Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Poll - Best Tomb Raider

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by DJOGamer PT, Jul 12, 2019.

?

Which is in your opinion the best Tomb Raider game?

1. Tomb Raider 1

24.2%
  2. Tomb Raider 2

36.4%
  3. Tomb Raider 3

12.1%
  4. The Last Revelation

18.2%
  5. Chronicles

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. The Angel of Darkness

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Legend

18.2%
  8. Anniversary

21.2%
  9. Underworld

6.1%
  10. KingComrade: the reboot trilogy

30.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. DJOGamer PT Magister

DJOGamer PT
    So I was reading an history book the other day, when the author mentions the tomb, were the particular indivual I was reading about rests and for some reason I was reminded of Tomb Raider.
    Thinking about it made it clear I never really played any game of big titied Lara's adventures, which consedering the series renown and my appreciation of platformers striked me as odd. I mean I did have physical copy of Angel of Darkness when I was a kid (although I can't find it by now), and I tried a bit of the game back then but never even completed a single level. Plus considering I mostly forgotten about it, that doesn't really count as experience.

So I ask you fellow 'dexers, which entries of the main 3D games are the best?
    You can vote up to 3 titles.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    You made it a joke selection, but the reboot games are generally considered pretty good even by grumpy Codex types. I just played the first one not long ago and enjoyed it quite a bit, silly QTE segments aside.

Of the older stuff I remember thinking Tomb Raider 2 was the best of the early games, a bit more refined than the first and actually had a fucking soundtrack on PC. I liked Anniversary a good bit from the later series. That trilogy is pretty console-y, but Anniversary felt the most like an old school game with modern visuals. and had good puzzles. Honestly none of them are bad other than Angel of Darkness, if you like the series in general, I feel. Stuff like Chronicles is more played out than terrible.

• Yes Yes x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Melcar Arcane

Melcar
    I liked 2 and 3 the best. Stopped playing after Angel of Derpness. Played the first two in the reboot trilogy and did not like them.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Goi~Yaas~Dinn Learned

Goi~Yaas~Dinn
    All the classic ones but Chronicles are good. Three is prolly the weakest (without being outright "bad" like Chronicles).

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. DJOGamer PT Magister

DJOGamer PT
    Managed to find the Angel of Darknes copy. I don't see a whole lot of votes there. Is the game bad?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Goi~Yaas~Dinn Learned

Goi~Yaas~Dinn
    Following immediately after the buggy cashgrab that was Chronicles? Yeah, it single-handedly ended the Classic franchise. Got shitcanned so hard and so fast the entire storyline arc ends on a cliffhangar, as I recall.

• :( :( x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Paul_cz Arcane

Paul_cz
    I am not counting TR1 and 2 which I played 20 years ago and never finished.
    I started playing TR properly with Legend and of the Crystal Dynamics ones it was my favourite.
    I really liked first TR reboot and hated Rise of TR.
    I am playing Shadow right now. So far (6 hours in) it is better than Rise at least.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. abnaxus Arcane

abnaxus
    The Paris levels are fine but Prague is p. bad. There's a terrible section where you play as Lara's sidekick that almost ruins the entire game.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Falksi Arcane

Falksi
    I found the 2013 reboot fucking brilliant, and by far & away better than all the older games.

True to form, things started going to shit when they decided to turn a brutal, tightly constricted & well paced game into an open world borefest for the sequel.

• retadred retadred x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Rean Codex Grammar Police Patron

Rean
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Underworld, followed by Anniversary. I loved the original series and these games took that formula and adapted it for modern times without compromising on the puzzle solving.

^ Top  
  11. Lemming42 Arcane

Lemming42
    TR2 deservedly in the lead because it's incredible. Perfect pacing, great level variety, outstanding setpieces (slowly realising that the Maria Doria has actually ripped in half and the half you're in is upside down is 10/10), plot is exactly as good as it needs to be, coolest incarnation of Lara Croft (more characterisation than TR1, but none of the psycho security-guard-murdering of TR3), and the vehicle segments don't completely suck shit, they just partially suck shit.

Of the new ones, Anniversary is the only one that's really worth anything IMO and that's mostly for the value of being able to point at the screen and say "WOW I REMEMBER THIS BIT IN THE ORIGINAL HAHA". Of the other games:

TR1 - excellent
    TR3 - good
    TR4 - boring
    TR5 - shit
    AOD - shit but you have to give them credit for whatever the fuck it was they were trying to do
    Legend - shit
    Underworld - genuinely can't remember most of it other than the ship and spazzing out with Thor's hammer, didn't like it
    TR2013 - shit
    Rise of the TR - shit

Didn't play the latest one.

^ Top  
  12. Jvegi Arcane

Jvegi
    No.

It was my first so I may be biased, but it was bloody perfect. So was the second one. But Last Revelation was prettier.

^ Top  
  13. Lemming42 Arcane

Lemming42
    I chose "boring" over "shit" because I don't think it's without merit (except the fucking jeep section) and I'd rather play TR4 than any of the games that have come after it, but all the samey Egyptian tombs just blend into one elongated brown-biege nightmare. I can't vividly remember any levels except the jeep - for the wrong reasons - and the train, which is just straight up cool.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)