Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[Poll] Codex favorite mech from Battletech

What is your favorite mech from Battletech? (pick up to 3)

• Phoenix Hawk (Inner Sphere)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Griffin (Inner Sphere)

• Dasher (Clan)

• Wolfhound (Inner Sphere, with one exception)

• Highlander (Inner Sphere)

• Clint (Inner Sphere)

• Penetrator (Inner Sphere)

• Turkina (Clan)

• Ryoken/ Stormcrow (Clan)

• Viper/ Dragonfly (Clan)

• Dragon (Inner Sphere)

• Stalker (Inner Sphere)

• Cauldron Born/ Ebon Jaguar (Clan)

• Man O' War/ Gargoyle (Clan)

• Orion (Inner Sphere)

• Puma/ Adder (Clan)

• Cougar (Clan)

• Night Gyr (Clan)

• Shadowcat (Clan)

• Kingfisher (Clan)

• Nightstar (Inner Sphere)

• Banshee (Inner Sphere)

• Total voters

Jason Liang

Arcane
I thought I would add this. At least I want to know.

Not sure which mechs belong so if your favorite mech is not listed just let me know and I'll add it to the poll.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Here are at least some of them, since I doubt that anyone can remember what each of those looks like:

omniheights.jpg

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
The original designs:

battletech_battlemechs_1_by_drofdemonology-d54wm3y.jpg

From left to right, top to bottom:

Archer, Assassin, Awesome, BattleMaster

Centurion, Commando, Dervish, Dragon

Firestarter, Griffin, Hatchetman, Hunchback

Javelin, Jenner, Locust, Orion

Panther, Phoenix Hawk, Rifleman, Scorpion

Shadow Hawk, Stinger, Thunderbolt, Valkyrie

Vindicator, Warhammer, Wasp, Wolverine

Dayyālu

Arcane
Isn't this a Gazebo subject?

Well, considering that BT is dead as fuck and the optimal way to play it is on Megamek, maybe it's legit. Funnily enough, I'm a fan of the Elemental Armour. It reminds me of the stock Starship Troopes description, gorilla-like.

555px-Elemental.jpg

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Isn't this a Gazebo subject?

Well, considering that BT is dead as fuck and the optimal way to play it is on Megamek

Hint: There is a new Battletech game coming out in a few months, already in beta. Most of these mechs will be in the game.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Hint: There is a new Battletech game coming out in a few months, already in beta. Most of these mechs will be in the game.

Hint: as a Tabletop game BT is dead as Stalin outside some limited communities in the US. New publications and sets have been "almost here" for scores of years (the IlClan had to come out, what, in 2016 or something?).

And isn't the new game grogtech, by the way?

Yeap, 3025, so cargo-cult grogtech and so the vast majority of Clan Omnis and post-3028 designs should not even be included in the poll. I'm one of those heretics that likes Tabletop BT, even if playing it online is the superior (and the easier) way. If Warhams is a Gazebo subject, this can be too.

But after all, minutiae.

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Thor, Marauder and Thunderbolt for me.

Is it heresy to prefer MWO's re-designs to the old stuff? I think they got them right. Not much else, sadly, but it is something. Harebrained will use them for 'Battletech' too, wich is nice.

i voted daishi and uller because those were my most used mechs in mw4 and mw4bk, and the blackjack because it was my most used mech in multiplayer battletech 3025. holy crap, that must have been the last ever ea's attempt at a genuinely fun game. and promptly killed it realizing the mistake.

Quigs

Magister
Fucks with this weeb list? Nothing from 3067? No Fafnir? No Akuma? If I'm stuck working off this bullshit list, it's Vulture, Jenner, Highlander.

Quigs

Magister
Hint: as a Tabletop game BT is dead as Stalin outside some limited communities in the US. New publications and sets have been "almost here" for scores of years (the IlClan had to come out, what, in 2016 or something?).

Blame Herb Beas and Ben Rome. Took Randall's keys and drove the family car into a lake. Loren stealing a few hundred thousand from the company while telling what good writers they had left they weren't going to be paid didn't help any either. (See : Eclipse Phase)

PorkBarrellGuy

>no Hatamoto-Chi
DISHONORABRU
CCG_Unlimited_Hatamoto-Chi.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Fucks with this weeb list? Nothing from 3067? No Fafnir? No Akuma? If I'm stuck working off this bullshit list, it's Vulture, Jenner, Highlander.
Yes, it is a disappointing list. Any true Battletech list would limit itself to designs from before they mucked up the setting by introducing the Clans. :obviously:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I have always preferred the heavy gear line of mechs, even though their rollerskating ability doesn't make much sense either:

gear1.jpg

Cael

Arcane
Archer, Marauder and Urbanmech.

I'll use these against an equal weight in just about any other combination of non-Clan 3025 'mechs any day of the week.

Once Clan comes into the picture, I'd rather use my own customised Omnis.

Cael

Arcane
I have always preferred the heavy gear line of mechs, even though their rollerskating ability doesn't make much sense either:

gear1.jpg
So, that is where they got the idea for the Cyclops from...

191px-t3idgf27l52kerxe7i9g18i9pvbseqz.png

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
The Mechs in Heavy Gear were rip offs from the anime VOTOMS (their rollerskating ability also comes from there).

atm-09-st.jpg

So it is quite possible it comes directly from there.

Cael

Arcane
The Mechs in Heavy Gear were rip offs from the anime VOTOMS (their rollerskating ability also comes from there).

atm-09-st.jpg

So it is quite possible it comes directly from there.
That... is the Battlemaster...

191px-au69xrojmt19m4noqyxsxld8g9eoe17.jpg

PorkBarrellGuy

Pretty sure the Scopedog was first, there are a number of mechs in that TRO that were based on the Scopedog (Zeus, Atlas, Battlemaster, probably more I'm missing). Honestly, the art in that TRO edition looked pretty bad except for the Whammy, Rifleman and Marauder. One of the reasons I liked the Reseens and other updates was that they at least TRIED to improve on that and break a little further away from their copycat origins. A lot of people hate the Reseens way too much to be healthy.

As for the Cyclops, Heavy Gear is newer than the Cyclops design.

PorkBarrellGuy

Apparently Dougram came before VOTOMS so the Scopedog itself is actually a Bigfoot.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Boo, you don't put up clannerscum designations for their clannerscum 'mechs.

Also pol is missing KC1-KD-X.

Vaarna_Aarne said:
Probably Atlas, it's by far spawned the most succesful visual redesigns since its debut out of the humanoid BattleMechs. In case of MechWarrior games, I tend to prefer the "surprisingly fast and jumping" assault mech over gunplatform even if the games really undervalue mobility.

Favorite chickenleg is probs Mad Cat, as cliche as that is.

Mad Cat has this nice thing in that it's got this nose and canopy like a WW2 bomber, I rather like that from a visual perspective along with the Mickey Mouse missile pods. In terms of function it's generally been in many respects a sweet spot too, hardpoint or otherwise (lack of jump jets in MW4 aside, but that's more of a personal obsession than important function since in MW4 the jets' just a toy).

EDIT:
Thor, Marauder and Thunderbolt for me.

Is it heresy to prefer MWO's re-designs to the old stuff? I think they got them right. Not much else, sadly, but it is something. Harebrained will use them for 'Battletech' too, wich is nice.
Nope, because BattleTech as a franchise had absolutely hideous art design and art for almost its entire history, just look at those goddamn hideous book covers and Tech Readout illustrations on this page. Absolutely horrendous and if anyone got paid for that shit fuck this gay earth.

Before the MWO redesign (albeit the HBS promo artwork is still the best tier, particularly the one with King Crab and tanks; as an aside it gave me hope that at least tanks and so on won't look like fucking toys anymore either) came along, the only decent BattleTech artwork was the ones licensed for the original boxed set, the Japanese boxset's Japan-only re-design, and the artwork commissioned from Victor Musical Industries.

Last edited:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
btw, is it the favorite look wise, or gameplay wise?
I am also a big fan of the elemental combat armor.
Look wise, I really like the newer Atlas, but before that, I was a big fan of the madcat look when I played the TT.
Gameplay wise, we designed a custom mech with the Citytech ruleset that had no weapon, only engines, which allowed it to dash through the battlefield in one round, be almost immune to ranged weapons (because apparently, going very fast in a straight line makes you automatically dodge bullet), and whose main method of dealing damage was to ram other mechs (it was also creatively named "battering ram").

Jason Liang

Arcane
I'm gonna guess... King Crab?

It's funny, I was about to put King Crab in the original roll poll, but I thought there wouldn't be any other King Crab fans. Always a fan of mechs named after delicious food.

Just kidding. I know that Comstar's King Crabs saved humanity from the Clans on Tukayyid.

I also remembered Hatamoto-Chi, that picture is from the card and it was in my (one and only) Battletech TCG starter deck. But honestly it looks like a transformer.

Can't believe there are so many Kurita Codex fans. I thought most players affiliated with Steiner, Davion or Liao. Hence the popularity of Urbies.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom