Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Playing on low(est) settings

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I'm replaying Dragon Age 2 right now and I have to play it in DX9 mode on "medium" because DX11 is bugged to shit on nVidia cards and always was. You can play at 5k and 144fps though, and it looks quite "smooth" despite lacking better lighting, shadows and such. I usually care about crisp and clean visuals over anything else.

Semiurge

Cipher
Quake III Arena, Alice, AvP 2, Giants: Citizen Kabuto and Red Faction in potato mode. They really pushed the Pentium II 333MHz/Voodoo 3 3000 to the limits. Glide-optimized games like Half-Life, Deus Ex and Unreal/UT ran smoothly though as you'd expect, and increasing RAM to 192 Mb decreased loading times considerably.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Quake III Arena, Alice, AvP 2, Giants: Citizen Kabuto and Red Faction in potato mode. They really pushed the Pentium II 333MHz/Voodoo 3 3000 to the limits.
Giants: Citizen Kabute either had some sort of a memorly leak or something broke with my computer, because I remember it becoming nearly unplayable towards the end. At first I was able to run it with decent graphics settings and it ran well, but by the time I was finished with the base-building levels I had had to lower the settings to "Lego blocks from Hell". The framerate still sucked, and I think I had something like a 900 MHz processor and Geforce 2 MX.

http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Fallout/Technical_manual

Some people have reported success with running Fallout on a 486 class processor. You might need a fast video card or more memory to run it on the lower CPU class. If you do plan to run it on a 486, make sure it is either an Intel 80486/DX or AMD Am486-DX processor; the minimum recommended speed is 66 MHz.

I was toying with PCEM emulator, dunno if Fallout 1 demo has lower requirements than full version but I managed to run it on... 386DX 40 Mhz! It's choppy but definitely playable (I used insane amount of RAM to ensure that CPU is the only bottleneck - 64 MB).

Hagashager

Educated
1. Yes, in college my only computer was a Microsoft Surface Pro 2, I loved that machine but being pc/tablet hybrid there was no GPU so any game post 2003 was run at lowest settings if at all.

Most of what I played were 90s cRPGs but for a hot minute I tolerated Overwatch at 18fps.
That was at the very end of the Pro's lifespan though and I had graduated quite a while ago.

2: I've never considered lowest settings better, but some settings, like bloom and blur can fuck off. Turning that stuff down often made a game playable both performance and visual wise.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I first played Ultima Underworld on a 386 <shudder>.
I remember trying to play Ultima 7 on my 386 and it was completely unplayable. UU must have been... interesting.
The consensus seems to be that Ultima VII was even more demanding on system resources than Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss, despite the latter being 3D.

Not that I would know personally, since I was still playing games on a Commodore Amiga at the time. +M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom