Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Poll: The Outer Worlds and Fallout: New Vegas

Which one of these describes your opinion most closely?

• Total voters
Codex Year of the Donut
Since New Vegas is apparently such a great game with brilliant writing, can someone give me a clear motivation for the courier to do anything in the game? Thanks
Do you have any idea how bad your reputation as a courier would be tarnished if you failed to deliver your package?

Lol are you serious now? After being shot in the fucking head and barely surviving this would be the last thing i'd care about
Being a courier in Fallout would be one of the most dangerous jobs available, that would be a normal day for you.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Since New Vegas is apparently such a great game with brilliant writing, can someone give me a clear motivation for the courier to do anything in the game? Thanks
Do you have any idea how bad your reputation as a courier would be tarnished if you failed to deliver your package?

Lol are you serious now? After being shot in the fucking head and barely surviving this would be the last thing i'd care about
Being a courier in Fallout would be one of the most dangerous jobs available, that would be a normal day for you.
:bro:

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
I like New Vegas, but the 'errand boy' trope is still dumb. My problem is less with the PC's motivation and more with the fact that everyone is so willing to dump their issues on you. It's something that makes everyone other than the PC look incompetent and too trusting.

Terenty

Liturgist

That's the dumbest critisism ever leveled at New Vegas. Especially if your such a fan a Fallout 1 (I am too, but thats beside the point).

Giving your charachter too much backstory hurts role-playing. You had dialogue options to define it more, but that was never forced upon you. Fallout 1 was exactly the same way. You were send out into the wasteland, but your motivation was up to you. You didn't have to play a charachter that says *Oh, yeah. Gotta help that vault*, you could just dick around and come up with your own.

Fallout 3 for example was the complete anthitesis to that. It spilled out your entire fucking childhood. One of the many reasons it sucks.

Fallout 1 had logical and understandable reasons for you character to care and pursue his goal. You could roleplay however you like, but the plot had a simple and relatable hook.

In New Vegas the most sane thing to do plot wise would be to change the line of work and stay at Goodsprings or smth. Not go after a person that almost killed you. The protagonist is completely unrelatable and unrealistic in his pursue of adventures, after what happened to him

Okagron

Prophet
A person totally doesn't want to know why some guy shot me in the head and buried me. Let's just not do anything and not find out why.

Such a fucking stupid criticism leveled at New Vegas. You can also literally come up with a motivation to the character based on the backstory you give them, like wanting revenge (specially because Benny and the Great Khans ambushed you, meaning you were caught off guard. Now you know who they are and you can ambush them). Because that's why the devs leave so much of the backstory up to the player.

Last edited:

Terenty

Liturgist
A person totally doesn't want to know why some guy shot me in the head and buried me. Let's just not do anything and not find out why.

A person was after the chip you were carrying obviously, not after you personally, you were just a collateral damage.

Why would i go out of my way and risk my life again to find out something about this stupid chip and some gangsters?

Codex Year of the Donut

A person was after the chip you were carrying obviously, not after you personally, you were just a collateral damage.

Why would i go out of my way and risk my life again to find out something about this stupid chip and some gangsters? I wouldnt
Remind me to never hire you to carry packages through a dangerous wasteland.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
In New Vegas the most sane thing to do plot wise would be to change the line of work and stay at Goodsprings or smth. Not go after a person that almost killed you. The protagonist is completely unrelatable and unrealistic in his pursue of adventures, after what happened to him

What could be a better motivation than revenge?

Okagron

Prophet

Why would i go out of my way and risk my life again to find out something about this stupid chip and some gangsters?
Yes, because every person reacts the same way to all life events. There aren't totally completely different personalities that react completely differently to life events.

A courier might want to know just why that happened to them. Another might want revenge. Another might want the chip for themselves after finding out people go to great lengths to get it, meaning it's incredibly valuable. You know, fucking roleplaying? Don't know why you have such an issue grasping this simple concept.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
IRL, a lot of people actually wouldn't be interested in tracking down someone who tried to kill them, especially with the Courier's knowledge that he/she was just collateral damage. They'd just be happy they survived and move on with their life.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Voted "FNV good, TOW looks bad", but not because graphics and looks (the whole screech about it is retarded overreaction imo), but because there will be bad gameplay elements in TOW (if ofc devs hasn't changed their mind) like level requirement for weapons and etc.

Also, wtf is wrong with people, who complain about characters motivation in FNV? A revenge is perfect and realistic motivation to pursue that bastard who shot you in head + reputation as worker in wastes matters, if you not planning raider career.

Terenty

Liturgist

Even this doesn't cut it, there was nothing personal

barghwata

Savant

The problem with this argument is that it probably applies to 99% of protagonists in RPGs; setteling down and living a peaceful life is almost always the more relatable and understandable choice to make, but if all RPG protagonists did that, we would probably have no RPGs left to play in the first place.

In FNV you can roleplay whoever you want, no one is forcing you to do the main quest, i played the game five times, three of those times i stopped following the main quest rather quicly and just started dicking around, but i eventually found myself stumbling into the main quest time and time again, this is because the game is written in a way where the world is very cohesive, quests are very much intertwined with each other, and the seconday content is tied to the main content.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
There would have originally been a non-standard game over if you decided to head past the statues into NCR territory. They had too many other issues to deal with to put that in though. :(

I like New Vegas, but the 'errand boy' trope is still dumb. My problem is less with the PC's motivation and more with the fact that everyone is so willing to dump their issues on you. It's something that makes everyone other than the PC look incompetent and too trusting.

This is the nature of the genre.

Codex Year of the Donut
What motivation do you need besides doing the thing that you agreed to do?
If you're not willing to hunt down the guy who robbed you then you shouldn't be taking jobs as a courier :argh:

Nano

Arcane
Patron
There are a ton of banal errands to run in Planescape: Torment and Knights of the Old Republic 2. :)
Nah. That's true to an extent, but it's disguised better than in other RPGs. Like the Old Mebbeth quest for instance, it makes sense that you'd fetch the things she wants, because she's a fragile old lady and you're the one asking a favor from her.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Nah. That's true to an extent, but it's disguised better than in other RPGs. Like the Old Mebbeth quest for instance, it makes sense that you'd fetch the things she wants, because she's a fragile old lady and you're the one asking a favor from her.

I remember a bunch of journal entries I rolled my eyes at because TNO himself complained about how banal they were.

Duraframe300

Arcane
I don't know about you, but I'd be taking getting shot in the head without a choice plenty personal.

Also all the people here saying that settling down would be the most relatable option?

What? No, it isn't. It would only be releatable by being too scared to do anything. A grudge you would ABSOLUTLY carry.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Wait, i don't recall anyone mentioning level requirements for weapons in the previews...
I remember in one early gameplay video there was a moment when guy who played opened inventory and among other things there was level requirement for weapons, just like in Shitout 76 or Borderlands. If my interpretation is wrong - I will glad that I was wrong, otherwise we going to get a game that trying to be Borderlands, while trying to appeal people who don't like Borderlands.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wait, i don't recall anyone mentioning level requirements for weapons in the previews...
I remember in one early gameplay video there was a moment when guy who played opened inventory and among other things there was level requirement for weapons, just like in Shitout 76 or Borderlands. If my interpretation is wrong - I will glad that I was wrong, otherwise we going to get a game that trying to be Borderlands, while trying to appeal people who don't like Borderlands.

The items themselves have levels. Perhaps that's what you thought was a level requirement.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom