Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[Poll] Did anyone finish Divinity: Original Sin?

Did you finish D:OS?

• Yes, I finished it.

Votes: 194 39.3%
  • I played it but didn't finish it.

Votes: 231 46.8%
  • I haven't played it (kingcomrade).

Votes: 69 14.0%

• Total voters

Nomad_Blizz

Arcane
I finished it :incline:

In all larian games, by the end you become some sort of demi-god and all enemies including bosses become too easy to beat- I'm glad D:OS is less so. Admittedly, Arhu was harder to beat than the void dragon.

Cadmus

Arcane
I finished it :incline:

In all larian games, by the end you become some sort of demi-god and all enemies including bosses become too easy to beat- I'm glad D:OS is less so. Admittedly, Arhu was harder to beat than the void dragon.
Why everyone killed Ahru? Was there a reason to kill him that I missed? Was it to test your power?

Nomad_Blizz

Arcane
Why everyone killed Ahru? Was there a reason to kill him that I missed? Was it to test your power?
It's either that, or take the long road and kill Cassandra to complete the "A Forge of Soul" quest. I ended up killing both of them, cause why not?

SniperHF

Arcane
encounters past Cyseal and the likes are naturally beyond repair

Some of the other stuff may or may not be the case, but I don't think this one is true. The way Larian is implementing the mode makes it possible they could greatly improve the encounters. You can see some of how it works in the editor now. There will be entirely different enemy placements, objects, and even potentially terrain for hardcore.

Larian might not deliver, but having seen partially how hardcore is implemented in the editor I think the possibility is there for greatly improved encounters.

I really hope in addition to hardcore mode and whatever else they have cooked up, that they take a look at the Phantom Forrest and burn half of it down. It's just filler. Condense the size and make the fights rarer and harder. It will also reduce the maximum level you could reach before the end fight potentially making it harder as a result too.

Cadmus

Arcane
Some of the other stuff may or may not be the case, but I don't think this one is true. The way Larian is implementing the mode makes it possible they could greatly improve the encounters. You can see some of how it works in the editor now. There will be entirely different enemy placements, objects, and even potentially terrain for hardcore.

Larian might not deliver, but having seen partially how hardcore is implemented in the editor I think the possibility is there for greatly improved encounters.

I really hope in addition to hardcore mode and whatever else they have cooked up, that they take a look at the Phantom Forrest and burn half of it down. It's just filler. Condense the size and make the fights rarer and harder. It will also reduce the maximum level you could reach before the end fight potentially making it harder as a result too.
how's the resistances limit with the latest patch? Are they still capped at 80% or did they scrap that limit?
I think they mentioned in the update also an improvement of the enemy AI and giving them more abilities to use more cleverly which would be exactly what the system needs, no balances or caps.

Nomad_Blizz

Arcane
how's the resistances limit with the latest patch? Are they still capped at 80% or did they scrap that limit?
I think they mentioned in the update also an improvement of the enemy AI and giving them more abilities to use more cleverly which would be exactly what the system needs, no balances or caps.
Remember the sisters Icara (the white witch) and Leander the main villain? The reason she became a baddy was the broken soul forge between them. She turns good again if you can restore the connection. You can only do that if you completed the Forge of Soul quest.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
My interest went down quickly after finishing the Councilman's murder quest and Hiberheim, with encounters becoming more and more formulaic and the challenge decaying quickly, and while I'm probably going to finish it as soon as Grimoire and the Prisoner of Ice Let's Play are finished, replay value is absolute zero, specially because going with an elemental mages focused party instead of the witchcraft focused battlemage + rogue + melee + ranger would only make the game easier.

I found that after all the recent patches, the game does actually become quite difficult at the end, at least on the highest difficulty. The Cassandra battle in particular was a pain, since she could heal herself for more than I could put out per turn (3 mages + the archer), had enough hp to last at least 3 turns anyway, and the things she summoned could twoshot me. I could only beat her by trying to blind her straight away and reloading if I failed.

MiX

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I didn't finish the game mainly because the combat stayed the same throughout the whole game just with bigger numbers. Getting higher level opened up only a few new spells/abilities and they were just slightly modified versions of lower level ones. This made combat increasingly boring as you progressed through the game as you were playing it the same you did at level 1. Pretty hard to finish an 80 hour long game when this is the case.

JasonNH

Augur
Can vote in good conscience for finishing the game after completing it last night. Took an extended break after being a little burned out through the Kickstarter, then getting distracted by the toolset, the getting discouraged by the Larian AFK with the toolset. I'll be looking forward to a second playthrough after the next big patch.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It was a good game overall but the end dragged on because the challenge got lost somewhere after the first half, the encounters became too easy and sometimes repetitive, and there were some areas that weren't as fun as others, first area was just the most well-designed one.

Still enjoyed it to the end.

Declinator

Arbiter
Finished the game. Enjoyable overall though the beginning is clearly the best part. I also quite liked those small snippets of backstory via animation every now and then.

One part that I disliked was all that annoying pixel hunting for switches etc. I'd advice anyone starting out to invest some points in Perception so as to make that pain go away.

The leveling system was also rather boring since you never really get anything truly useful on any singular level up (aside from being able to use skills you've bought elsewhere.) And after something like level 13 there doesn't seem to be any truly useful skills/spells available anyway aside from some basic heavy hitting end-game spells. In fact bow-users and melee characters will practically speaking get nothing beyond that level (or thereabouts.) The perks too were uninteresting for the most part in comparison to, say, Fallout.

I found that after all the recent patches, the game does actually become quite difficult at the end, at least on the highest difficulty. The Cassandra battle in particular was a pain, since she could heal herself for more than I could put out per turn (3 mages + the archer), had enough hp to last at least 3 turns anyway, and the things she summoned could twoshot me. I could only beat her by trying to blind her straight away and reloading if I failed.

Spoiler for a way to break most boss battles:
Though I did not play on the highest difficulty (I think I played second to highest) there was a very effective way to shut down basically any specific enemy by using Drain Willpower which has no saving throws at all and then using Shocking Touch which stuns for 3 turns. The Cassandra fight was actually the one where I noticed this possibility. There are some enemies immune to stun though. Aside from stun you can also use charm though I only did that once since it seemed to be a bit too much having a boss fight for you so it is possible that most bosses are actually immune to that particular option. Drain Willpower should make petrifying and fear available too.

4verse

Literate
i finished it and it was awesome. cant wait for the ee and of course dos2

cfisher2833

Learned
Yes, I beat it. The later parts weren't as strong as the Cyseal area (Cyseal was play-tested like crazy by early access players), but they were hardly bad.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I haven't finished it because I got alpha/beta fatigue from playing the first area like 80 times.

Also necro.... But I guess it's okay since it's in its own sub-forum =P

Sjukob

Arcane
Of course I finished it . I hated the last act , especialy that cheesy area with a lot of boss-like enemies . From that exact area I stoped caring about fights and just used lava core to annihilate everything , the final boss got thrown into the lava as well . I would say that the game was rushed in it's final parts . Plot died in the end of act 1 , but I can't say I hated it . People here say that Act 1 was the best part of the game , I agree , but encounters in the act 2 were solid as well .

P.S.
Fuck Braccus Rex , the most stupid fight in the game .

Last edited:

Nael

Arcane
Tried finishing it 3 times. Never did. Always got to the Death Knights in the mine and said "Fuck this game." and played something else. Waiting for Enhanced Edition to be released and I'll try again.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Its a bit odd the KS for number 2 is going on before the enhanced edition is out. Really haven't played much of the game as I am waiting for that version.

Jinn

Arcane
The last couple hours were certainly rather tedious, but I pushed on through out of love for the rest of the game. I'm really hoping the EE will address this very obvious pacing issue, because I will be playing through it again in co-op.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I've finally did it! Man, it took more than a year since release.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom