Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Pokemon Sword and Shield

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by Makabb, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Makabb Arcane Shitposter Bethestard

Makabb
    • decline decline x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Makabb Arcane Shitposter Bethestard

Makabb
    There was a leak and supposedly pokemons were cut from 1000 to 400

• decline x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Bad Spelling x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    • what? x 1
    • Hoo x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Goi~Yaas~Dinn Scholar

Goi~Yaas~Dinn
    This franchise zombie should've died ages ago, so I'm not exactly cheering for it in the way you might think.

• Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Goi~Yaas~Dinn Scholar

Goi~Yaas~Dinn
    Also I'm gonna double-post too, Gen. III sucked dick.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Rage Rage x 1
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Werdna's Revenge Erudite Patron

Werdna's Revenge
    I liked the first few Pokemon Gen, but man it really is a tired zombie franchise at this point.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Sigourn Arcane

Sigourn
    Pokémon had a lot of potential. GameFreak, however, saw fit to constantly remove cool features and half-ass Pokémon designs. Starting from Gen IV, there's not a single Generation I would keep based on its Pokémon designs. Exceptions are Gen IV's pre-evolutions and evolutions of pre-existing Pokémon, and Gen VI's Mega evolutions. Everything else? Minus Garchomp, they can all disappear.

500 Pokémon are more than enough. With Sword and Shield, sadly, most of those cool 500 Pokémon will be gone. Venusaur. Blastoise. Pidgeot. Fearow. Nidoqueen. Nidoking. Crobat. Primeape. Poliwrath. Alakazam. Golem. Dodrio. Dewgong. Marowak. Seaking. Scyther. Electabuzz. Magmar. Pinsir. Tauros. Omastar. Kabutops. Aerodactyl. The legendary birds. Dragonite. Mewtwo. And that's just Gen I. And for what? This garbage?

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

What a bunch of bullshit, they killed Pokémon.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • decline decline x 1
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Swigen Scholar

Swigen
    I was gonna pre-order this for muh kid and I wasn’t sure which one to get, so I google it and the top articles were about all the Pokémon they cut. Is it really gonna suck? Is Christmas RUINED?!?!?

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Viata Arcane

Viata
    Why do people still play this series? Any spin off game is better than the mainline.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. deuxhero Arcane

deuxhero
    Swigen
    Get your kid the new cyber sluts port.

• [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Deflowerer Arcane

Deflowerer
    Isn't this the first proper 3D mainline game with 'HD' assets? Not surprised then at all.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. TheImplodingVoice Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

TheImplodingVoice
    But since it is a proper 3d mainlike HD home console version. It would be fair to expect a full home console version and not a handheld version

^ Top  
  12. Red Panda Learned Patron

Red Panda
    Don't care about Pokemon anymore, but Sirfetch'd is great.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    Pokemon has been cargo-culting for years. They could try something original, such as playing as a Gym owner, aka Dungeon Keeper meets Pokemon, a thing people has been asking for since forever, but they never will because taking risks is now a foreign concept for the main titles when so much money is at the stake. Perhaps a spin-off game will do that, but it's unlikely. Hell, when the main games do try something new, it's often panned, as it happened with the Challenges that replaced the Gyms for the Sun & Moon game.

Then there are fangames. These could be something good, but more often than not they're try-hard edgy stories whose gameplay likely overflows with modder drama from every pore.

As for the limited available pokes, clearly future games and/or expansions will slowly but surely update that number.

^ Top  
  14. Galdred Studio Draconis Patron Developer

Galdred
    If you have a wayto play Nintendo DS games, get Pokemon Conquest! At least, it has good tactical battles and doesn't feel like an endless grind :)
    My daughter played both, but from a parent's point of view, the mainline games really overstay their welcome (the kid will have mastered everything there is to learn way before the end of the game).

^ Top  
  15. TheImplodingVoice Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

TheImplodingVoice
    I'm sure you were:lol:

On a serious note. Some Pokemon fans are so obsessed with Pokemon that they will literally feel like Christmas is ruined

^ Top  
  16. Hobo Elf Arcane

Hobo Elf
    The hilarious thing about them cutting the Pokemon down is that the online poke bank feature that they have is completely useless now. The whole point of that was so that you could carry your favorite mon from game to game, but now that's impossible and people are stuck paying a sub fee for a useless feature. GFreak is such a mess I can't help but wonder why Nintendo doesn't just take the IP from them and give it to a more competent dev. Their work has always been sloppy but they've been slipping up even worse over the past few years.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. flyingjohn Arcane

flyingjohn
    The biggest failure of modern pokemon games is the difficulty.I couldn't imagine playing any pokemon game without a good difficulty romhack.
    Even digimon has a difficulty selection which isn't very effective,but at least it is there.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019 at 1:54 PM
    • not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Garbage Educated

Garbage
    There were actually difficulty options in Gen 5. Just goes to show that Gen 5 was the last time Game Freak actually cared.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Goi~Yaas~Dinn Scholar

Goi~Yaas~Dinn
    I don't get why anyone would keep playing after Gen. IV. Speaking from a North American POV, that's the last time everyone who made the series what you knew and loved were onboard in any real capacity.
    Gen. V has its charms, but it's also the first one where the overall Pokemon design is more bad than good. I also don't care for being told what the fuck I can nickname my Pokemon.

^ Top  
  20. Sigourn Arcane

Sigourn
    Ironically, these "HD assets" are the ones used in the latest 3DS game. They are HD because they run at higher resolutions, not because they were rebuilt from the ground up.

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Alphard Novice

Alphard
    The only worthwhile pokemon games are your first pokemon game as a kid and emerald.
    Really, battle frontier was the shit. Sadly they never implemented it again because casuals tears

^ Top  
  22. Red Panda Learned Patron

Red Panda
    Well it's a game for kids. It's as complaining about the new Kirby.

^ Top  
  23. Alphard Novice

Alphard
    There is no reason to play a pokemon game as an adult today:
    Collectionism: 90 % of mons are either ugly or bad in combat. The "good" pokemon today are the ones that look only half like poop

Combat: basically every other jrpg has better combat

Team building: very long and tedious process, wich is useless anyway because you can beat the game with basically every team, and if you cant, just grind.
    You better go on competitive platforms as smogon to enjoy this aspect.

Story. Not even worth saying anything

^ Top  
  24. Alphard Novice

Alphard
    They could make it enjoyable by adults too. There are many games like super mario and zelda that are played by all age players.
    Also kids are not retarded. I managed to get all silver badges of BF in emerald when i was 12.
    If you want to make it engaging just add an easy difficulty and make harder content optional like they did with battle frontier.

The reality is they couldn't care less. Until people still buy their games, not matter how bad they are, they don't have incentive to change

^ Top  
  25. biggestboss Scholar

biggestboss
    I'm going to pick this up despite the cuts because I'm a pokecuck. I also enjoy competitive play (both Smogon and VGC) and love all the changes GameFreak is making to simplify the teambuilding process: basically, just spend in-game money to build your teams instead of trying to catch specific natures, EV train, etc.

• cuck cuck x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)