Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[Poll] Did anyone finish Divinity: Original Sin?

Did you finish D:OS?

• Yes, I finished it.

Votes: 194 39.3%
  • I played it but didn't finish it.

Votes: 231 46.8%
  • I haven't played it (kingcomrade).

Votes: 69 14.0%

• Total voters

Supermedo

Augur
I'm pumping the god damn thread, holy shit how can a game with solid turn based combat to be boring as shit, I dropped the game twice, first when you go to Hiberheim to find the white witch and the second when I reached hunteredge, I just can't get myself to finish the game.

Last edited:

oneself

Arcane
Shitposter
A minority-white, multicultural hellscape
I'm pumping the god damn thread, holy shit how can a game with solid turn based combat to be boring as shit, I dropped the game twice, first when you go to Hiberheim to find the white witch and the second when I reached hunteredge, I just can't get myself to finish the game.

It got tedious in the second half of the game with sentinels and instant lava, and the mediocre balance between stats and skills didn't help either.

Quite fun as a first walkthrough until halfway. Hard imagining a second one.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Agreed, D:OS 1 becomes tedious roughly halfway through. I wonder how many people who rated it highly actually finished it.

Hopefully the later acts of D:OS 2 will have better pacing.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I wonder how many people who rated it highly actually finished it.

I did. I also didn't put any points into attributes for my two main characters until the point of no return, which kept challenge high for the entire duration up until that moment.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I finished it as well. Enjoyed the parts with sentinels and the lava, too. I'd say the noticeable drop in quality for me was the Phantom Forest.

Nagling

Educated
Quit sometime after the B Rex fight and mostly thanks too a constant deja vu feeling.

lx07

Novice
Finished original once, EE tactician twice. Other than that setting myself little challenges - how early can I get Weresheep armour / heartseeker, can I play with 2 rogues only (nope).

On the original when you could visit seller of secrets every level up that was fun trying to earn enough to buy the books every time but that bug/challenge went away in EE alas.

There are only 2 hard fights in the game. The first with drunk guys on the beach if you want bold, second the entrance to Hiberhelm as you can't sneak around it/leave it till later. Phantom forest swamps are pretty samey (too many identical fights) but can be skipped. Gotta agree with previous posts - it could use much more challenge in later game. After 30 odd starts to this game I'm far more likely to get wiped out before Crytal than anywhere else.

catfood

AGAIN
I finally finished the NON-enhanced version of the game yesterday. I first started it at release date, played up to Luculla and then I restarted because I didn't like the way my characters turned out. That was about a year ago when I also began playing a separate game in co-op with a friend. That playthrough went very, very slowly so I decided to start again on my own. After about of year of trudging through it I finally managed to beat it. To be honest I played it continuously up until Phantom Forest where I started to lose interest in it. A few weeks ago I decided that I need to bite the bullet and finally finish the one game that I backed during KS.

It might sound like I did not enjoy D:OS but I kinda did. I'd give the game a solid 8/10 overall. The thing is that the quality is very uneven throughout. The parts that I enjoyed the most involved puzzle solving. My favorite part was the wizard's house for example. The combat towards the end eventually turned into a boring slog unfortunately. The final boss battle was the worst. It took ages to end, but the funny thing is that my guys were at full health almost 90% of the time. It was not challenging, just time consuming (took me about 30 mins or so). Granted I did pick the zombie perk which quite frankly completely brakes the game, turning most combat encounters into a walk in the park. And speaking of perks, is it just me or are the vast majority of them completely useless? Oh and speaking of useless most of the high level spells are complete garbage. I mean they are so unreliable and they end up hurting you more than the enemy. The only one I found remotely useful was meteor shower. I didn't learn it but I had a couple of scrolls that I used on the final boss. That was fun.

The story and characters were completely forgettable. I don't even know what the story was about if I'm being perfectly honest. And the dialogue was cringe-worthy for the most part. I guess the story was supposed to be super serious but then you meet all of these goofball characters that talk like they're out of a children's movie or something. The game also doesn't offer any sense of place. It feels like you're in a theme park. You're going from one attraction to another and then you immediately forget about it because ultimately it has zero relevance into the grand scheme of things. Once you're done with a point of interest,that's it, you're done. There's no point in going back to it.

Anyway I might give the EE a chance in the future and see what's all the buzz about it. I'll probably play around with crafting since I completely ignored this time, but I heard that it's actually worth it. I also haven't completed every quest in the game. I'll save that for a more completist run for the EE.

Last edited:
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Played it with my friend for 70 hours, got to the final dungeon, then I had to fly home.

Too bad, but whatever.

I've been sort of chipping away at the Enhanced Edition (reinstalling and uninstalling it), but my backlog is the stuff of legends.

Ashenai

Learned
That's uncanny, I also played 70 hours with a friend, then just... stopped. The story wasn't interesting, the writing wasn't interesting, the combat... was good, but not enough to carry the game for longer than that.

I barely remember anything about the story. And I can't recall a single NPC's name. I have high hopes for D:OS2, though, supposedly it's a vast improvement.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I tried to replay this, and despite enjoying it very much once, I found it difficult to get past the camera and running speed. :negative:

The nigh-perfection of Pillars of Eternity has ruined all other crowdfunded RPGs for me.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
The writing was awful, the "exploration" a joke, the crafting system unbalanced and inflated, and their rock paper scissors mechanics in both dialogue and combat uninspired.

I only ever managed to roam a little outside Cyseal before I quit. D:OS 2 does look better on most fronts though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom