Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity PoE II: Deadfire Sales Analysis Thread

Flou

Arbiter
There are zero comments about the last DLC announcement on GOG, while literally random stuff has at least 1.

That announcement probably got lost in the autumn sale / black friday frenzy. Not probably the best time to announce your new DLC, just one day before one of the biggest sales on Steam/GOG starts.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
That announcement probably got lost in the autumn sale / black friday frenzy. Not probably the best time to announce your new DLC, just one day before one of the biggest sales on Steam/GOG starts.

It's still on the first page of the news. There are 2 more game announcements after that, one for X4 and one for Draugen. They both have comments, PoE has zero.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I actually enjoy deadfire.. way more than PoE 1 but I can see why it did so poorly.
Most people I talk to, didn't buy PoE 2 because PoE 1 was so bad - outside the echo chamber on this forum, that game was pretty disappointing to most people with upper brain function.

EDIT:

The intense lack of interest this game generates is a bit perplexing, it is not that bad and it has decent reviews.

Were people really that badly burned by PoE?

Does it somehow come off like a glorified expansion to a game people didn't much like?

To put it another way.. the Solo movie didn't bomb because everyone hated Solo.. it bombed because people had saw all the previous star wars movies. PoE1 killed PoE2.

Which proves even more that all the PoE 1 shills that dragged their disgusting faces across their keyboard - don't know shit about game design or what makes a game fun.

The Typical arm chair designers like Prime Crybaby Junta who emphatically defended that game - only to have it completely shred Obsidian's reputation for developing the style of game they were most famous for creating..

It would be funny if it wasn't so tragic. (Jk - it's really funny)

Last edited:

Maybe obsidian will learn that only AAA games that come with a good polished experience can be excused to have a weak plot.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It's not so much the echo chamber, but having to be a specific kind of person to squeeze a little bit of enjoyment out of PoE1. And those are mainly found on the Codex. I have never once met another person irl who knows what PoE is, and I've played Fallout 1 on a friend's computer.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I actually enjoy deadfire.. way more than PoE 1 but I can see why it did so poorly.
Most people I talk to, didn't buy PoE 2 because PoE 1 was so bad - outside the echo chamber on this forum, that game was pretty disappointing to most people with upper brain function.
I woudn't say that we have an echo chamber here. Outside of few retarded fans most people here didn't like it or had lukewarm feelz toward the game. Even old school fans of obsidian were disappointed with it.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It's not so much the echo chamber, but having to be a specific kind of person to squeeze a little bit of enjoyment out of PoE1. And those are mainly found on the Codex. I have never once met another person irl who knows what PoE is, and I've played Fallout 1 on a friend's computer.
Want to play on my pc?:lol::lol::lol:

Deleted Member 16721

I also think that people disliked PoE1, but when Kingmaker is a bigger success it shows people still want these games, just in an organic, "real Baldur's gate" style. PF:K is a perfect example of a *true* Baldur's Gate spirtiual successor, and I think people actually want that - more people than we previously thought. I think Obsidian has to do a better job promoting their world and ruleset, and make it like a new Forgotten Realms type of setting, as in actually build a consistent setting, pen-and-paper ruleset and show that off to people. The "new D&D" type thing, where the world actually has a backbone and meat and potatoes to it, rather than a fast food meal. That's what I was hoping they did from the start but I won't repeat that stuff again here. Tyranny could have been a perfect IWD to PoE1's Baldur's Gate but they missed their chance to further build their world and ruleset there.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I woudn't say that we have an echo chamber here. Outside of few retarded fans most people here didn't like it or had lukewarm feelz toward the game. Even old school fans of obsidian were disappointed with it.

This was before your time Fanta.. Me and Lhynn were the lone voices of reason in a sea of filthy fanboys who would trumpet how perfect Josh Sawyer's designs are and how silly grog concepts like "Combat XP", "Unique Itemization" and "Fun" are dinosaurs of the past.

Watching Josh Sawyer slowly realize nobody likes ((((((his*))))) ideas as he slowly, patch after patch walked back all his decisions - was the only positive thing to come out of that trainwreck.

Idea's fed to him on Something Awful forums

Cross

Arcane
So, Steam Autumn Sale. Let's check out RPG (things tagged "RPG") top seller list!: https://store.steampowered.com/search/?tags=122&os=win&filter=globaltopsellers

#60 NWN:EE
#86 PoE 2
RecapJan26.jpg

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

This was before your time Fanta.. Me and Lhynn were the lone voices of reason in a sea of filthy fanboys who would trumpet how perfect Josh Sawyer's designs are and how silly grog concepts like "Combat XP", "Unique Itemization" and "Fun" are dinosaurs of the past.

Watching Josh Sawyer slowly realize nobody likes ((((((his*))))) ideas as he slowly, patch after patch walked back all his decisions - was the only positive thing to come out of that trainwreck.

Idea's fed to him on Something Awful forums
In the face of decline you could only spit in it and charge with your glorious bastard sword chopping down popamole faggots till the light of incline shines unto thy face!:salute:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Steamspy is dead. Not sure why anyone would take it seriously anymore.

Define "seriously". You can take it as seriously as a Rasmussen political poll. The numbers are off, but it's measuring something. It's worth noting changes, to understand the overall trend if not the exact values.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom