Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Possible Horror RPG With Renovated Grimoire Engine

Would The Grimoire Engine Be A Good Fit For A Retro Horror RPG?

• Incredible Incline Beyond Imagination

Votes: 100 46.3%
  • Meh

Votes: 16 7.4%
  • Will Wait For Humble Bundle

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • I'm Still Waiting For The Grimoire Manual

Votes: 31 14.4%
  • I Am A Sex Slaver of Vietnamese Orphans

Votes: 22 10.2%
  • Will Never Be Released

Votes: 33 15.3%
  • Hurr Durr I will Pirate It

Votes: 7 3.2%

• Total voters

Leitz

Learned
Should have permadeath. The biggest horror in RPGs is going back to the surface in Wiz1 et cetera.

Dorateen

Arcane
I'd say the scariest episode I've had in a computer role-playing game, the one that evoked the most sense of horror, was aboard the derelict spacecraft in Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday. The one with the brain parasites that take over party members.

jungl

Augur
Is it going be like tales of the crypt. I can see it now investigate a new york apartment. Giant infestation of cockroaches constantly hitting your guys causing nasua and disease. The one chad college kid berserker you asked to tag along ends up killing all the roaches while everyone else is DEAD.

PrettyDeadman

First port Grimoire Egine to Unity, then make a lovecraft game!

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Ăśbermensch Developer
I agree that the amount of characters needs to be much less, maybe four with up to 2 recruitables.

Also, this reminds me - Samhain needs to be much more scary. This has been mentioned before: after the epic story of the dwarf, when you enter it, it's a bit of a let-down. Making Samhain more scary might be a good practice run for a horror RPG with the same engine.

The crack smoking zombie didn't do it for you?

Weasel
Nice, the heroes of Grimoire ride again

ZNnmTNI.jpg

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Ăśbermensch Developer
Maybe consider finishing your first game before moving on to another project...?

Just thought it would be an interesting idea to throw out there.

Grimoire will be underway for quite a while including new content, so don't panic. It's not getting abandoned - but much of the work spent on perfecting it may be recycled in another game of maximum win and excellence. Which is a motivation to make sure the current version is 100% awesome all issues polished and buffed out. That engine will then become the foundation of this Horror RPG.

index.php

Arcane
Should have permadeath. The biggest horror in RPGs is going back to the surface in Wiz1 et cetera.

I really think this is a very interesting idea for a Horror RPG and frankly, I agree it adds a real shock to the game when you can't save scum and death or failure literally ends that game at that point.

There's already a game like this: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...n-h-p-lovecraft-horror-based-roguelike.62701/

PrettyDeadman

I really think this is a very interesting idea for a Horror RPG and frankly, I agree it adds a real shock to the game when you can't save scum and death or failure literally ends that game at that point.

There's already a game like this: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...n-h-p-lovecraft-horror-based-roguelike.62701/
But it's not made in Unity or Grimoire engine.

Iznaliu

Arbiter

March 2020: Cleve releases his new game, Eriomirg: Exemplar of the Herald Wings, at a press event in the Australian outback. He accidentally drops it onto the ground. As soon as that happens, a mushroom cloud erupts from the desert, instantly combusting everyone at the event except for Cleve, who is severely wounded but manages to escape alive. The release is delayed

April 2020: Australian government officials arrive at Cleve's bunker to confiscate all physical copies of the game. They are never seen again. Meanwhile, the game is released on Steam. Within 24 hours it is taken down due to the health risk it causes.

July 2020: After fixing delays and microissues, Cleve flies to the Valve HQ. Security guards try to lock the doors, but he tears them off their hinges and makes his way to president Gabe Newell's office. Newell is reduced to a bloody pulp in seconds, prompting all employees to arrive at the scene. Cleve then heads to the Steam servers, but is caught up fixing microissues. Meanwhile, a US military response is prepared that makes Ruby Ridge look like a traffic stop.

August 2020: The US military arrives, but is reduced to a bloody pulp by Cleve. The President orders an investigation, but all intelligence services are too scared and refuse to shut up.

October 2020: Cleve takes a break from fixing more microissues and enters the White House. (The security guards flee at his sight). By the end of the month, Cleve is de facto ruler of the US. After the UN refuses to recognise his regime, he seeks revenge.

November 2020: Cleve starts nuclear war by launching an atomic bomb at the UN's New York headquarters. The world is left a radioactive mess by the end of the year, and Cleve is left the only survivor. Overcome by misery, he tries to kill himself, but cannot do so; nothing will pierce his titanium skin.

Kage

Barely Literate
You are a great story teller Cleve, and you have shown quite able to populate a game with amazing experience - before the mid-game, Grimoire is flawlessly spectacular. I did have to save-scum in order to work things out due to lack of manual, though.

If you feel it fits your style, or would like to explore horror-style writing and setting, I'd love to play a (shorter than Grimoire) game based off of a Miskatonic hub the way you describe it in the OP. It would also be very interesting to see where you can take the combat system in a Lovecraft setting.

As likely do many other Grimoire players, I would very much like you to finalize any remaining work on Grimoire first, nice as it is to hear you thinking future. I like your outline of V2 features and hope you can find a V2 outline you can finish and everyone be happy with before a next friday :) .

treborSux

Arcane
Scary is something very hard to do, especially with games whose entire framework is build around empowering players. I love horror movies for example, but I have a hard time if anybody would ask me which was the last time something scared me in a movie. Just throwing in some nice gore won't do it, and honestly I don't know what would.
Things that try to be scary are usually too contrived with dumb gimmicks that it's impossible to elicit an emotional response. The only game that legitimately scared me was Top Gun on the nes when I was a kid.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
I would very much like you to finalize any remaining work on Grimoire first, nice as it is to hear you thinking future

As a creative, new projects always sound more enticing than polishing what exists.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom