Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Eternity PoE II: Deadfire Sales Analysis Thread

Discussion in 'Obsidian Entertainment' started by Roguey, May 13, 2018.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Thanks for this. Can you give us readouts on BattleTech and Frostpunk also?

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Kit Walker Totally Not Captain Shrek

Kit Walker
    I think your feeling that the sale are affected by the dumb down are skewed by your bias.

I don't really believe anyone cares about mechanics in such kind of a game. That only is a factor on a place like codex, and thus a minority complaint. I would rather bet that the real reason is that the setting and storytelling are not as good.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    If it didn't, Bethesda and Bioware wouldn't have been trying so hard to do it all these years.

The details of a setting don't make much difference either. As for storytelling, well that depends on what your definition of good is. A couple of a million people love Bioware storytelling.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Nekot-The-Brave Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Nekot-The-Brave
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I agree with him, Underrail is actually fun and is worth playing over a few times. While, I don't feel that PoE deserved that.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Glaucon Savant

Glaucon
    all negativity is coming from a vocal minority

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    Looking at how extremely low PoE1's achievement %s are - only 43% finished Act 1 - it probably suffers from the same issue as Legend of Grimrock: a lot of people bought it blindly due to the hype but found out that they don't like IE-style games.

Or they don't like Obsidian's take on it, at least.

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Trashos Arcane

Trashos
    As far as I understand, the story is Gods+Politics+Pirates (and I am not even counting companion quests, which seem to have impressed noone). It sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Personally, I find the start so infuriatingly bad that I can't even bring myself to watch a Let's Play. But I should at some point.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Jenkem Cipher Patron

Jenkem
    Make the Codex Great Again!
    or they tried playing it, ran into numerous bugs and missing features and decided to uninstall and never look back.

^ Top  
  9. imweasel Guest

imweasel
    PoE 2 just dropped off of the top 10 list on Steam in Eurocuckistan - on its first fucking weekend. [​IMG]

I've been giving out warnings since 2013 that Sawyerism might fail. Some of the design is even atrocious enough to make Gary Gygax rotate in his grave.

:nofunallowed:

• Funny x 8
    • incline x 2
    • Shit x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Morality Games Arcane Patron

Morality Games
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Frostpunk sold 480,000.

Battletech about 410,000.

• Informative x 6
    • Despair x 3
    • decline x 2
    • Thanks! x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. aweigh Arcane

aweigh
    You sure about that cowpoke? I'm fairly sure "all gamers" are the ones who most pay attention to high scoring and youtube critics and take their cues from these sources. Just go to any normie game forum, or go to any normie game channel (twitch or youtube), and the vast majority of the comments will be fighting about consoles and defending their favorite franchise by using parameters such as review scores and units sold.

• [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. 2house2fly Erudite

2house2fly
    This is all news to Bioware

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. aweigh Arcane

aweigh
    PoE2 wasn't really "dumbed down" though, Roguey. Honestly anyone who claims it was is just edge-lording with a bit of try-harding. The VO thing tracks, though.

EDIT: Or did you mean DOS2?

^ Top  
  14. Major_Blackhart Codexia Lord Sodom Patron

Major_Blackhart
    So PoE II will be a slow burn? I never really foresaw this game as an overnight hit really. They've basically worn out that 'Hey we're aping Baldur's Gate' nostalgia with the first one. Game has to succeed now on the merits of the first, which people remember more than BG.

No idea how that will play out TBH. I mean, truth be told, I've never believed for a moment that Sawyer would get his game made at Obsidian. And now that Tim Cain and Leon Boyarski are back, it's even less likely because these two are practically golden children in the community.

So here's a thing: if this thing fails to live up to internal expectations, which is AAA sales as evidenced by Upper Mgmt doing full voice work AND dumbing down the game for a broader audience (the latter of which has time and again proven to lead to shit as you neither appealing to the masses nor your fanbase and succeed instead in alienating both with stale tapwater), what happens to Sawyer? Does he leave and go somewhere else? How much freedom did he have to fuck with this game?

^ Top  
  15. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    The removal of strategic elements like health and vancian casting is dumbing down, as is the move from six-member parties to five. Additionally, it appears to be a consensus that PoE 2 is significantly easier than PoE across the board (though admittedly I haven't seen anyone clarify if they mean 1.0 or 3.0).

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. aweigh Arcane

aweigh
    Funny, when I bring those things up concerning Wizardry people say those mechanics are "outdated", and their removal in Bradley games were incline.

Ain't life strange.

• Salute Salute x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Major_Blackhart Codexia Lord Sodom Patron

Major_Blackhart
    What are the odds that if things don't go well and the environment gets toxic at Obsidian, will Sawyer pull an Avellone and strike out on his own? I don't know if he really has the cred for it like Avellone, or Cain or Boyarski really.

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    It appears as though there's multiple camps here. Some people would rather have purely tactical combat because they find the illusion of strategic gameplay annoying, and then there's those who just outright hate strategic gameplay and don't want it in their RPGs at all.

^ Top  
  19. Sacred82 Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Sacred82
    anticipatory obedience doesn't mean there would be consequences if you didn't give in to it.

People will and can only buy what's available. What draws crowds when it comes to video games is muh graphix, people will generally be interested if you show them some pretty pictures. Escalating complexity will scare people away, but there's a threshold that you don't need to cross to sell your game even to more casual gamers. Dumbing things down even further because of a limited number of complaints that register with you may not be a solid strategy in the long run.

'Easy to grasp = good' (when it comes to sales) doesn't mean 'more easy = more gooder'.

^ Top  
  20. IHaveHugeNick Arcane

IHaveHugeNick
    Sharp drop in sales after the first game was expected, especially after Torment bombed, and anyone who predicted otherwise is off his tits.

Like Felipepe already mentioned, PoE1 only seemed well received, but the completion rates tell a very different story. The reality is that of all the Kickstarter games, only Divinity managed to build a true, dedicated audience, while most of the buyers of other games were riding on the "fuck the publishers" bandwagon and didn't actually bother to play what they bought..

It's certainly an irony that a much better game is struggling to move units, while a half-assed attempt like PoE 1.0 sits at a million copies. But it's only natural that the market had to correct until isometric RPGs find what their real audience is.

Either way, there's a no reason for all this hysteria. It will continue to sell I'm sure, as the reception has been excellent and the patches and fixes will only help. And part 3 shouldn't be in danger either.

The real question is where do we go after the inevitable PoE3 (and WL3) come out. Will these games die off again? Certainly looks like a possibility. If Obsidian want to avoid it, the first thing to do is to drop the cancer that is RtWP and go TB which is actually having a bit of renaissance right now.

• Agree x 7
    • Disagree x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Major_Blackhart Codexia Lord Sodom Patron

Major_Blackhart
    Feargus does not seem to be a learning animal, and believes that games like BG succeeded because of RTwP, not in spite of it.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  22. IHaveHugeNick Arcane

IHaveHugeNick
    I'm sure they all know RTwP is a problem, look at the amount of effort in PoE2 to make combat more readable.

It's just that you can't exactly ask people for money to make BG successor and make it turn-based.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Urthor Arbiter Patron

Urthor
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    It's also released later in the year.

I do wonder if earlier is just better for quarter 1 and quarter 2 results, Kingdom Come got released super early and was fully capable of building a hype train because there was little else competing for attention. In May, Obsidian is doing better than Tyranny but worse than Battletech for example, you wonder if it's simply eating the dust of Battletech picking up customers who are still playing battletech and all those other games for example, and on the horizon is E3 which is fairly prominent in gamers' minds.

It's still a better release date in Tyranny but I would not be surprised if we start seeing a trend of February releases being the most profitable time for indie RPGs when they cash in on the attention that comes with dropping your game in the most barren part of the calendar, ahead of other releases.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. CyberWhale Arcane

CyberWhale
    TBH this game had pretty terrible marketing. Instead of making proper Let's Plays with big YouTubers/Twitchers/gaming sites they released short video updates on tumblr/twitter/whatever.
    Not to mention that the game reviews weren't even put on the main page, you literally had to open the Review section on GameSpot to know that the game came out.
    Also terrible launch trailer.

P.S. I don't mind full voice over in an isometric game, but I don't think it is the best investment if you want to get your money back.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Major_Blackhart Codexia Lord Sodom Patron

Major_Blackhart
    My thing is use RTwP on PoE. That's fine. But other isometric games? What is it that Tim and Len are working on? Is that RT or RTwP? It sure as shit ain't TB.

I always got the opinion that Feargus never wanted to do RPGs. At least not the type that he's doing now. I always got the idea he wanted Obsidian to be Bioware. Or something else. Big AAA titles, advertising budgets, all that shit.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)