Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity PoE II: Deadfire Sales Analysis Thread

Codex Year of the Donut
FONV had better exploration because it had actual interesting locations worth exploring you dip
FO4 was just a bunch of empty buildings randomly placed around the map

This stems directly from Bethesda viewing Fallout as a post-apocalyptic game where the world is in a perpetual state of disrepair instead of a post-post-apocalyptic game where civilization is being rebuilt.

I disagree. It had plenty of interesting locations to visit and i enjoyed them. What you meant to say was that it had less POPULATED locations to visit, on which i agree. Yes, Bethesda should have made more actual cities for people to visit, no argument against that. But the Fallout 4 map still had a lot of interesting buildings and places to visit for loot/fights. Plus the world was more varied, instead of just an empty desert like New Vegas.
In what way was the world 'more varied'? Everything was the same.

I'll take just one tiny example here: Raiders.

FNV had the Great Khans, Fiends, Jackals, and Vipers. Each one had their own story, leaders, gear they'd wear, etc.,
FO4 had... Raiders. Yep, they were just called 'raiders'. Basically a bunch of bad guys for you to shoot at randomly placed all over the map with zero story. The crazy and whacky raiders are just going around shooting everyone. Now go do a radiant quest to go save another settlement from the raiders!

Lhynn

Arcane
Better exploration? No. New Vegas was a linear game

God damn i was trying to be nice.
The game is not linear you stupid fuck. By those standards every game ever is linear by virtue of starting in A and ending in Z.

Fallout 4 has a far bigger map and you are free to explore it all as you see fit.
It's filled with meaningless shit. Rewards scale to your level so there's very little motivation to explore. It's also all nonsensical garbage. If you had a brain it would bother you, but because you dont, you come to these boards and subject us to your crippling stupidity.

I dont see how it has "better exploration", unless we have different definitions of what "better exploration" is.
We do. Thank God we do.

But as a game, that means, GAME-PLAY, Fallout 4 was league aheads of New Vegas, sorry.
No you imbecile, shooting shit is just one more thing you do in the game. Fallout 4 presents you with level scaling enemies, how you can enjoy that shit is beyond me.
And the kicker is that it offers absolutely nothing else but that and looting shit.

New vegas shooting is worse, yes but it feels better by virtue of there being some meaning behind the encounters. And by the fact that the character system offers you many options other than shooting shit.

When i want to shoot zombies to let off some steam, i play FO4, not New Vegas.
Shit. Out of all the games with superior combat and shooting you settle for FO4?
I too want to let off some steam when I get home from work, smart thing would be to play warframe or path of exile or the myriad of quality action games. Instead you play FO4 for the shooting. :lol:

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
I find steam reviews reliable most of the time. Deadfire was a solid 80% at release, but Obsidian addressed every bit of player feedback and now it's deservedly 95% overwhelmingly positive.

Games like Kingmaker, Bards Tale IV, and Numenera earned their 'meh' status. They're mediocre and disappointing to anyone with standards.

Last edited:

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Using the unstated opinions of the majority of PoE1's players to declare your own dislike of the game objective fact seems specious.

Unstated opinions? You mean the opinions I spent my first 6 months on the codex arguing about during the Beta?
What are you talking about retard.

---

EDIT:
CyberWhale J_C Infinitron

I see all your little reaction emotes popping up on my posts.
I'm sure you are all just these concerned, unbiased & objective dex users who are giving honest feedback.. definitely not the POE1 shills I was referring to.

:positive:

Last edited:

2house2fly

Magister
nJjHLWA.png
z4Q1NA5.png
the obvious retort here would be to point out that Fallout 4 has more positive reviews than New Vegas has reviews total. I think arguing that Fallout 4 wasn't more popular than New Vegas is a doomed endeavour

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
FONV had better exploration because it had actual interesting locations worth exploring you dip
FO4 was just a bunch of empty buildings randomly placed around the map

This stems directly from Bethesda viewing Fallout as a post-apocalyptic game where the world is in a perpetual state of disrepair instead of a post-post-apocalyptic game where civilization is being rebuilt.

I disagree. It had plenty of interesting locations to visit and i enjoyed them. What you meant to say was that it had less POPULATED locations to visit, on which i agree. Yes, Bethesda should have made more actual cities for people to visit, no argument against that. But the Fallout 4 map still had a lot of interesting buildings and places to visit for loot/fights. Plus the world was more varied, instead of just an empty desert like New Vegas.
In what way was the world 'more varied'? Everything was the same.

I'll take just one tiny example here: Raiders.

FNV had the Great Khans, Fiends, Jackals, and Vipers. Each one had their own story, leaders, gear they'd wear, etc.,
FO4 had... Raiders. Yep, they were just called 'raiders'. Basically a bunch of bad guys for you to shoot at randomly placed all over the map with zero story. The crazy and whacky raiders are just going around shooting everyone. Now go do a radiant quest to go save another settlement from the raiders!
The only interesting place in the whole Fallout4 was the radiated wasteland,it gave you a feeling of foreboding and uneasiness.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I find steam reviews reliable most of the time. Deadfire was a solid 80% at release, but Obsidian addressed every bit of player feedback and now it's deservedly 95% overwhelmingly positive.

Baldurs Gate and Kingmaker are 90% RTwP combat. Who in their right minds would praise a game that's 90% shit? Someone that's full of shit and loves RTwP.

"RTwP is shit, but my GOTY is a 100 hour game with 90 hours of RTwP combat" - It just doesn't add up.

hmm... I admire your capacity for reflection and self-criticism. and before you say Deadfire's okay because its combat is so easy to automate, I submit that if RTwP can go from shit to good with custom AI scripts, maybe it wasn't that shit in the first place.

the obvious retort here would be to point out that Fallout 4 has more positive reviews than New Vegas has reviews total. I think arguing that Fallout 4 wasn't more popular than New Vegas is a doomed endeavour

going down the vox populi vox dei rabbit hole is always a doomed endeavor anyway.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Steam reviews weren't introduced until 3 years after New Vegas was released, so comparing raw review counts doesn't really give the full picture.
Though that factor probably also skews New Vegas towards the positive side. Fans are more likely to come back and rate a game years after they played it, and all the reviews are based on the fully patched NV and not the somewhat buggy initial release.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Guys, i get it, you hate popular games. You want to be included with the "cool kids" who hate mainstream stuff and are liking more obscure stuff so they are "obviously smarter". I get this. I sometimes felt like that when i was a teenager too, 20 years ago...

I am not going to repeat the same points i made earlier, there is no point, and besides, we are derailing this thread to a FO4. Someone asked if popularity meant better, and i replied on my reasoning for FO4 being a better overall game than New Vegas.

You have to realize, everyone has different priorities on what he is looking for in a game. Perhaps having raiders named "Khans" "Vipers" etc instead of generic raiders means something to you for example, but they don't mean anything for the vast majority of the gaming population. After all, what difference did it make? The Great Khans had barely any worthwhile questline, they were barely a faction at all, and Vipers could just be named anything in the game. I never noticed their names anyway, they were just "enemies to shoot" to me. I don't really care about such stuff, after 3+ decades of gaming, i couldn't give a fuck about slight variations or the small backstory behind trash mobs whose only purpose in-game is to be stuff for me to shoot on...

What i really cared was for the better gunplay. I really enjoyed the gunplay improvements on FO4, and you have to admit, FO4 took a lot from id games... I wanted better gunplay, crafting, making my own settlements. Stuff like that. I can imagine myself replaying FO4 in the future, i can't imagine myself going back to the slog that was NV.

As for games like Warframe and Path of Exile, those are multiplayer games. I don't play multiplayer games. I am a misanthrope. I only play solo.

PS: Steam reviews don't mean shit. The biggest praise you can give a game is to buy it. To put your money where your mouth is. Obviously around 25 million people did for Fallout4. In the age of let's plays, there is no way all those people bought it without knowing what they got into...

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Steam reviews weren't introduced until 3 years after New Vegas was released, so comparing raw review counts doesn't really give the full picture.
Though that factor probably also skews New Vegas towards the positive side. Fans are more likely to come back and rate a game years after they played it, and all the reviews are based on the fully patched NV and not the somewhat buggy initial release.

Steam reviews are not an indication of quality. Hatred is a far stronger motive than love when it comes to these things. Many people play a game, they enjoy it, never leave a review. I have never made a steam review in my life... But there are people who want to complain and leave a negative review because they felt FO4 killed their cat or something.

In the end, sales are all that matters. I don't care about critical or user acclaim. People claim Dark Souls is a masterpiece and can't shut up about that garbage yet it can't sell for shit, even though it is a popamole game on all consoles and has been getting incredible press coverage for years... Fallout 4 has like 6-7 times the sales of Dark Souls III, even though it had a lesser metascore, far lower user scores, and people keep shiting on it while praising DS3.

Fact of life: People don't pay money on things they don't enjoy, no matter what forum posters, game critics, and other people say... They enjoy FO4 far more than other games. There is a reason for that. Try to understand it and drop the elitist attitude people...

The Real Fanboy
Fallout: New Vegas (I finally started playing it last week!) is like Brockhampton's Sat 1-3 albums, a super big project produced over a short summer and fall whose condensed timeframe pushed the gang creatively in its boldness and choices (btw QUEER is my favorite song off the saturation albums and I recommend everyone here listen to it!). Fallout 4 is like BH's first studio album Iridescence, its fun, the music videos have a bigger budget, it got more marketing on spotify, but the messiness and contrasting sounds and rawness is sadly gone and you have Bearface singing a lot and Joba's cringey lines ruining the music (sorry bearface and joba).

Iridescence (Fallout 4) might have brought in more fans and be more popular for a minute, but don't tell me Sat 2 (Fallout: New Vegas) isn't the better (and more interesting) album!!!

Unwanted

SlumLord

Unwanted
Edgy
Where are you getting that? From everyone I've talked to I've heard Deadfire is a lot more fun than PoE1. I've heard differing opinions about the writing though.

A lot of people, myself included, think PoE1's success was hyped, out of nostalgia, and not a real indication of how a sequel would do. I don't think the majority of people here are saying bad sales are an indicator of PoE2's failure as a game. If anything it's linking it to PoE1's failure as a game.

All else being equal, PoE2 is inferior to PoE1 from a narrative and design standpoint. Which was the only saving grace of Obsidian from the time they opened up 'till now - storytelling, coupled with tactical group combat. PoE2 doesn't have a coherent story - it has a thematically linked series of narrative vignettes taking place within a fixed area of the game world. As shitty as PoE1 was, it at least had a handful of themes it wanted to explore, and explore them it did (hamfistedly, and with no subtlety, but that's another can of worms altogether). The combat in the 1st game was also more exploitable and allowed a wider variety of loopholes, both in itemization and builds, which makes it more fun right off the bat.

What I'm trying to say is that PoE2 failed where it counted; storytelling, narrative, atmosphere, and build diversity. Only a handful of areas were genuinely interesting, and only a few NPCs didn't make you want to instantly lobotomize them when they opened their mouth. The writing was subpar, the story laghable, the companions tumbler-esque, and the world dull. Yeah, the game looks nice than its predecessor, and I guess you can fiddle around with a greater amount of builds (which means jack shit since they all do the same thing), but if I wanted either of those things I'd play an AAA title instead of an isometric RPG. Narratively, and tactically, PoE2 is worse off than PoE1.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Those numbers appear to be very off judging from the dividends that fig investors received. PoE 2 was released just a month before they were generated, so they couldn't be too accurate anyway.
There is a legal loophole which allows a different company owned by the same people as Obsidian, to sell steam keys which don't go into Fig's report. While this loophole will not be abused to extreme degrees (or it would attract attention) it's possible that actual sales are larger by a small percentage than what can be reverse engineered from the Fig statement.

It's because of The Steam Awards voting, since leaving a review for a game you nominate gives you upgrade to the Steam badge. So it's mostly from the existing owners.
You are right. I didn't think about that. I myself wrote a review for the same reason.

a) Far better shooting mechanics and gameplay loop than New Vegas. I enjoyed combat in Fallout 4 a great deal more than New Vegas. New Vegas combat is a chore and obsolete.
New vegas can have amazing shooting with the proper mods installed.

In the end, i enjoyed Fallout 4 far more than New Vegas. I find replaying New Vegas a chore these days, even with mods, while i love to waste time shooting baddies in FO4.
What if the game is very good at what it does and offers, but you just aren't in the mood for it? I am having great fun with FNV right now, because that's what I want to play, I've installed and tuned the mods I want, I have my amazing custom soundtrack for it, and I sure as hell won't touch Fallout 4.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
hmm... I admire your capacity for reflection and self-criticism. and before you say Deadfire's okay because its combat is so easy to automate, I submit that if RTwP can go from shit to good with custom AI scripts, maybe it wasn't that shit in the first place.

It would still be better if it was full turn-based or RTS. Custom AI scripts are just making the best of a clunky system.

Flou

Arbiter
The Obsidian Edition of Deadfire has finally passed Tyranny portrait pack in sales numbers. Huzzah! It also flew past the Deluxe Edition of Tyranny and both parts 1 and 2 of White March.
Next up on the list to beat is Bastard's Wound DLC, but that's going to take some time. Obsidian edition is on page 27, while Bastard's Wound is sitting on page 19.
Basic version of Deadfire also passed White March Part 2, but it is clearly being beat by the Obsidian Edition at this point.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom