Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

"PLUGH" : Coming 1st Quarter 2018

What Do You Think Of a 3D Zork/Colossal Caves style Game?

• Awesome Idea With Right Execution

Votes: 49 39.2%
  • Meh

Votes: 16 12.8%
  • Still waiting on Grimoire

Votes: 35 28.0%
  • Needs more bloom

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • Reading is teh hard

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Hurr Durr will pirate it

Votes: 14 11.2%

• Total voters

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
I went off on a wild tangent back in 2011 and worked on this game for approximately 3 weeks.

Realized I was supposed to be working on Grimoire so I shelved it.

Just found the prototype yesterday sitting on a My Passport flash drive and reimported it into Unity and recompiled it.

OMG. This game is awesome. I did not remember how far along I got with it.

You would not believe how little effort was put into this. It was like a vacation away from Grimoire and it was just something I was tinkering with. I did not realise at the time that I was onto something. It was just another terrain with some asset drops and a bit of rearranging of stuff, a building with an interior then some caves.

Basically, I was creating something similar to the start of ZORK/Colossal Caves/Adventure. With waterfall, white farm house, mailbox.

Then I added a "Y2" rock. Thought it looked good.

Speaking for myself, I was truly enjoying it. They had not invented the genre "Walking Simulator" back then. All I knew was that it was nice, relaxing, eerie, exploration. I would go to the end of the cliff and look at the waterfall, then check the mailbox.

I had just put a trapdoor in the farmhouse and was playing with the ladder code (now long obsolete because of an asset I own from Unity Store, excellent FPS controller) to go down into some crude caverns. These caverns were crap, I now own some beautiful ones from the Unity Store, they are really good looking caves.

I bet four weeks and I would have one hell of a game here. I will work on it after I have Grimoire V2 up on Steam. If you like relaxing exploration games in creepy environments and weird places, some puzzle solving and story progression (no combat at present, might be easy to add a bit) you would like this game.

Yes, the hashish smoking Cyclops would be present in the game. Of course.

EDIT : Did not have one at the time but a radial menu would really suit this kind of game that pops up when you click stuff. I have a terrific one I could use now.

Last edited:

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
You would not believe how little effort was put into this
:hmmm:
Sorry Cleve, just joshing.

I was playing this prototype today and thinking ...

Grimoire ... 20 YEARS of work, turned into living hell making me pray for death
Plugh ... About 22 hours of work, most fun I have ever had, totally stress free, gave me reason to live

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
PLUGH? More like UGH am I rite fellas?

No but seriously good for you
UGH! was AWESOME.
Ugh_1.png

Parsifarka

Arcane
Why Unity? It's the sappest of the sap, you can code a better engine in two days blindfolded with a single hand and ten liters of coffee. Will you build incline upon decline?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom