Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Eternity PoE II: Deadfire Sales Analysis Thread

Discussion in 'Obsidian Entertainment' started by Roguey, May 13, 2018.

1. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    I figured the megathread could do without this topic interrupting all the nuanced discussions of the writing, mechanics, and homosexuality.

A week after release and Steamspy is estimating sales are in the 100-200k range. The first one had estimated sales of 200-260k after the same amount of time.

The Sunday after release is pretty much always when you'll see the most players. Deadfire's is 22,723 (reflected at https://store.steampowered.com/stats/ though not recorded at Steam Charts yet). PoE's was 41,787. Shadowrun Returns beats it with 24,242 and even ELEX barely maintains its German supremacy with 22,871. However, it's not a total flop. Obviously it's doing better than Tides of Numenera and Tyranny, but it also beats Wasteland 2's record of 18,576 and Divinity: Original Sin's record of 21,953 and both of those were pretty successful. Howeverrr they didn't significantly inflate their budgets with full voice acting right out of the gate (though both did eventually, with terrible results :)), awesomer graphics (though D:OS is no slouch in this area and Wasteland 2 certainly put in a lot of work to improve them with the director's cut), or use deliberately dumbed-down/streamlined mechanics in a foolish attempt to win over a wider audience. And of course no one is thrilled when a sequel, particularly the first Black Isle/Obsidian sequel not constrained by a slamdunk schedule or budget, doesn't outperform or even match its predecessor.

I suppose Sawyer's now been stripped of his "hitmaker" title, so he won't be getting his turn-based historical RPG. He might have seen the writing on the wall, hence the "I'm burned out and won't be directing projects for a while" and "full voice acting was the owners' idea, I had nothing to do with it" statements from a while back. I imagine Avellone is pleased that the owners are getting burned, though I'm reasonably confident that his week of forum posts probably only cost them dozens/hundreds/possibly thousands of sales, whereas the gap between what they wanted and what they got is in the hundreds of thousands. Now Obsidian's stuck doing what Bioware did after Dragon Age II and what McComb did after Tides of Numenera: say "Yeah, well the CRITICS love it."
    [​IMG]

• Funny x 17
    • Brofist x 9
    • Informative x 8
    • incline x 2
    • (autism) x 2
    • Participation Award x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • M'lady x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. TheSentinel Magister

TheSentinel
    Parrots:
    I never believed he would get it either way. Especially after recent revelations by MCA, I believe Feargus only said "yeah sure" to shut him up and keep him motivated. I don't think Feargus ever had a lot of interest in the isometric cRPG wave, he just used it to save the company.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Funny Funny x 6
    • Yes Yes x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Jokzore Savant

Jokzore
    Parrots:
    How could anyone expect big launch numbers from a sequel to a game that was mediocre at best. Couple that with them already announcing 3xDLC in the near future.

Why the fuck should anyone buy this right now? It's not a hotly anticipated title.

I bet there's a lot of people out there (me included) waiting for the Ultimate-GoTY-Director Cut Edition-- Or as I like to call it The Completed Game Edition.

• Agree Agree x 13
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  4. Pretty Erudite Patron

Pretty
    Parrots:
    I already bought all the DLC's for this one, so it's better be good!

• Funny x 12
    • Despair x 2
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Gaius maximus Scholar

Gaius maximus
    Parrots:
    it flipped get over it.

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 3
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Lahey Laheyist Patron

Lahey
    Parrots:
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    • critics love it
    • muh marketing
    • poor release window
    • plebs can't into incline
    • sales are inverse to True Quality™
    • people are waiting for complete edition
    • its got legs
    • muh MCA
    • sales don't matter
    Am I missing any?

• Funny x 13
    • it is a mystery x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Rage x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Big Wrangle Scholar

Big Wrangle
    Parrots:
    From what I recall only a small percentage of PoE owners bothered with completing White March in the first place, so these DLCs won't really do shit until a Complete Edition is out. If this is an actual flop, that "The Outer Worlds" game is the last card for Obsidian. But honestly, they'll break even if I'm to guess.
    Until the company comments further, I don't think there is much to say.

^ Top  
  8. Blakemoreland Hybrid Boss Magister Patron

Blakemoreland Hybrid Boss
    Parrots:
    That's a good point. I was reading this piece to have an idea of how much is needed to break even. Not much.

Now you need to consider how much PoE2 cost. Probably less than D:OS. They are probably breaking even already.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. FreeKaner Prophet of the Dumpsterfire

FreeKaner
    Parrots:
    It was all obvious.

^ Top  
  10. Riddler Augur Patron

Riddler
    Parrots:
    Bubbles In Memoria
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. TheSentinel Magister

TheSentinel
    Parrots:
    hmm? the Fig budget alone (5m) is already more than DOS1's budget. Keep in mind that they were already in development since 2015, and went over the fig budget.

• Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  12. Blakemoreland Hybrid Boss Magister Patron

Blakemoreland Hybrid Boss
    Parrots:
    Larian's budget was 4m euros, not dollars. You are also forgetting that Obsidian had a publisher helping them.

^ Top  
  13. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    Parrots:
    D:OS also used some creative accounting with regard to its budget since a lot of the cost that went into making its engine went over to Dragon Commander, which was sacrificed with an early release to make D:OS better. :M

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Morkar illiterate

Morkar
    Parrots:
    Yeah, exactly. I guess the game will sell over time. But it doesn't seem to be a hit.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Kit Walker Totally Not Captain Shrek

Kit Walker
    Parrots:

I had decided to stay out of the discussion in general, but these are quite valid points. Except, I don't think there is a reason to give out on PoE2 so fast. It most definitely won't be a flop. Its real problem is its mediocrity. Despite what the "critics" are saying and "consensus" on the codex, it's not that great a game. It is a perfectly passable, valid game, just like PoE, and an improvement on that. Still, it has managed to retain its tiredness. It is a ship trying to sail on the winds of BG nostalgia, and that can take it only thus far. What are its own merits? Very little. The setting is quite banal, the mechanics are a variation on D&D stuff and the writing Bioware-lite. It does nothing that it can proudly say is its own thing. And, that I think is going to kill it in the long run. It will end up being another big RPG that few manage to finish, just like PoE. It will sell alright, but diminishing the brand at every iteration.

You seem to think that given a chance, Sawyer will make a great TB RPG. I have my doubts. But yeah, if this ship sinks, he sinks with it.

• Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Jokzore Savant

Jokzore
    Parrots:
    Who's brilliant idea was it to stick the expansion in middle of the vanilla game? That's the sole reason I refused to play it. I've never been so bored by a video game (little did i know how Numanuma would turn out), yet they expect me to play through half of it AGAIN just so I can potentially, maybe experience some incline? No thx Obsidian, you don't have enough goodwill to convince me of that.

• Agree x 11
    • Brofist x 4
    • Yes x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • Bad Spelling x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. aweigh Arcane

aweigh
    Parrots:
    I'm guessing it'll be do well enough that it allows the company to continue making RPGs, probably even isometric RPGs, however it won't sell enough to make PoE 3 viable.

This is probably the last time we'll ever get to romance godlike cloacas.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Bonerbill Learned

Bonerbill
    Parrots:
    The numbers are actually better than I expected; I thought it was going to do worse. I guess it will do well enough overtime, but it looks like the next Pillars game will probably be a different style of RPG all together.

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Morkar illiterate

Morkar
    Parrots:
    You could just load an older safe and play from there?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. KateMicucci Educated

KateMicucci
    Parrots:
    Thank God.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Pretty Erudite Patron

Pretty
    Parrots:
    Underrail does exactly that.

• incline incline x 4
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Kit Walker Totally Not Captain Shrek

Kit Walker
    Parrots:

Good point. But Underrail is fun. So no one actually minds playing it again. PoE, I could not do that once.

• Agree x 3
    • Brofist x 2
    • Yes x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Pretty Erudite Patron

Pretty
    Parrots:

Do you think Black Geyser is going to be a better game, or it just falls into the same pitfall as POE (being mediocre BG clone)?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. KyivAfter12am Savant

KyivAfter12am
    Parrots:
    You only get one chance to bank on middle aged people's nostalgia for their school/college days. PoE1 had to be groundbreaking to reignite the Baldur's Gate-like genre and secure success for its sequel, and for better or worse it wasn't. It is pretty common knowledge that the sales of a sequel are defined not by its own quality, but by the previous game's success. In case of PoE1 the "previous games" were the masterpieces: Baldur's Gate 2 and Torment. PoE2 had a much tougher job.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Big Wrangle Scholar

Big Wrangle
    Parrots:
    Another factor for the small White March percentage was also the fact that the first part received actual mixed reviews from critics. Meaning that those who read the reviews wouldn't bother diving in, and those who got burned by Part I jumped ship.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)