Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Poll: The Outer Worlds and Fallout: New Vegas

Which one of these describes your opinion most closely?

• Total voters

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
There are a ton of banal errands to run in Planescape: Torment and Knights of the Old Republic 2. :)
Nah. That's true to an extent, but it's disguised better than in other RPGs. Like the Old Mebbeth quest for instance, it makes sense that you'd fetch the things she wants, because she's a fragile old lady and you're the one asking a favor from her.

Most of the faction give a reason why they can't send one of them to do the work.
The first quest for the Kings for example..They can't do it because Orto would noticed and probably be suspicion, same for most of their quest. Go there , pass as a NCR citizen , discover who hurt our people , etc. And that was all because you asked for work.

Then later the main faction call The Courier to their base because how s/he literaly got shoot in the head , travel across the wasteland just to get to Benny.
They saw pontecial in the courier ,know that we have the chip and they need to a neutral agent for them because some of them are, lacking suplies and men (NCR) , burned with most of the factions ( NCR ) , literaly asked you if you wanted to work with them (Legion) or Mr.House that agent to get into places where him can't get.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
The items themselves have levels. Perhaps that's what you thought was a level requirement.
But why items have levels if you can use them without any level requirement? I mean, it immersion breaking at minimum and require additional work at maximum. I can't imagine that some devs with serious face said "Players can use any item despite of it's level, but we gonna put those 99 soap bricks of 5lvl anyway, because we have to much 1lvl soap on map and we need more high level soap".

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The items themselves have levels. Perhaps that's what you thought was a level requirement.
But why items have levels if you can use them without any level requirement? I mean, it immersion breaking at minimum and require additional work at maximum. I can't imagine that some devs with serious face said "Players can use any item despite of it's level, but we gonna put those 99 soap bricks of 5lvl anyway, because we have to much 1lvl soap on map and we need more high level soap".

I don't know, to help players compare items at a glance? To give them a sense of progression as they acquire HIGHER NUMBERZ? It's a nu-school thing.

https://www.gameinformer.com/2019/02/13/the-wildest-weapons-in-the-outer-worlds

Yes. In addition to increasing your science skill to improve effects, you can also tinker with the science weapons (and other things). “Every item has a level, and if you tinker with it, you can make that level go up, and it makes its damage slightly increase,” Cain says. “So, scientists will almost certainly want to tinker with theirs and raise the level. These are just designed to make that sort of character super fun. So if you want to play Spaceman Spiff, we’ve got everything set up for you.”

Terenty

Liturgist
I don't know about you, but I'd be taking getting shot in the head without a choice plenty personal.

Also all the people here saying that settling down would be the most relatable option?

What? No, it isn't. It would only be releatable by being too scared to do anything. A grudge you would ABSOLUTLY carry.

If the main character is such a badass then it should have been reflected in the fiction somehow. You are a famous courier that always delivers his packages no matter the danger and now you've been disgraced by this low life gangster and its a matter of your reputation to put him in his place.

But no, you are a fucking nobody who got jumped by some goons and almost died from a headshot. Then you come to and suddenly decide to become this tough son of a bitch and conquer the whole Mojave desert.

Sounds stupid even by video game standards

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Since New Vegas is apparently such a great game with brilliant writing, can someone give me a clear motivation for the courier to do anything in the game? Thanks
  1. Revenge.
  2. Curiosity.
You don't need any more motivation than that, especially the latter because as a player, why do why finish main quests if not because we find them enjoyable or entertaining to see through?

Okagron

Prophet
If the main character is such a badass then it should have been reflected in the fiction somehow. You are a famous courier that always delivers his packages no matter the danger and now you've been disgraced by this low life gangster and its a matter of your reputation to put him in his place.

But no, you are a fucking nobody who got jumped by some goons and almost died from a headshot. Then you come to and suddenly decide to become this tough son of a bitch and conquer the whole Mojave desert.

You know this criticism (which is terrible i might add) can be applied to Fallout 1 (the game you supposedly like) as well, right? How does a guy or girl from a vault, meaning they have spent their whole life in an enclosed space, somehow stop an invasion of Super Mutants and defeat one of the strongest Psykers in the Fallout world? Because you are the one that gives the character the backstory necessary for that to happen. Same way you do with New Vegas. I can literally roleplay as an ex-soldier that decided to take the job of a Courier.

We get it, you don't like New Vegas. But now it seems you just taking the piss for no reason and looking for shit to criticze the game for.

Last edited:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
What could be a better motivation than revenge?
IRL, a lot of people actually wouldn't be interested in tracking down someone who tried to kill them, especially with the Courier's knowledge that he/she was just collateral damage. They'd just be happy they survived and move on with their life.

the-whos-who-of-john-wick-ahead-of-chapter-3_4k8h.910.png

In practice, John Wick and the Courier aren't that different. Have you seen the shit the Fallout protagonists pull in a game where you can die all the time with the roll of an unlucky dice?

Duraframe300

Arcane
What could be a better motivation than revenge?
IRL, a lot of people actually wouldn't be interested in tracking down someone who tried to kill them, especially with the Courier's knowledge that he/she was just collateral damage. They'd just be happy they survived and move on with their life.

the-whos-who-of-john-wick-ahead-of-chapter-3_4k8h.910.png

In practice, John Wick and the Courier aren't that different. Have you seen the shit the Fallout protagonists pull in a game where you can die all the time with the roll of an unlucky dice?

Also John Wick is hardly the first time the revenge theme has been used in fiction and cinema. If anything its one of the most popular ones.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
If the main character is such a badass then it should have been reflected in the fiction somehow

If you go talk with caesar after doing quests that hurt or help the legion, not only he mention those but has the same line about you walking across the mojave just to get revenge. Idk but being noticed by the leader of one the most powerful factions in the wasteland is something that i would consider being a badass.

Terenty

Liturgist
If the main character is such a badass then it should have been reflected in the fiction somehow

If you go talk with caesar after doing quests that hurt or help the legion, not only he mention those but has the same line about you walking across the mojave just to get revenge. Idk but being noticed by the leader of one the most powerful factions in the wasteland is something that i would consider being a badass.

Its after the start of the game that you become badass, before being shot you were apparently just a nobody courier with zero ambitions.

Why after almost dying you become a superhero bent on revenge and making a name for yourself?

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Its after the start of the game that you become badass, before being shot you were apparently just a nobody courier with zero ambitions.

Why after almost dying you become a superhero bent on revenge and making a name for yourself?

How do you know the Courier wasn't already a badass that had never been crossed?

Okagron

Prophet

Confirmation that you are too fucking stupid to understand the concept of giving a backstory to the main character, i.e the Courier. A character that was purposely made vague to give the player the ability to insert the backstory and character traits they wish to insert.

Terenty

Liturgist
Because you have a job to finish.

Fuck this job if my life is on the line.

How do you know the Courier wasn't already a badass that had never been crossed?

Apparently he is not so badass. He was captured, tied and shot in the head. It was a miracle he survived. Even the most badass dude would consider changing his job, next time he might not be so lucky

Confirmation that you are too fucking stupid to understand the concept of giving a backstory to the main character, i.e the Courier. A character that was purposely made vague to give the player the ability to insert the backstory and character traits they wish to insert.

You sound like those Skyrim larpers with their wild imagination that never gets acknowledged by the game

Trashos

Arcane

You are thinking of couriers in OUR world, while you should be thinking of couriers in THAT world. What is the probability that a veteran wasteland-courier is not a badass?

Also, you will notice that absolutely noone looks down on you for being a courier.

I hear your criticism often, but I don't agree at all.

Terenty

Liturgist

You are thinking of couriers in OUR world, while you should be thinking of couriers in THAT world. What is the probability that a veteran wasteland-courier is not a badass?

Also, you will notice that absolutely noone looks down on you for being a courier.

I want the game to recognize me as a veteran badass courier. Nobody knows you

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

There’s a whole goddamned DLC about that.

Okagron

Prophet
You sound like those Skyrim larpers with their wild imagination that never gets acknowledged by the game
And you sound like a braindead dipshit that has no idea what he's talking about.

The game can't acknowledge every possible backstory you can give the Courier because it would be impossible due to the Courier being left so vague. The game instead allows you to play that backstory through branching paths and different quest outcomes. That's why you can deal with Benny in several ways.

Terenty

Liturgist

There’s a whole goddamned DLC about that.

I've had enough with vanilla
And you sound like a braindead dipshit that has no idea what he's talking about.

The game can't acknowledge every possible backstory you can give the Courier because it would be impossible due to the Courier being left so vague. The game instead allows you to play that backstory through branching paths and different quest outcomes. That's why you can deal with Benny in several ways.

The only thing you can roleplay with the premise of this game is a videogame character who doesn't care about anything because he knows he can save and load at any time.

You can come up with any background and it will always be fucking stupid

New Vegas was pretty good overall, though I would hesitate to put it among the all-time greats. First, the combat absolutely had to be modded to be enjoyable. Second, the exploration aspects were severely hindered by the quest compasses/markers. The quest structure itself was very often the modern list of tiny tasks. Go here, go there, do this, be a good errand boy.

"pretty good overall" so what are your standard for bad ?

Personally if I play a game that is mostly about combat and combat is shit well I don't lie to myself that game is "decent"

"... the combat absolutely had to be modded to be enjoyable." This implies that the combat CAN be modded and CAN be enjoyable. So assuming you mod it, and I don't see why you shouldn't, the game IS pretty good overall. Especially compared to shit like Fallout 3/4, Skyrim, Dragon Age: Whatever, Mass Effect: Whatever, Dullfinder: Stankmaker, Divinity: Original Cat Joke, and Pillars of Yawning.

The Real Fanboy
A person totally doesn't want to know why some guy shot me in the head and buried me. Let's just not do anything and not find out why.

A person was after the chip you were carrying obviously, not after you personally, you were just a collateral damage.

Why would i go out of my way and risk my life again to find out something about this stupid chip and some gangsters?

barghwata

Savant

I am not sure what your point is because this argument applies to almost all RPGs, in fallout 1 it's the same, you start out as a regular guy who lived in the safety of a vault for all of his life, looking for a water chip but end becoming the superhero badass who stopped the super mutants somehow and saved the world by himself, why would you do that though? why take so many incredible risks and feel as though you're personally responsible for saving the world? most normal relatable people wouldn't do that cuz normal people are boring like that.

Not sure why you need the protagonist to be a regular person, wouldn't you prefer roleplaying someone exceptional instead? would you really enjoy an RPG where you roleplay as Bob the accountant who spends his time doing paperwork and leading a normal and boring everyday life?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom