Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Post at Gamasutra: Moral Ambiguity and Choices in Skyrim

nihil

Augur
Project: Eternity
A featured blog post at Gamasutra by Eric Schwarz (who wrote "How Not to Make a PC Game") discusses the lack of reaction to player choice in Skyrim, and the misuse of moral ambiguity. I haven't played the game myself, so I don't know how accurate it is, but it was a good read nontheless, and sounds like what I would expect from the game.

Enjoy:

Moral Ambiguity and Choices in Skyrim: All Setup, No Payoff

abija

Prophet
However, while the setup plants the seeds for a game with interesting
You can use that and follow up with most of the elements in Skyrim.
They made a nice world and added a hint of everything. Doubt there's anything in this game that was designed, implemented then tested and polished over and over again.

Zomg

Arbiter
It kinda sounds like they have cleared away enough of the Oblivion shithead-design atherosclerosis to get back to the point where the problems of Morrowind become salient again - you reach a point where the eminent stasis and unreactivity of the world overwhelms everything good.

hiver

Is there any, any at all sense in expecting something like that from bethesda of all game devs? Wtf?

Gord

Arcane
Well, you can always hope for it.
And after all, bitching about level scaling in Oblivion has helped. But I don't agree with everything in the article and some stuff about the Markath quest is a bit off.

hiver

Sure you can hope for it, and really, some situations that just naturally require a bit of C&C or further if only an ankle deep development practically stab you in the eye but to seriously expect it from a TES game as a whole...

You can as well complain about the lack of C&C in the next Diablo.

DraQ

Arcane
Zomg said:
It kinda sounds like they have cleared away enough of the Oblivion shithead-design atherosclerosis to get back to the point where the problems of Morrowind become salient again - you reach a point where the eminent stasis and unreactivity of the world overwhelms everything good.
Well, Morrowind was still good, though, and from this article it would appear Bethesda has backtracked out of the oblivious clusterfuck and is at least trying again.

Apart from further ablation of stat system, that is.

hiver

Yeah, well... upon reading the article i can only agree.
Its not so much a complaint about the game not having C&C generally but rather discussing specific situations and quest lines.

The specific situations the writer mentions really do make you feel like there should be something other you could do, some other possibilities and actions to take, apart from killing one group or the other. Which then is not followed by an appropriate consequence or change in the gameworld.
And he is very right in saying that the choice between imperials and Stormcloaks boils down to choosing between two crappy options.

Although it feels to me its actually a better option to go with Imperials on account of Nord racism which is just basically - stupidity. Cant play for the stupid, you see.

While on one hand you have to compliment bethesda for at least going into this less clear and less black&white direction, you have to dislike the lack of stronger repercussions.
On the other hand, fuck... at least they are trying, and thats a lot for that company.

Gord

Arcane
hiver said:
And he is very right in saying that the choice between imperials and Stormcloaks boils down to choosing between two crappy options.

Clearly we prefer an option we can fully agree with, but then again sometimes it's more interesting if you are presented with a choice that makes you a bit uneasy no matter what. Black/white options are a bit of a cliche, after all.
Haven't played the specific questlines yet, though, so I cannot really comment much on them.

Drakron

Arcane
Eric Schwarz said:
In the mix of this are the Thalmor, a group of High Elves who control the Empire following the Empire's defeat in a prior war.

I am going to start with the obvious.
The Thalmor do not control the Empire, they control the Aldmeri Dominion that was once a part of the Empire.

I can understand a bit why someone can misunderstand that as the game does not provides a info dump and you have to learn by reading the various books, also NPCs also talk about things the player is not told as if they are common knowledge.

And that is the problem, the game just functions as if the player is fully aware of common knowledge, now to be fair the player should be informed of such events but you are hinted, even if you are unaware of Hammerfell situation in "In My Time of Need" you are more then hinted of the current affairs and what happened even if the conversation assumes the player knows about it.

Is that a issue?
Maybe ... FF XII did that and provided a glossary that is a poor way of doing it but other games have done so and it worked fairly well.

The argument about consequences and "Status Quo is King" I would say is a good one, if the presentation did not had that serious flaw about the Thalmor but then again I understand the writers are attempting to maintain some level of keeping cohesion for canon for the next TES game, that means some things have to be keep out (example, you cannot use your Dragonborn status to claim the Imperial Throne despite the fact that is a reasonable assertion) and that naturally influences quests, let me give a example.

The Dark Brotherhood and the Imperial Legion seem obvious antagonists that would interfere with the other at points but that does not happen, the reasoning is, I believe, is that as the Dark Brotherhood quest line ultimate culminates in the assassination of Titus Mede II and as that was authorized as a "canon event" and so the Imperial Legion could not interfere with it too much.

Its the compromise that results on the so-called "static world", lets assume both the Legion and the Brotherhood quests interfere.

If you go Legion then you cannot stop Titus Mede II assassination but you can wipe the Brotherhood after were in the Brotherhood you kill Titus Mede II but cannot prevent the destruction of the Sanctuary by the Legion ... and we are back to a "on-a-rails static world" as whatever you do, the result is the same.

You can say the solution I pointed is preferable but my criticism of it is valid, with a IP if you want to maintain a level of canon events you cannot build a sandbox were everything goes.

hiver

Gord said:
hiver said:
Clearly we prefer an option we can fully agree with, but then again sometimes it's more interesting if you are presented with a choice that makes you a bit uneasy no matter what. Black/white options are a bit of a cliche, after all.
Haven't played the specific questlines yet, though, so I cannot really comment much on them.
Oh i agree, naturally.
I also havent played that part of the game yet but from what i understood so far its very likely i would go for the Empire if i had to.

Of course, it would be even better if there was a third, independent option, even if it would lead to both sides becoming my enemies but bethesda is not in business of designing such gameplay.
(apparently there is somethins similar possible but also apparently, it doesnt lead pretty much anywhere)

Drakron said:
Eric Schwarz said:
In the mix of this are the Thalmor, a group of High Elves who control the Empire following the Empire's defeat in a prior war.

I am going to start with the obvious.
The Thalmor do not control the Empire, they control the Aldmeri Dominion that was once a part of the Empire.
And isnt Aldmeri dominion capable of influencing and even threatening the existence of the Empire?
Or have i misunderstood things?

Drakron said:
You can say the solution I pointed is preferable but my criticism of it is valid, with a IP if you want to maintain a level of canon events you cannot build a sandbox were everything goes.
Of course you can. You just choose outcomes you prefer for the sequel as official reality.
Or even let the players choose a few specific things, or take "saves into account" or some such bullshit. Who cares, its a game.

btw... it seems pretty obvious to me that in the sequel we will be restoring the Empire to its former glory, by crushing Thalmor and the Dominion. At least thats what i would do.

Gord

Arcane
hiver said:
Oh i agree, naturally.
I also havent played that part of the game yet but from what i understood so far its very likely i would go for the Empire if i had to.

Of course, it would be even better if there was a third, independent option, even if it would lead to both sides becoming my enemies but bethesda is not in business of designing such gameplay.
(apparently there is somethins similar possible but also apparently, it doesnt lead pretty much anywhere)

I think it's pretty apparent that they aren't interested in much RPG stuff outside of combat and exploration (but you don't really need much rpg stuff for that).

hiver

I wouldnt say thats entirely true, after New Vegas and Skyrim.
Especially when compared to bioware, for example.

Drakron

Arcane
hiver said:
And isnt Aldmeri dominion capable of influencing and even threatening the existence of the Empire?

To start they are still not controlling the Empire.

Also the Dominion cannot win on the long run, the only reason for their initial success was the disarray of the Empire and even their "success" on Hammerfell blown up in their faces as Hammerfell also decided ignore the treaty, succeeded and are fighting the Dominion occupation.

The reason the Empire taken the treaty is easy, they were not ready (the place was falling apart) and wanted time to regroup and organize.

Of course you can. You just choose outcomes you prefer for the sequel as official reality.
Or even let the players choose a few specific things, or take "saves into account" or some such bullshit. Who cares, its a game.

Look Arena was linear so canon was easy, Daggerfall was the test were you could have several diferent outcomes and you know what official canon says about Daggerfall.

Sure you can pick but it seems the writers at Morrowind time wanted to preserve a degree of canon over events so we got the Warp in the West. I recognize the efforts taken to maintain such a degree of canon and the fact TES more often then not have contradicting reports of events.

You might not like the direction they have gone but does not make their decision any less valid, I would say the issue comes when you have the Dark Brotherhood quest line that leads to a major event instead of making such events local so you can put diverging and conflicting paths without fear of affecting the "Grand scheme of Things", after all the Dark Brotherhood quest line in Oblivion end up being a internal struggle as the Thief Guild Quest managed to have a greater world impact then it.

btw... it seems pretty obvious to me that in the sequel we will be restoring the Empire to its former glory, by crushing Thalmor and the Dominion. At least thats what i would do.

I dont think so, with Oblivion it seems they are doing a province per game, even if Valenwood and Elsweyr are possible battleground locations (Black Marsh is not with the Dominion) I would suspect the plot would resolve about the disappearance of the Moons or Falinesti having to taken root.

Luzur

Good Sir
hiver said:

from what i got from the books the Empire made peace/truce with the Thalmor on a stalemate situation, where Thalmor agreed on peace/truce if Talos was outlawed and the Empire agreed on peace/truce if the Thalmor pulled out of Cyrodiil.

not sure though, have not read many books about it.

Drakron

Arcane
Luzur said:
not sure though, have not read many books about it.

Just read the "The Great War".

The Great War said:
"The Thalmor had always been a powerfull faction within Summerset Isle, but had also always been a minority voice. During the crisis, the Crystal Tower was forced to give the Thalmor greater power and authority. Their efforts almost certainly saved Summerset Isle from being overrun. They capitalized on their success to seize total control in 4E 22"

"In 4E 29, the government of Valenwood was overthrown by the Thalmor collaborators and a union with Alinor proclaimed. "

"Within fifteen years, Imperial influence in Elsewyr had so diminished that the Empire was unable to respond effectively to the coupe of 4E 115 which dissolved the Elsewyr Confederacy and recreated the ancient kingdoms of Anequina and Pelletine as client states of the Aldmeri Dominion."

"When Titus Mede II ascended the throne in 4E 168 he inherited a weakened empire. ... Black Marsh had been lost to Imperial rule since the aftermath of the Oblivion Crisis. Morrowind had never recovered fully from the eruption of Mount Vvardenfell. Hammerfell was plagued by infighting between Crowns and Forebear"

"On the 30th of Frostfall, 4E 171 the Aldmeri Dominion sent an ambassador to the Imperial City with a gift in a covered cart and an ultimatum for the new Emperor. The long list of demands included staggering tributes, disbandment of the Blades, outlawing the worship of Talos, and ceding large sections of Hammerfell to the Dominion." ... "Within days, Aldmeri armies invaded Hammerfell and Cyrodiil simultaneously. A strong force commanded by the Thalmor general Lord Naarifin attacked Cyrodiil from the south, marching out of hidden camps in northern Elsewyr and flanking Imperial defenses along the Valenwood border."

"4E 172-173: The Aldmeri Advance Into Cyrodiil"

"The year 4E 173 saw stiffening Imperial resistance in Cyrodiil, but the seemingly inexorable Aldmeri advanced continued. Fresh legions from Skyrim bolstered the Emperor's main army in the Imperial City, but the Aldmeri forced the crossing of the Niben and began advancing in force up the eastern bank. By the end of the year, the Imperial City was surrounded on three sides - only the northern supply route to Bruma remained open.

In Hammerfell, Imperial fortunes took a turn for the better. In early 4E 173, a Forebear army from Sentinel broke the siege of Hegathe (a crown City), leading to the reconcilidation of the two factions. Despite this, Lady Arannelya's main army succeeded in crossing the Alik'r Desert. The Imperial Legions under General Decianus met them outside Skaven in a bloody and indecisive clash. Decianus withdrew and left Arannelya in possession of Skaven, but the Aldmeri were too weakened to continue their advance."

"In 4E 174, the Thalmor leadership committed all available forces to the campaign in Cyrodiil, gambling on the decisive victory to end the war once and for all. During the spring, Aldmeri reinforcements gathered in southern Cyrodiil, and on 12th of Second Seed, they launched a massive assault on the Imperial City itself. One army drove north to completely surround the city, while Lord Naarifin's main force attacked the walls from the south, east, and west. The Emperor's decision to fight his way out of the city rather then make a last stand was bold one. No general dared advise him to abandon the capital, but Titus II was proven right in the end.

In Hammerfelll, General Decianus was preparing to drive the Aldmeri back from Skaven when he was ordered to march for Cyrodiil. Unwilling to abandon Hammerfell completely, he allowed a great number of "invalids" to be discharged from the Legions before they marched east. These veterans formed the core of the army that eventually drove Lady Arannelya's forces back across the Alik'r late in 174, taking heavy losses on their retreat from harassing attacks by the Alik'r warriors."

"During the winter of 4E 174-175, the Thalmor seem to have believed that the war in Cyrodiil was all but over. They made several attempts to negotiate with Titus II. The Emperor encouraged them in their belief that he was preparing to surrender; meanwhile, he gathered his forces to retake the Imperial City.

In what is now known as the Battle of the Red Ring, as battle that will serve as a model for Imperial strategist for generations to come, Titus II divided his forces into three. One army with the legions from Hammerfell under General Decianus, was hidden in the Colovian Highlands near Chorrol. The Aldmeri were unaware that he was no longer in Hammerfell, possibly because the Imperial veterans Decianus had left behind led Lady Arannelya to believe that she still faced an Imperial army. The second army, largely of Nord legions under General Jonna, took up position near Cheydinhal. The main army was commanded by the Emperor himself, and would undertake the main assault of the Imperial City from the north."

"In the end, the main Aldmeri army in Cyrodiil was completely destroyed. The Emperor's decision to withdraw from the Imperial City in 4E 174 was bloodily vindicated."

"Although victorious, the Imperial armies were in no shape to continue the war. The entire remaining Imperial force was gathered in Cyrodiil, exhausted and decimated by the Battle of the Red Ring. Not a single legion had more then half its soldiers fit for duty. Two legions had been effectively annihilated, not counting the loss of the Eight during the retreat from the Imperial City the previous year. Titus II knew that there would be no better time to negotiate peace and late in 4E 175 the Empire and the Aldmeri Dominion signed the White-Gold Concordat, ending the Great War.

The terms were harsh, but Titus II believed that it was necessary to secure peace and give the Empire a chance to regain its strength. The two most controversial term of the Concordate were the banning of the worship of Talos and the cession of a large section of southern Hammerfell (most of what was already occupied by Aldmeri forces). Critics have pointed out that the Concordat is almost identical to the ultimatum the Emperor rejected five years earlier."

"Hammerfell, however refused to accept the White-Gold Concordat, being unwilling to concede defeat and the loss of so much of their territory. Titus II was forced to officially renounce Hammerfell as an Imperial province in order to preserve the hard-won peace treaty. The Redguards, understandably, looked on this as a betrayal. In this, the Thalmor certainly achieved one of their long-term goals by sowing lasting bitterness between Hammerfell and the Empire"

"But the Redguards should not forget the great sacrifice of Imperial blood - Breton, Nord and Cyrodilic - at the Battle of Red Ring that weakened the Dominion enough to allow the eventual Second Treaty of Stros M'kai in 4E 180 and the withdrawal of the Aldmeri forces from Hammerfelll."

I am not quoting the entire book.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Hey, the stuff about the Forsworn is incorrect. If you choose to help the Forsworn leader and the rest of the convicts, they escape the prison and make a beeline straight for the Markarth gates. They kill that one Silver-Blood NPC and any guard NPCs along the way, but they don't kill anyone else or take over. Nothing happens at all and the game doesn't even acknowledge that you helped out this criminal. You can work for the Jarl (he apologizes for the incident!) and the guards don't even attack you during the breakout unless you attack first. In fact, the Forsworn outside the city continue to attack you. It's not picking sides really, it's just deciding how you want to break out of that jail. There is absolutely 0 impact on the game.

You might want to put less emphasis on the consequences of choosing a side in the Forsaken conflict, because there are none.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
cboyardee said:
Hey, the stuff about the Forsworn is incorrect. If you choose to help the Forsworn leader and the rest of the convicts, they escape the prison and make a beeline straight for the Markarth gates. They kill that one Silver-Blood NPC and any guard NPCs along the way, but they don't kill anyone else or take over. Nothing happens at all and the game doesn't even acknowledge that you helped out this criminal. You can work for the Jarl (he apologizes for the incident!) and the guards don't even attack you during the breakout unless you attack first. In fact, the Forsworn outside the city continue to attack you. It's not picking sides really, it's just deciding how you want to break out of that jail. There is absolutely 0 impact on the game.

You might want to put less emphasis on the consequences of choosing a side in the Forsaken conflict, because there are none.
Thanks for the tip. Others have pointed it out. Damage has already been done so I'm not sure if it's a good idea to go back and edit at this point. Even still, my conclusions are pretty much the same.

As for those who wrote about the Thalmor: again, slight inaccuracy, but I don't think it really changes the overall situation or my conclusions.

Regarding "two bad choices" being more realstic: I'm not proposing two equally awesome sides or anything. It's good to have problems to help the positives balance each other out. My point is that by the time Bethesda saddles the factions with so many bad qualities (Tullius is kind of an asshole who doesn't care at all about Skyrim, Imperials are taking it up the ass, Stormcloakes are racist jerks), there's nothing much left to like, unlike say, The Witcher, where you can (until the end) see the value in both sides, or walk the middle ground and still have the game acknowledge that, unlike Skyrim where you basically just lose out on content/gameplay if you say you don't like anyone.

hiver

Look, if Thalmor can force the Empire to ban its most important and core God, who is actually the one who created the empire (or representative of that line of ascendent heroes) - then they really control the Empire, or represent a serious threat.
You cant make such conditions unless youre seriously stronger than the opponent.
Its all but complete capitulation.

As for the sequels, well why not do "Empire strikes back" one province at the time? With dragonborn leading the epic charge from one to the other.

Damn it im giving todd ideas!

Gord

Arcane
sea said:
My point is that by the time Bethesda saddles the factions with so many bad qualities (Tullius is kind of an asshole who doesn't care at all about Skyrim, Imperials are taking it up the ass, Stormcloakes are racist jerks), there's nothing much left to like, unlike say, The Witcher, where you can (until the end) see the value in both sides, or walk the middle ground and still have the game acknowledge that, unlike Skyrim where you basically just lose out on content/gameplay if you say you don't like anyone.

I do think both sides have something going for them. The empire is the empire - culture, greater good, etc. - and probably humanity's biggest hope against the Thalmor - even the worst Nord racist pales in comparison to the Thalmor. The Stormcloaks are fighting for the freedom of their province after wrongdoings by the empire. Both are motivations I can identify with.
The problems are in the personnel of both factions, which is exposing their ugly side. Kinda reminds me of the NCR and Col Moore in New Vegas, which had a very similar vibe to me.

hiver said:
wouldnt say thats entirely true, after New Vegas and Skyrim.

Well, almost all things about the character system are now related to combat, either directly or as a supporting skill. The only exceptions being mercantile/speech pickpocketing and maybe lockpicking. While there indeed are some speech challenges throughout the game - admittedly much better than Oblivion again - imho it will never feel as if you are playing a "smooth talker". Compare that to e.g. what Obsidian did in New Vegas. And this 2 or 3 skills are as far as I can tell really the only thing where the character skills are ever employed outside of things related to combat. In 50 hours I have found zero instances where you had character skill-based challenges outside of the occasional speech checks. But no e.g. check against my level in a given skill (I'm not counting locks I have to pick). No check of a attribute to see if my character can overcome a challenge. Of course that's no wonder given that there are no attributes anymore.

But my point is, when Bethesda said that they removed attributes because they are a unnecessary layer of complexity, this only holds true in their games because they are obviously not interested in adding a reason for this layer of complexity, like the above mentioned checks against your characters attributes.

Majestic47

Learned
It won't be the Dragonborn. They always put you in the shoes of the free-traveling pawn who turned into some almighty demi-god near the end game, like a pawn that crossed the whole chess board.

Except, yeah, in Oblivion they pushed it a bit too far.

Also regarding "Hammerfell was plagued by infighting between Crowns and Forebear"

I can't believe it. TES Adventure: Redguard was concluded with the Imperial Governor slain by Cyrus the Redguard, and his sister took over the Crown ruling by holding on to the sword infused with the Prince of the Crown's spirit. Or some shit like that. How long does this conflict drag on? Shouldn't the Forebears be retreating by now?

hiver

Gord said:
sea said:
My point is that by the time Bethesda saddles the factions with so many bad qualities (Tullius is kind of an asshole who doesn't care at all about Skyrim, Imperials are taking it up the ass, Stormcloakes are racist jerks), there's nothing much left to like, unlike say, The Witcher, where you can (until the end) see the value in both sides, or walk the middle ground and still have the game acknowledge that, unlike Skyrim where you basically just lose out on content/gameplay if you say you don't like anyone.

I do think both sides have something going for them. The empire is the empire - culture, greater good, etc. - and probably humanity's biggest hope against the Thalmor - even the worst Nord racist pales in comparison to the Thalmor. The Stormcloaks are fighting for the freedom of their province after wrongdoings by the empire. Both are motivations I can identify with.
The problems are in the personnel of both factions, which is exposing their ugly side. Kinda reminds me of the NCR and Col Moore in New Vegas, which had a very similar vibe to me.
Both things could have been mitigated by having NPCs available that arent such assholes and through which the player could have some agency.
I guess.

Gord said:
hiver said:
wouldnt say thats entirely true, after New Vegas and Skyrim.

Well, almost all things about the character system are now related to combat, either directly or as a supporting skill. The only exceptions being mercantile/speech pickpocketing and maybe lockpicking. While there indeed are some speech challenges throughout the game - admittedly much better than Oblivion again - imho it will never feel as if you are playing a "smooth talker". Compare that to e.g. what Obsidian did in New Vegas. And this 2 or 3 skills are as far as I can tell really the only thing where the character skills are ever employed outside of things related to combat. In 50 hours I have found zero instances where you had character skill-based challenges outside of the occasional speech checks. But no e.g. check against my level in a given skill (I'm not counting locks I have to pick). No check of a attribute to see if my character can overcome a challenge. Of course that's no wonder given that there are no attributes anymore.

But my point is, when Bethesda said that they removed attributes because they are a unnecessary layer of complexity, this only holds true in their games because they are obviously not interested in adding a reason for this layer of complexity, like the above mentioned checks against your characters attributes.
Skyrim is an action RPG and as such can never have the fetures of a full blown RPG.
Its a kind of a game where half of experience comes from larping in your own imagination. It just gives you the space in which you do it... and some loose rules, very much like old PnP rpgs use to do :lol:
:retarded:

Still, by judging by their two latest games, NV and Skyrim, (yeah of course Obsidian did NV but bethesda let them) - it seems as though bethesda is introducing more and more core RPG concepts into gameplay as opposed to bioware which is moving in exactly opposite direction.

Its quite interesting to me to view this general shift in design as a consequence of one inferior design being borged by another, superior design. Fallouts of old are borging TES, even if it still holds to its own kind of graphical representation and PoV. Quite satisfying to watch, really, since, from the first time i played morowind a light bulb with letter Fallout stuff would make this so much better! turned on in my head.
Seeing them get the rights and everything was almost surreal, years after that.

-maybe someone should do the article about it-

Although speech checks arent many or have some deep role in the game, i still stumbled into a few that ive actually failed and missed some kind of content/option on account of it.
(true most of them give you an option to bribe after you failed persuasion or intimidation but some dont)

Compared to true RPGs its not much at all, but compared to usual TES design its quite a lot.

Especially if you consider that bethesda really doesnt need any of it at all. Theyre selling shitloads of copies just on account of mass market appeal of graphics, epicness of the world and hype.

Gord

Arcane
hiver said:
Still, by judging by their two latest games, NV and Skyrim, (yeah of course Obsidian did NV but bethesda let them) - it seems as though bethesda is introducing more and more core RPG concepts into gameplay as opposed to bioware which is moving in exactly opposite direction.

I never expected a hardcore rpg experience from Skyrim. I had a pretty clear expectation of what I would get and it even surpassed that in some areas. It's a fun game but I'm well aware it's no hardcore rpg.
However, I have some difficulties seeing those core concepts they are introducing. Ok, we have the speech skill, including some checks (sometimes challenging ones, unfortunately at times hurt by too easy bribing) and minor C&C. Not much, but hey, it's something. Also I can live with implied consequences most of the time.

But still, the one "core rpg element" thats severly lacking, is the representation of your character in the game in terms of his skills/attributes. Bethesdas design philosophy seems to be more like "everyone should be able to do everything". I could probably become archmage without ever casting a single spell. Certainly possible in Oblivion. (Winterhold academy is scheduled for my next character)
Why not keep the restrictions from Morrowind, where you had to reach certain requirements in skills to gain a promotion?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom