6.99.

I'm obviously getting both. Which should I play first?

Can't go wrong with either. Original if you're feeling like you want something more high-fantasy, and Gothic if you want something more hard-core and grittier; Gothic is also the later game so its mechanics are more polished (and has more mechanics).

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Original is more... well... familiar. The areas in Original are fairly typical fare for blobbers and somewhat resemble actual locations.

Gothic is more... abstract. Dungeons are mazes, often with little sense other then the idea of the map creator. Also next to no NPCs or story, quests are very much bulletin board type.
On the upside, there is much more variety and creativity in enemy stats and tactics - and way more challenge.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Hahaha it is funny how much your opinion flip flops about this game in this thread over the years.
After a long night of shoutboxing I have installed Might and Magic III and Wizardry VI, so that should keep my occupied for a while.
But I plan to get Original aswell eventually. Is it better to map this one aswell like Gothic, or is the in game mapping usable in this one?

Back in 2015-2016 I was going through a severe bipolar mania, a hypo-manic state that lasted several months. I made many incredibly embarassing posts that I regret. On the upside, at least this time I can say that embarassing forum posts were the only consequence ^_^.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom