Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Eternity PoE II: Deadfire Sales Analysis Thread

Discussion in 'Obsidian Entertainment' started by Roguey, May 13, 2018.

1. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    60 bucks plus 20 buck season pass. Even if they sell around same amount as Pillars they will get decent money.
    And that does not give as any idea about console sales (PoE1 was released on consoles) and undobtly PoE2 will also be released on them.

^ Top  
  2. TheSentinel Arcane

TheSentinel
    is it 60 bucks in the US?
    it's 45€

^ Top  
  3. Elex Scholar

Elex
    umm tiepid twitch presence?

^ Top  
  4. Shadenuat Arcane

Shadenuat
    I wonder if I'm the only person who would instantly get turned away from the game by such a blatantly arrogant, crude and sellout marketing like this picture above. It's just so terrible in every way. It's also dumb because even casual youtube "critics" made all gamers wary of ratings by the press and 9/10's.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Elex Scholar

Elex
    just check steam achivement, i think is around 10%

^ Top  
  6. Blakemoreland Hybrid Boss Magister Patron

Blakemoreland Hybrid Boss
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    That's reasonable, but steam still induces players to consumerism. People buy more games than they have time to play because they are moved by an impulse in the heat of the moment. So you can expect games selling more and more overtime. Obviously there is a limit, but is nowhere near the limited to the numbers of the Kickstarter craze. It's a bizarre idea to suggest that studios can live out of players' impulses on steam, but is plausible.

^ Top  
  7. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Now where have I seen this before?

[​IMG]

• Funny x 9
    • nice x 1
    • Rage x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Comparing my game's number with SteamSpy....hey, whatdoyouknow, SteamSpy numbers doesn't mean shit anymore!

• rolleyes rolleyes x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Serpent in the Staglands Torment: Tides of Numenera
    I agree - if anything, universally high scores tell me the game is well polished but possibly casualshit. But sadly people are retards. Even many Codexers will happily slag off reviewers when they don't agree with their content, but then obsessively check IGN and all the other retardomags to seek validation for their views. Same thing with using sales figures to prove a game is great/shit, as if the masses who buy Call of Duty are relevant to judgments of quality.

I wonder how much of this is the Vince rule of 'sequels always do a lot worse'. You can imagine a huge amount of people that went batshit crazy when POE1 was first announced, as the first (and possibly last) comeback of a kind of game they long believed was dead forever. Now, people aren't paying for that, they are paying for just another old school-ish RPG amongst a pretty wide range of competition. I think the runaway success of DOS1, and the pretty high sales of POE1 (which I thought was far beyond what the game's niche and ultimate quality merited), might have raised expectations.

Here's hoping all the voice acting and console ports don't end up leaving a big hole in the accounts? I still don't know if Deadfire is good, not far enough into it, but I would mourn the death of any studio that actually tries to make RPG games (even inxile, who I am not excited by at all at the moment, for exmaple).

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. ilitarist Learned Illiterate Village Idiot

ilitarist
    I sure hope it didn't sell well. I'll be permitted to like it then!

Last edited: May 14, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 8
    ^ Top  
  11. Bocian Arcane

Bocian

• Funny Funny x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Bonerbill Savant

Bonerbill
    Yep. No point in relying on steamspy because it's highly inaccurate at the moment.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Blakemoreland Hybrid Boss Magister Patron

So the kickstarter craze and impulse buyers boosted sales of the first game, but now the craze ended.

The sequels curse meant that people who didn’t like the first game did not buy the second.

They can still sell a lot of units overtime with impulse buyers, but this is not important if you have big payroll and operating costs.

If Avellone’s testimony is to be believed, the owners are not reinvesting their profits in development expenses and payroll, which means that they will need another publisher to keep things going.

The numbers indicate that they are close to break even. I think that they already made some profit given the avg price, but I don’t know how was their agreement with the publisher.

It's the second time I heard this. Care to post a link? Thanks.

Last edited: May 13, 2018
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Blakemoreland Hybrid Boss Magister Patron

LOL at these tags, Roguey. Avellone's revenge. Pillars of Eternity: Dead. Sawyer's gone senile. Schadenfreude. :lol::lol::lol:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. Jokzore Savant

Jokzore
    https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018...ting-down-blames-valves-new-privacy-settings/
    https://www.slashgear.com/steam-spy-may-die-as-valve-rolls-out-new-privacy-policy-11527100/

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Blakemoreland Hybrid Boss Magister Patron

Ok, thanks Roguey and Jokzore. So all this discussion is for nothing.

^ Top  
  18. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    ^ Top  
  19. Jenkem Cipher Patron

Jenkem
    Make the Codex Great Again!
    because they lied about the product and said there would be sea shanties and there are clearly not so obsidian can burn for all I care fuck feargus hope he crashes his car into josh sawyer's bike

• Funny Funny x 6
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Blakemoreland Hybrid Boss Magister Patron

^ Top  
  21. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    Valve's Steam weekly top seller list based on revenues (not counting microtransactions).

There are two PoE 2 entries, one is pre-release sales and the other is post-release one. There's no way of knowing which is which.

#10 - Far Cry 5
    #9 - Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire
    #8 - Total War Saga: Thrones of Britannia
    #7 - Stardew Valley
    #6 - The Forest
    #5 - Frostpunk
    #4 - Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire
    #3 - Conan Exiles
    #2 - Grand Theft Auto V
    #1 - PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS

One thing to watch: how long and high PoE 2 will remain in the chart next weeks.

For comparison:
    Battletech - #3/#6 -> #6 -> out
    Frostpunk - #2 -> #3 -> #5

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Sigourn Arcane

Sigourn
    Hear hear, Obsidian. The steps towards making a successful RPG:

- Have an interesting, memorable setting.
    - Have good, mature writing. No retarded *makes fart noises in your ear*, no playersexual companions.
    - No romances, for that matter.
    - Turn-based combat.
    - Highly polished game, from beginning to end. None of this "night sky from the very beginning of the game looks low res and blurry". I seriously cringed when I saw that: it's literally THE first thing the player sees once he presses New Game.
    - Don't make it a direct sequel to a mediocre, forgettable RPG.

This again proves that an isometric, turn-based Falliout: New Vegas would have been the RPG to end all RPGs. :obviously:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Until I get confirmation from some developers that the SteamSpy data is at least somewhat accurate, I wouldn't trust in that Sergey dude from SteamSpy. Pillars of Eternity 1: between 1 and 2 million? Wow, that is one accurate service. Skyrim: between 10 and 20 million. Wow, even better. GTA5: again, 10-20million. Hey, I don't need SteamSpy for this, I can come up with data myself. Let's see, I say that pillars 2 is somewhere between 0 and 1 million. It is not inaccurate for small titles, it is also inaccurate for big titles.

• Agree x 5
    • retadred x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • nice x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Morality Games Arcane Patron

Morality Games
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    :hmmm:

Aside from the fact that Pillars of Eternity II is going to keep selling for years and eventually ship over a million on Steam alone (I was handily correct about that when everyone said I was wrong with PoE1), there is zero expectation early sales would be as strong as during the Kickstarter fever (which rode the anger of the Mass Effect 3 ending) and any suggestion that it should or was expected to be isn't credible analysis.

I have no idea why everyone has collectively chosen to lose all sense of reason and perspective. This is a genre that died because it has long lifetime sales instead of Day 1 sales.

If you pledge on Patreon. You get more accurate (or at least, refined) data.

It reads 111,000.

• Informative x 4
    • Funny x 2
    • Thanks! x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • [citation needed] x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    Given that this happened to D:OS, this is certainly probable. However, greedy Feargus Urquhart wants to grow. Selling another million over time is stagnation, now it's 2 million or bust.

You don't spend a ton of money on full voice acting and dumb down your sequel for casuals without wanting a wider audience than the one you already have. Absurdian's great mistake was not realizing that this is the ceiling. They could have had partial VA and made the strategic elements even more hardcore (or the same) and probably sell a comparable amount.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)